Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i didn't do it myself but had my regular mechanic do it. Parts were about $300 from the local Toyota dealer: water pump $99, Idler pulleys $60 each, Timing belt $43, plus coolant and o-rings. They actually wanted a lot more but i told them i can order them else where for less money and the guy matched the prices. They also quoted me $625 for labor only so i said i was all set.

For labor, it was about $315 and took him about 7 hours to do it. He didn't run into any issues and things went very smooth. Just like everyone who's done it, it's a lot of unbolting parts and moving them out of the way. The belt was changed out at 90,262 and the parts looked pretty good, pics in my gallery. The water pump was leaking just a little bit but i attribute that to a mildly failing gasket, the bearings were great and the casting showed no pitting at all. The timing belt still looked great without any cracks or abnormal wear. The idler pulleys were still tight but did have a little play so i'd be questioning whether or not they'd make it another 90K, which the parts manager at the dealer said they rarely change them in the 4.7L. Cam and crank seals looked great and weren't leaking a drop and everything else seemed ok.

The mechanic was really impressed with how well built the engine was and how quiet and smooth it was. I think he might be looking at one in the future.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Excellent post ICON! This was exactly the info I was looking for! How was your valves? Did you have to tighten/adjust them any? Again, nice read!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I know their not involved with the timing belt change! :rolleyes: I was just wondering if you done yours yet and if so, how was it? I need to find a good mechanic around here I can trust. The stealership is just soo dang $$$! Sounds like you got a good one!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The valves aren't involved in any way with a timing belt replacement. You don't even take the valve covers off.
Yeah, but if you have shims under buckets like the newer V-8's have this is the time to change a shim if you have to (miserable system IMO).

The camshaft over the shim to be changed has to be removed and the only way you can do that is with all of the junk in front taken off.

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The valves were quiet so the mechanic said if they aren't making noise, don't touch 'em. He said he rarely comes across valves in Toyota's that need adjusting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts