Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't you just know it...I haven't had my new truck but a few weeks and already a rock found its way to my windshield. The peck on the windshield was no bigger than a dime, but I didn't want it running into a long crack so I went to the glass store and they repaired it. Unfortunately, I had to find out that my insurer no longer waives the deductible for repairs, so I was out of pocket $38 plus tax. I called my insurer and found out that they had indeed stopped waiving the deductible on a repair, but for $5 more every six months I lowered my deductible to ZERO on my comprehensive. That's the cost for lowering a policy with a $100 comprehensive deductible to zero (for an 07 Tundra). I figured that was a good deal. Next time I need a repair, or even a full windshield replacement, it won't cost me any deductible.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Not to throw a stone into your newly repaired windshield but...;)

I'm not sure I want my insurance company to see any claim at all from me. If it isn't an issue with my current insurer, I believe it would be for another company. That's always been my philosophy so I carry a $1,000 deductible.:eek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to throw a stone into your newly repaired windshield but...;)

I'm not sure I want my insurance company to see any claim at all from me. If it isn't an issue with my current insurer, I believe it would be for another company. That's always been my philosophy so I carry a $1,000 deductible.:eek:
I also carry a $1,000 deductible on my collision, but I was talking about comprehensive. Windshield cracks and replacements are very frequent for me, given the kind of driving I do every day. In my last truck I replaced at least ten windshields and did many more repairs. It was worth it to pay 5 more bucks every six months and not have to pay out $40 to repair a rock peck (or $100 for a full replacement, which is what that deductible was before I changed it).

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Wouldn't you just know it...I haven't had my new truck but a few weeks and already a rock found its way to my windshield. The peck on the windshield was no bigger than a dime, but I didn't want it running into a long crack so I went to the glass store and they repaired it. Unfortunately, I had to find out that my insurer no longer waives the deductible for repairs, so I was out of pocket $38 plus tax. I called my insurer and found out that they had indeed stopped waiving the deductible on a repair, but for $5 more every six months I lowered my deductible to ZERO on my comprehensive. That's the cost for lowering a policy with a $100 comprehensive deductible to zero (for an 07 Tundra). I figured that was a good deal. Next time I need a repair, or even a full windshield replacement, it won't cost me any deductible.
I did the same on my cars. It's cheaper to go with a zero deductible than to fork out the money every year for glass. Here in OR we have lots of gravel trucks and loose rocks on the freeway. My wifes 05 corolla is on it's 4th windshield already!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had mine for 2 weeks when a rock hit the windsheild under the wiper. The knick is needle point size and not even 10seconds after the rock hit a crack worked its way up about 4-5inches where the steering wheel is and cut across the entire windsheild. :td:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts