Toyota Tundra Forums banner

just in case you were thinking this too...

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  cmb 
#1 ·
Before I bought my tundra, I had a 2007 silverado crew cab. One of the best features of that truck was driver and front passenger auto windows. I wish the tundra came that way. So I was thinking maybe I can replace the passenger switch on the driver's master panel with an auto switch from another master panel and make it work. I found an 08 tundra at a local salvage yard but before going to buy it I took the window switch master panel out of my truck. After studying the part, I found that this idea won't work. So I thought I'd post this and a few pics to save anyone else with the same idea a little time.

So I took the master panel out, then took it apart to see how the switch comes off. In the first pic you can see the "legs" (if you will) of the switches. Notice all the passenger switch legs are on the same side. The driver switch is on the opposite side. So even if I did get the passenger switch removed, a replacement driver's switch wouldn't work there because the legs are different. The switch wouldn't match up with the lever as seen in the second pic. I hope this saves some time for some else.

See less See more
#3 ·
The lack of auto window switches is a big bummer (up/down on driver and passenger) - but not one that lept out at me during test drive... is one of those things you'd expect all new cars to have. Maybe the Platinum has auto window switch for passenger?

Good tip about scavenging the air pumps...

#4 ·
Hoffman Group.com. Bought one of their 'auto-up' moduals a few weeks ago. $57 delivered,works as advertised. I only needed the driver's side but you can buy two for $79 + shipping. When I first tried to order,they were back-ordered,had to wait a month.Instructions were such that even "I" could follow 'em!:p If you go to Hoffman Group's website, click on "Auto-Loc", scroll down ,you'll see "Power Windows One Touch System".

#5 ·
My truck is a Platinum and has auto up and down on the front windows only. I got very used to this on other vehicles I wish it was on all 4 windows.

Maybe you can figure out what is different on the Platinums to provide the auto function.

#6 ·
i guess it just doesnt bother me to hold the button down...our benz has it on all 4 doors, up and down, but tundra only on drivers side....have i lost sleep or even cared? not really......im not in super great shape physically but its not a strain to hold the button down for a few seconds..

#7 ·
you're right, it's not a strain to hold the buttons. The reason I like the feature is because it gets hot as hell down here in AL because of the humidity and when I go out to my truck after leaving work I like to turn the truck on hit the switches and walk away for a few mins. Instead of standing there holding one while all the 100 degree air rushes out of the truck in my face. Yeah I could walk around and open the doors but then I'd have to walk back around and close them. Its just a convenience to have dual auto switches. Sometimes its the little things that make good stuff even better.

#9 ·
Nice find CMB. I was looking at their website. That's a nice price for a dual auto up/down unit. Do you happen to have pics of where you mounted the switches? And how do you wire this to the existing switches? Can you use the factory switches and/or these new ones, or do the auto locs replace the factory switches?

Haha JJ. $1.45 They could have spent the extra money they were saving from all the safety issues they cut back on to install a small switch.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Dukes5.7, all factory switches stay put and get used as normal. The 'modual is the only thing you need a place for. It fit right inside the door panel for me with no rattle after "snugging" it up. Gotta cut and splice some wires,directions were great. The constant "Hot" I found is really small but all seems fine so far.We have a security gate to pass through at work,may not seem like much of a hassle to those that don't but it can be just that.Putting away ID babge, rolling up window,steerring around trafic and parking in the lot.Very little "STRAINS" me,except cluless people.

#12 ·
I know what u mean those auto up downs are great that's why I want it. Do you happen to have a pic of where you mounted your switch?

#14 ·
I personally don't like the auto up/down feature. It's not like it takes a long time to hold it... :confuseda:

#15 ·
hey guys i just traded my 08 sr5 crewmax in for a 10 limited crewmax and want to put the auto up/down in all the windows. I want to have the auto up down to work in all the switched from the drivers side to the individual window switched as well. If i buy the seperate moduales from the hoffman group and put the one in for each window will that accomplish this? $120 to controll all four windows individually sounds pretty cheap to me and will try it if it will work. thanks for the help
Jon

#16 ·
Duke's5.7, I'd have to yank the door panel back off to get pictures !:p Not sure if you're asking about the 'switch' or the 'modual' from Hoffman Group. As for switches,they remain in place and get used as normal. The "Modual" is about 3"x3" (approx), it's what needs to be 'stashed' inside the door panel.I didn't need to pull the panel off. After removing the 2 screws and "special fastener" I propped the panel on a 5 galon bucket after lifting it up to "un-hinge it". You may have to 'adjust' the height of your "prop" to make it a closer fit to the bottom of the door panel.The Modual 'snugged' right inside by pulling out a little on the door panel to make room.You'll see what I mean when you get into it. When first looking at the instructions,I had some doubts if I could handle this.Had to read it through a few times (dead braincells) but it's really pretty simple (like me):eek:. There's a few older posts on here about 'Door Panel Removal',check one of 'em out to get the screw locations.The "special fastener" needs to be pushed in at the center to release it. When re-installing, it pushes in to lock...pretty neat.You might find a better constant hot wire than I did.The instuctions said NOT to use a HOT from the group of wires you're working with,THAT would've made it TOO EASY!:rolleyes:

#17 ·
I personally don't like the auto up/down feature. It's not like it takes a long time to hold it... :confuseda:

its not really about the time it takes. its more about the principle, that you paid for a fully loaded truck, but didnt get one. if you spent the same money on a Denali, youd have auto up/down windows, heated steering wheel, power pedals, LSD, etc. toyota just plain dropped the ball on options for this truck. and unfortunately its all stuff that you wouldnt really notice on a test drive, so now most of us are stuck with the wrong truck.

and once youre used to certain luxuries, its very annoying to have to go without.

#18 ·
Duke's5.7, I'd have to yank the door panel back off to get pictures !:p Not sure if you're asking about the 'switch' or the 'modual' from Hoffman Group. As for switches,they remain in place and get used as normal. The "Modual" is about 3"x3" (approx), it's what needs to be 'stashed' inside the door panel.I didn't need to pull the panel off. After removing the 2 screws and "special fastener" I propped the panel on a 5 galon bucket after lifting it up to "un-hinge it". You may have to 'adjust' the height of your "prop" to make it a closer fit to the bottom of the door panel.The Modual 'snugged' right inside by pulling out a little on the door panel to make room.You'll see what I mean when you get into it. When first looking at the instructions,I had some doubts if I could handle this.Had to read it through a few times (dead braincells) but it's really pretty simple (like me):eek:. There's a few older posts on here about 'Door Panel Removal',check one of 'em out to get the screw locations.The "special fastener" needs to be pushed in at the center to release it. When re-installing, it pushes in to lock...pretty neat.You might find a better constant hot wire than I did.The instuctions said NOT to use a HOT from the group of wires you're working with,THAT would've made it TOO EASY!:rolleyes:
I'm sorry bro. I was asking if you had a pic of where you mounted the switch for module. I was thinking of mounting them in the blanks on the panel to the left of the steering wheel. I was wondering how the switches look when they are mounted. I read the instructions on the wiring the module, it seems very simple. But yeah, if you're able to show me where you mounted your up/down switch I could get a better idea of what I have to look forward to.

#19 ·
No switches to mount. Factory switches on door are the only switches you'll use. The Hoffman Group Modual is the only extra item there is. It gets stashed behind the door panel.After it gets wired in,thats really the only place it can go.Thats really what I was after,no additional switches to find a place for.The 'factory switch pod' snaps up off the door,thats how you get access to the wires you'll be splicing the Modual into_Only reason to "almost"remove door panel is so there's a place to put the modual.Most of the 'operation' (splicing) is done to the factory switch-pod.

#20 ·
ah. In the pic on their website it appears that there is a module and a switch. I see what the deal is now though. Thanks for the info.

#21 ·
You can kill three birds with one stone with an aftermarket DEI alarm. One bird would be auto up/down on all four windows with no additional "Hoffman group" module in your door. The second would be a REAL alarm and the third would be the potential for auto start.

Sorry... I don't like little gimmicks... I go for the whole shoot n match and try to keep any additional pieces of aftermarket crap out of my vehicles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.