Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from a 2002 Tundra AC to a 2008 Tundra CrewMax and one of the first upgrade that I wanted to do was the folding tonneau cover because it was so useful and practical. On my '02 I installed an Advanced Fold-a-Cover. It was nice because it was light weight, easy to remove (I installed some quick release pins to replace the nuts/bolts), and I liked that you can open the panel closest to the cab to access items underneath, or open the rear panel to access items there (which works great if you are using a tailgate extender). There were things I didn't like about it though. The clamping system was useless. I ended up having to permanently mount the latch brackets which still constantly shifted needing re-adjustment. The paint was lacking too. Over about 5 years the paint had worn off significantly exposing the bare aluminum.
Since the time I purchased the Fold-a-Cove there are many more competitive folding tonneau covers so this time I decided to try a different cover. After much research, I decided to go with the BakFlip tonneau cover and here are some of my thoughts.

1) The bolts included with the bed rail kit were WAY too long. Trying to use the supplied bolts would cause the rail to bend inward at the ends because the bolt makes contact with the truck bed. I used some shorter bolts and it alleviated the problem, but still does not fit exactly right, an causes the rail to "bow". They need to use some different hardware for this kit like some short studs (like wheel studs) pre-mounted on the brackets leaving just enough room to install the lock nut from inside the rail.
2) I was really disappointed in some of the hardware included in the kit. Like the sliding arm “retainers” used when the arms are folded down. These are loom or cable clamps, they are not really meant to be used in this manner. They should have used a plastic snap retainer (like the kind used for auto hood prop rod) or something similar. The “bumpers” provided (to protect the cab when the cover is folded and leaning against the cab) are really just foam. How about some rubber bumpers?
3) One of the drain connectors on the rails was broken. I am not sure how they install these at the factory, but it looked like it was threaded into the rail (about two threads worth) and the plastic from the rail was “melted” against the nut part of the tubing barb to prevent it from backing out. This makes for a VERY weak, brittle bond. Is there some type of resin or epoxy that could be used for a stronger more permanent bond?
4) Finally, there was the packaging. When I received my cover, the hardware bag was torn open and bolts, nuts and washers were scattered throughout the box. Luckily I did end up finding all of the hardware (even though the box had a hole in it).

Some of the things that I liked about the cover:
1) The clamping system works great. After my experience with the Fold-a-Cover clamps I was VERY skeptical about the clamps that came with the BakFlip. The clamps with the BakFlip system worked great, the rails were super easy to install, and I am confident that they will not shift/move.
2) I really like the rail system. It dropped right into place, and the latches on the tonneau cover work great.
3) I like the fact that you can leave sections of the tonneau cover open while driving, or open all the way. This is really practical, and that was what I was looking for in a cover. I am however concerned at the longevity of the “hinges” (they are a rubberized, synthetic hinge as opposed to a traditional piano hinge). I am skeptical that they can hold up over the duration.

Anyway, I do like the cover. It seems well built although they did cut some corners. Time will tell.
Just my 2 cents.

Ken

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on the cover.. I hope yours holds up.. Mine is about 2 years old and has some major leaks and has cracks on top a couple of panels.. I have tried contacting them several times and I have yet to hear from them.. I feel like I should have got more than 2 years out of it, or at least some customer service.. anyway sorry for being a kill joy... and good luck with your purchase!

·
Veteran Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow aah, what a buzz kill :)
I am sorry to hear about your cover. I have some major worries about the cover too. I am not crazy about the rubber "hinges". That is kind of asking for trouble. I sent an email to customer service and the owner at BakFlip with my comments on the product. No response. Not a good sign. I expected at least a form email "thanks for the comments...", but nothing. Man, if they don't want to hear from customers they should just remove the email list from their web site!
Anyway, I hope you get some resolution for your issues. You are right, two years is too soon to be having those problems. You may want to email them and let them know that you belong to a truck forum with 165k members and would hate to NOT recommend the BakFlip. That type of email almost always gets me a quick response.
Good luck.
Ken

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Dont worry about the rubber at the hinge points. That may be the best part of the cover. Mine has popped a lot of the rivets that hold the panels into the frames and now have leaks all over the place. Not to mention the panels are all warped in the centers so they collect the water that doesn't leak into the bed. The hinges are the only thing that have yet to show signs of failure. Good luck with yours I hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I emailed Julian COO today and he emailed me back, and said he was out of the country and would get back to me next week.I had already called and left messeges and sent emails to various people.. I am not sure I want to have this repaired; I don’t want to mess with this all the time… I heard the F1 is better but that is what they said about the G2. Maybe it is like a maintenance fee 400 bucks a year for a leaky cover… Anyway, I will let you know what happens…

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its official this will be my last Bak Flip cover.. Julian has never got back with me... I can understand a faulty product once in a while but what I can't take is bad customer service... They just refuse to stand behind their product! Beware of the BakFlip...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad I got on here! I am/was wanting a G2 but from what I heard on here and a couple other sites I'm having second thoughts. IMO if you own a company and your customer service sucks... you won't last or should I say shouldn't last! Any thoughts on anyother tonneau covers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad I read this .....I don't think I'm going with the G2 if customer service sucks.....guess they lost another sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts