Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this truck (V6 4x2, DCab, Long Bed, auto trans) for $23K.

It has close to 30K miles on it. It was certified by the dealer.

Question: do you think I need to have the transmission flushed? I looked at the Carfax report and it would appear the vehicle has never had the transmission serviced. It has the tow package, so there is a factory-installed transmission oil cooler.

Question: how effective is it to drain a measured amount of ATF by opening the drain plug on the transmission pan and replacing the drained ATF with an equal volume of new ATF? My local mechanic charges $140 for a transmission flush on our Sequoia (that is when I supplied him with a case of Toyota ATF, so it would have been more if he'd supplied all the ATF), but there is no indication on the invoice that suggests a filter was replaced. So I'm wondering if I can achieve 50-75% of the good that a professional transmission flush achieves, just by draining and replacing ATF over a period of one or two months. In other words, what more do I get by paying for the profe$$ional flu$h job? Is it money well-spent? I don't know the capacity of the transmission, but the flush job on the Sequoia supposedly required about 15 quarts to refill the transmission. The owner's manual for the Tacoma says that 3 quarts can be drained and replaced. So I'm thinking to drain 3 quarts, whatever, and replace it, and repeat (after driving it) four or five times.

Question: this truck was sold without floor mats, but the VIN comes up as being subject to the floor mat recall. What are the chances I can get some free floor mats from Toyota?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
sorry, can't help much but

if you look you have no dipstick
so you need to add/remove by the toyota way and monitor the temp
and be on level ground, and a bit complicated

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/63851-how-drain-refill-automatic-transmission.html

the mats were pulled for the recall so not much chance to get them back, sorry

note
check and count your rear leaf springs !!! stock was 3, but a tsb added new spring packs so 4 per side.
look at the rear bump stops, see if it has been hitting them!

worse case just load up the bed and show the dealer how it saggs ;-D

deadline is 36k miles

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the quick reply... I had not noticed the lack of a dipstick yet.

The rear leaf springs are 3-leaf, so looks like they declined to apply the TSB. How does one "enforce" a TSB? Just go to the dealer and ask them to fix it?

Regarding the floor mat, I spoke with a CSR @ Toyota, who said I'd be getting a recall notice for the mats, but since the vehicle was sold without mats, I'm at a loss to understand the purpose of seeing them about this truck, at least for that item. The guy said "we recommend you not operate the vehicle with a mat" but if they're not providing a post-recall mat fix (i.e., a mat that does not catch the accelerator), what is the point? Just so they can take the factory/aftermarket mat away?

·
Registered
655 Posts
100k trany fluid,and if you dont fall under the TSB your SOL.sorry,no free floor mats either.great truck tho!!congrats!

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100k trany fluid[...]great truck tho!!congrats!
So you don't think changing the fluid at shorter intervals, say 50K miles or whatever, would extend the life of the transmission?

Thanks for the kind words and the quick reply.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i wouldnt waste the money,we have tons of tacomas that come in here with 200k plus,just follow the regular maintence,and your good to go,and your welcome.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i do normal driving so i should be good for 100K on the tranny, but if you do some hard towing i think i would replace it early ( just my opinion )

now as i said, look at the rear bumpstops, has it been hitting them?

put a load in the bed and drive around, rough ride and hitting the bumpstops?
then go to the dealer with the load and show them !
if that dealer won't do the tsb, then go to another dealer, and you can call toyota !
NOTE: i just have the 5 lug 4 banger and am not eligible for the tsb

i hauled one good load and wow the bump stops and i became good friends, and back sagged bad!

i installed some timbrens on it and later hauled 1K pounds of fence materials, 4 x 4, 2, x 4, concrete and boards and such, made all the difference in the world !
i love the "gentleman's ride" of my tacoma, not a hot rodder ( a bit old for that now) but the timbrens really improved the cornering and load but do cost about $200, but great support, and they will work with you to get the ride right and ship longer ones free (including postage)

so that is one other option for you. and easi8er than air bags ;-D

·
Registered
166 Posts
The leaf spring TSB makes a huge difference both with heavy loads and while cornering when you don't have a load back there. As the previous poster stated, just load it up with anything more than about 500# and drive down a bumpy road or just hit a few potholes and you'll be very unpleasantly surprised at the jarring feeling as the springs bottom out. You can read the TSB if you look at the top of this forum on the TSB thread in the sticky section. After you load it up and notice the jarring ride, tell your dealer that you are complaining about the "harsh ride under heavy load" because that's what the TSB says. For non TRD trucks, in addition to adding stronger springs, this TSB also gives you a free upgrade to the same (all 4) Bilstein shocks that the TRD trucks come with so you end up with the same suspension as the Off Road or Sport for free! If your warranty hasn't expired yet, I'd strongly urge you to get this TSB done asap.

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the replies. A couple more questions:

Is tailgate theft a real problem? I've seen aftermarket locks that can be installed, and other approaches. Is all of this a solution in search of a problem, or not?

What about spare tire theft? With the Sequoia, access to the winch that holds the spare is blocked by the rear hatch/door. But not on the Tacoma. Does anyone put a cable and padlock around their spare tire?

·
Registered
252 Posts
"pop n lock" or thinkthe other one is dnyolock? and do the "hose clamp" trick there is an major theft of tailgates!!!!!!! cost over $500 for tailgate from dealer, or $250 on craigs list and you might be buying your old tailgate !

yep you can put a cable for the spare tire

don't know how much you use the bed? but the side rail system is not that strong ( wiggle your fenders and you will see) what a lot of us do is buy a set of D ings and use the bed bolts to mount them !
need a 55 t to remove the bolt, drill out the center hole on the d rings just a bit and can use as bed tie downs good for 500+ pounds each now here is the best kept secret 5 bed bolts for $5

Rope Ring With Clip B21 5 for $5.00 - Army Surplus Warehouse - Army Surplus Warehouse

toyota will sell yu two d rings for $29 if you can find them
required if you haul a bike, off road 4 wheeler. the bed is great but slippery so a lot get a bed mat i then took a 3 inch hole saw on the mat for holes to access the d rings,and can still work the bed bolts, and now they are flush with the bed mat so no problem putting anything in the bed.

phantom

·
Registered
663 Posts
And just to point out that Toyota was revising the transmission flush interval to 60K miles, not the 100K originally written in many of the maintenance guides (your dealer will have a copy of the letter sent out). Also, you didn't mention which package you have (SR5, TRD Sport). If you have the TRD Sport, then you'll have a limited slip differential and that fluid should be changed every 30K miles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
And just to point out that Toyota was revising the transmission flush interval to 60K miles, not the 100K originally written in many of the maintenance guides (your dealer will have a copy of the letter sent out). Also, you didn't mention which package you have (SR5, TRD Sport). If you have the TRD Sport, then you'll have a limited slip differential and that fluid should be changed every 30K miles.
Which is good because UOAs show that Toyota WS fluid isn't anything special, and should be changed at regular intervals. It should especially be changed at least once to remove any metal shavings from the transmission when new. Yeah, there's a magnet and filter inside the transmission, but it's better to get any free floating ones out sooner rather than later. My rebuilt transmission is about to turn over 40k and I just used it to tow something (and hauled 1400lbs in the bed not too long ago), so you better believe I'll be having that fluid flushed soon (to get the shavings out AND to replace any fluid additives that have broken down).

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2008 has the SR5 trim package.

I was just looking through the scheduled maintenance, and I'm coming up on 30K miles, at which time I am supposed to change the spark plugs. When I had our mechanic do the 60K service on our Sequoia, he replaced the 8 plugs with the Denso 3134 Double Platinum PK16R11 plugs, for which he charged nearly $19/plug. I see I can get the same brand of plug for the Tacoma (Denso 3421 Iridium Long Life SK20HR11) for just under $11 per plug. Are these really worth the money?

How hard is it to change these at home? I would say my skill level is low; I change oil and brake pads, and for anything more I usually go to the mechanic. If I recall correctly, I called a couple of Toyota dealers to get a quote for the Sequoia 60K service, and they quoted me $500 or more, whereas my local garage (whatever certification they have meets factory warranty requirements) charged $330 total, including $170 worth of parts.

Too, while I have your attention, I'm eligible for the suspension TSB, but I'm not sure that I really need it. I don't haul a lot of stuff, and while no one knows what the future will bring, I'm not sure I want the Tacoma to become like my friend's lifted Wrangler, which has a very hard, jarring ride.

I appreciate the advice so far. Very helpful.

·
Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, a tip: I was very pleasantly surprised to find my 2004 Sequoia and my 2008 Tacoma use the same oil filters and front brake pads.

Wheel locks: a waste of money on the Tacoma, or not?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zippy, in regards to the suspension TSB, it doesn't make the ride hard and jarring at all, and IMHO it doesn't make the truck look jacked up. It does raise the rear of the truck but by a barely detectable amount, and the height of the front isn't affected at all. I much prefer it, even when I'm not carrying a load. The ride feels taut but not harsh, and I think that the best part of it is the huge improvement when you're cornering because it keeps the truck noticeably flatter, so when you find yourself, intentionally or unintentionally, going a little too fast around a cloverleaf, you won't feel like the truck is too tall and you're going to roll over. Of course, when you do carry anything more than about 500# in the back, it makes all the difference in the world because you don't get jarred as the springs bottom out every time you hit a bump. It's definitely a personal preference thing but before you rule it out or your warranty expires, maybe you can find a chance to take an acquaintances TSB truck for a test drive? I can't imagine that once you experience it for yourself, that you'd prefer the inferior shocks and weak springs that Toyota only puts on it's USA version of the Tacoma.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hey Zippy,
Like you I bought my truck used so no clue what the previous owner did with it. I did not have the tranny flushed but I did get a drain/refill. It was not a lot of cash and to me the peace of mind knowing that the fluid is fresh is worth it. Now I can monitor for my self if I need to replace it earlier than recommened based on how I use the truck. Mine is a tundra but if I were you I would still at least change the fluid just so you have a starting point. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts