Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wanted to contribute by letting ya'll know I put on a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/55/20's on my 04 Tundra Limited 4WD with the Enkei Deep 6's. I have not lift and they do rub the mudflap very slightly at full turn. It seems to be the section of the flap that juts toward the front of the truck on the inside of the wheel well. I am probably going to trim this back by 1/2 " or so to stop the rubbing.

I took off some 295/45/20's and got about 1.5" lift out of the new, taller tires. You can feel a little more 'squish" on the turns, but nothing that feels untoward. No noticeable noise on the streets, a slight "whir" on the highway. I have the Borla exhaust, so even that is barely noticable. They look awesome on the truck, I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Thanks to the Forum for all the insight! :tu:

CB.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have them on my 2008 Tundra. They are a great tire. They get awesome traction, quiet on the roads but they dont wear very well. Mine have 12,000+ miles and have lost1/2 the tread.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I knew they would not wear as well as some others, but they seem to have it down in the traction department, which was higher on my priority list. But I do hope we both see more than 24K from them!

CB.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little added input, took them on some dirt and grass fields and they handled great. Pushed me right up a 6 foot mound with about a 45 degree, no slipping, no 4wd.

Also, had a couple of inches of rain this morning. Went out while it was still raining and tried to break them loose in a normal driving scenario with quick take off from stop, they did not budge. This rubber is STICKY (probably short lived as well because of it). I am sure I could break them loose if I really wanted to, but they feel VERY good in the rain. Several sizeable puddles. no movement let alone hydroplaning.

Mud test tomorrow!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Al, I'll try to get som up soon. Any preferences as far as angle/tread view? I will say if I had put a 1.5-2" lift on the front. I could've fit 33's on there. I may level it still.

Mud day at the hunt club. Handled 2-3 inches of squishy mud well, not wet. not dry. I did go into 4 low just to make sure I could do it since I was alone. I will say the mud packed in the tread pretty quickly. If it were wetter, probably not. But as soon as I was out of the mud on dirt/clay, it fell right out in about 10 feet. The Nitto Trail Grappler may have done it better for more money and noise, but I am very pleased so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, here's a few pics, not specific to the tires, but they show them pretty well. Still very happy with these rubbers so far. Grip is awesome, tried to peel out a little coming off gravel and as soon as they hit the pavement, they GRABBED it! Great in GA Clay/red mud too. They will hold some in the tread, but seems to sling out quickly and easily. About 1,500 miles an no issues, other then the fact that they do rub the UCA when turning hard on a bump or hill.:mad: Should I be concerned about this???:confused:

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
Nice. I just got mine installed today, went with the same size you got but I got Yokohama prada spec X. So for so good, I had initially trim off that piece of the flap your are talking about where the rub ac cures. So I have zero rub, on my 295 it was really close so I just removed that piece of the mudflap for piece of mind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK boys and girls, I am about ready to replace the Zeons. I have 45k miles on them, mostly hiway to the tune of about 80 miles a day, and they have been great. I could easily squeeze another 5k out of them I think, but they have lost most of the grip at this point. If I were going to stay on-road, I would keep them a little longer, but it is prime off-road season in Jawja!

I have been running various Coopers for years now (Maxima, Sierra, Altima, MDX) and have always been pleased with performance and life, especially in conjunction with the price.

The Zeons have been great off-road, in mud, gravel, etc. Great traction for a 20" tire. I cruised around easily in the Snowpocalypse of 2011 in Atlanta. The town was litterally shut down fro 5 days. I was able to get wherever I needed, pulled a few cars our of ditches, and had fun doing it. Excellent performance on road as well. Never had any issues in the rain, never hydroplaned, etc.

I'd give these five stars. A great choice if you are looking for a hybrid street/AT tire, these really fit the bill. Would not hesitate to buy them again. That being said, I am replacing the Deep 6's with some 16's, but I am waffling between shoeing with the Cooper STT's or the BFG MT KM2. the Coopers are about $100 less for the set, so it seems like Cooper's pricing is starting to catch up with the big boys.

Anyways, there is a full life report on the Zeons. Great tires, I cannot think of a disparaging thing to say about them.

- Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts