Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many of you guys received a new maintenance manual from Toyota specifying that if you are using 0-w20 syn, you only need to change the oil every 10K miles. I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with that long of a period of use between changes. Anyone else have thoughts/experience on this one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I already started doing that after my first oil change in 2007.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
That's good news. Using 5-20 Mobil 1 syn or Castrol syn whichever they have, I've been going 5K miles, occasionally a bit over. With this recommendation, I may allow it to go even more over when I'm not towing. If you think about it, 7 quarts is a lot of oil, and the 5K recommendation is for dino oil which is considered much less stable and more prone to loss of viscosity after extended exposure to heat.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
You received an actual Toyota approved OEM manual???, or something from your dealer?
The mothership is still singing the same tune they always have...5k...07s to 09s
Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website
Maybe it changed for the 2010s or the 4.6?
I love to go 10k between, the 0w20 oil and filter has always come out clean as a whistle since my second change at 5k.

Got pics?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Please scan in this manual and share or even take a picture and post. I'd like to see this in virtual writing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes--I received an official manual and a letter communicating that it was a replacement for the one issued when I bought my truck.

The manual, and the letter specifically state that only 0-w20 syn oil is recommended for the 10K milage interval. If you use 5-w20 syn or conventional, the recommended interval is still 5K miles.

Yes--I have a '10 4.6L, but the manual covers all engine versions--notes are made to all maintenance rschedules with the same syn oil/10K interval statement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wondering how many of you guys received a new maintenance manual from Toyota specifying that if you are using 0-w20 syn, you only need to change the oil every 10K miles. I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with that long of a period of use between changes. Anyone else have thoughts/experience on this one?

Thanks!
I just finished reading an Automobile Engine rebuild manual for "Recording for the Blind & Dyslectic" where regular oil changes are vital for modern engines using automatic variable cam degree adjusters. Oil pressure is the main ingredient that operates the check valves and bodies to accomplish changing the cam profile. These oil passages and screens are very small and are susceptible to particle stoppages. No matter what oil I used, I still think I'll keep up the 5000 mile interval with synthetic 0/20 or 5/20 oil.

Just my thoughts...virg

·
Registered
60 Posts
3000-3500 on conventional oil
5000 at most on syn.
but thats just me, i dont do enough highway drivng to make the syn. oil work the way its suppose to?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tundradrenalin: WIX Filter purchased from AMSOIL Dealer.

This spring all fluids (excluding fuel and windshield fluid) will be AMSOIL products.

Mick

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
After my last oil change, I've decided to do 10K miles on the filter between changes, and 5K for the oil (so 2 oil changes:1 filter change).

·
Registered
513 Posts
i've been doing this with the mobile 1 that says it's good for 15,000 miles. i use the TRD filters form sparks. do a lot of hwy

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I can speak from personally experience with my 2002 Tundra and my 2007 Tundra and our 2002 odyssey van and several family members who use Amsoil and go 10k between oil and filter changes and we have never had an issue and I personally have been using synthetic at least the last 10 to 15 years.

I personally know many other people who have taken oil samples and sent them off for lab testing to check for contamination and viscosity at the 5, 7, and 10k milage interval with no issues what so ever regarding break down problems or any other issues (like metal in the oil or sludge). These test were only run on Amsoil so I can't speak for other brands. Some have changed the filter at 5k miles and added another quart to replace what was lost and then go another 5k miles to ensure that proper filtration is occurring but I think this would only be necessary if the filters you are using are not designed to withstand that kind of milage usage or you possibly are in harsh conditions like heavy dust etc.(usually off brands that are cheap). Typically, if you buy a filter designed to run synthetics you will be fine is what I have discovered. Due to the fact that our trucks now use a cartridge design, I have been told by other dealers like Mercedes, who has been doing this for years, that this design is designed to run synthetic intervals without a problem.

I have just under 140k miles on my 2002 and I have had synthetic in the engine since the first oil change and have gone 10k every time on the oil and filter and sometimes a little over and have never had a problem and that truck has been exposed to a dirt pit environment its whole life. That means that I will have done 14 oil changes in 8 years. I hope that helps!!! Good luck in whatever you decide!!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Toyota's "recommended" intervals are simply MAXIMUM length service intervals Toyota requires owners to abide by in order to keep the powertrain and emission warranties in effect. They are adequate intervals for owners who sell/trade every 75-100K miles.

But owner's who want to become members of Toyota's 200K - 500K mileage clubs and who follow these maximum intervals will likely pay the consequences in the long run (after 100K miles) in the form of deteriorated valve stem oil seals that cause blue puffs of smoke out the tailpipe and prematurely poison the catalytic converter, a check engine light for "catalytst efficiency below threshold" at between 100K-150K miles (cats cost $500-1000 each), hydraulic valve lifter trouble, timing chain trouble and so forth.

If it was fashionable to monitor fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions the way it is fashionable to monitor oil condition
(via oil analysis) it would quickly become apparent to owners that driving over 5,000 miles on any oil is a self defeating proposition for owners who desire to have a troublefree Toyota for 200K-500K miles.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Talked to a Amsoil rep at the LA boat show. They are recomending 10 k on their oil and a filter change at 5k, until they develop their own filter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My 98 Dodge Dakota had a recommended dino oil change interval of 7,500 miles when not used in harsh environments or towing.

RE: 3K mile changes, that was just oil company marketing trick to get people to buy more oil. Go ahead, try to find a manual that recommended 3K mile oil changes. Bet you can't find one.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I would recomend doing a couple of shorter intervals before you go the full 10k miles on ANY synthetic. Toyota motors tend to shear some abrasive metals until they have about 20k miles or so. YOu have silicons, and other sealants used at the factory that infiltrate the oil so it's best to change early for a while.

Also, your first run of synthetic will be quite ugly due to the extra cleaning abilities. If you've always run synthetic, i see no problem whatsoever going 10k miles. You'd give yourself a little more cushion if you used the higher end oils like Amsoil, Redline, PP, or mobil one extended.

This is just from my personal experience and learning from other sites, so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts