Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the timing belt and water pump in my 01. No problems until today, day 3 I noticed a small leak that looks like it is coming from the bottom timing cover right behind the crank pulley. I am certain it is the water pump. I put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket and torqued it to specs. What else could I have done wrong?

Also, how long until the leak could damage the timing belt? It's a small leak, how long could I get away with driving it before I should be worried?

Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Coolant is very corrosive, especially to rubber. I would fix that ASAP, even consider another new belt. If it were to snap later on you would be bummin'. Sorry to hear about that. Maybe the water pump had a bur or something?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't know if the same applies to TB cover gasket, but the transmission gasket has to sit and harden for at least an hour or so after a fluid change.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Was this a OEM New pump or aftermarket? If it is coming from the weep hole it should be warranted but your labor would not be which hugs! Not sure if both pumps are rebuilt units or new?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Like 5 Speed said, you have to make sure and get ALL of the old gasket material off before putting on your new pump. If you did, great, if not, you aren't the first one to make this mistake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was this a OEM New pump or aftermarket? If it is coming from the weep hole it should be warranted but your labor would not be which hugs! Not sure if both pumps are rebuilt units or new?
I was careful not to use too much gasket sealant to keep it from squeezing out into the pump. Maybe used too little?

I was an aftermarket pump from Autozone. I'm pretty sure I got all of the material off, but I may have missed a small piece. HOPEFULLY I'll see when I get back into it if it's coming from the weep hole or what. too bad you can't see the thing when it's flowing under pressure.

We actually drove on it from Tulsa to Omaha and back this weekend (800 miles round trip) The leak seems to be getting faster now.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I just changed mine and didn't use any sealer since the factory gasket already had sealing beads ran around it, didn't see anything in the service manual about adding sealer either, may have overlooked it, but most of the time the gaskets that have factory applied beads don't get additional sealer? Mine's not leaking as of yet.....knock on wood :rolleyes:.

*EDIT - Just confirmed with the local Toyota service department that they do not apply sealant to the factory gaskets. I noticed that the gaskets in some of the non-factory kits are just the plain flat gaskets, so those I would definitely use sealant on.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
It is also a good idea to pressure test the system slightly prior to putting it all back together.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
theres the problem
x2.

I'm all about aftermarket parts......just look at my truck, the only Toyota mechanical parts left on it are the engine and trans (trans not for long :devil:), but when it come to hard-to-get-to critical engine parts, the last place I would buy them from would be Autozone.

As a matter of fact, over all the years of performing my own maintenance on numerous vehicles, I've learned the hard way that the only things I'll purchase from the chain stores is some fluids and wax. The turning point was when I installed a "lifetime warranty" throwout bearing from Autozone in my Jeep and when I got it all back together it rumbled......so I pulled the trans and t-case back out and paid twice as much for one from NAPA and it was smooth as silk - after pulling the trans twice in a day I officially wrote their junk parts off for good. I've had the exact same experience with brake pads, belts, gaskets, etc.

If I were going to buy something like that, other than from the factory, it would be from NAPA.......but their quality is now getting questionable too. I used all factory Toyota parts for my timing belt job because I didn't want to save a few dollars up front, just to spend twice that with issues down the road......call me old fashion :D.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Aisin is a good manufacturer, they actually make most of the stock water pumps for Honda and Toyota I believe. It will look a little different than the toyota one or the honda one. Because they have honda and toyota stamped on them. Aisin has Aisin stamped on it. Other than that I cant really tell the difference in the 2.

I have used 3 or 4 aisin pumps recently because they are cheaper than OE but are made by the company that makes the parts for Honda and Toyota

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't use any sealer either and it hasn't leaked yet. (Knock on wood also) Also used new OEM pump.
The instructions with the water pump said to use it. I thought it seemed wierd too! I won't this time. Picking up a new gasket and belt on the way home, going to tackle it again tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll be able to see where its leaking from when I get in there.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Not the compressor....you might blow up the cooling system!
It's a little hand held pump that replaces the radiator cap....with a pressure gage...pump it up and watch the gage...or look for leaks.

Here is a link to one: Radiator Pressure Tester Kit 12270

Maybe harbor Frieght has one....or AutoZone?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
What is your opinion about 99-07 Toyota Land Cruiser Tundra 2UZFE Timing Belt kit - Volkstoy Motorsports. They seem to be OEM. There was a post that said that their water pump was better quality than the one from Toyota.
The Volkstoy timing belt kit is excellent. The parts are all either OEM or made by the OEM manufacturer for Toyota. I installed the kit in my 2002 Tundra last year and was very satisfied with the quality of the parts. The prices are well below what you would pay for the same parts from the dealer. I couldn't use the serpentine belt because I have a SC on my motor and my serpentine belt is longer than stock so they shipped me the kit without the belt and deducted the cost of the belt from my order. Very good customer service and easy to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The instructions with the water pump said to use it. I thought it seemed wierd too! I won't this time. Picking up a new gasket and belt on the way home, going to tackle it again tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll be able to see where its leaking from when I get in there.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know
If it's not a factory Toyota gasket I would follow the directions that came with the pump. The factory gasket already has raised sealing beads built into the gasket and also has metal reinforcement areas.

If your gasket is a flat, paper style gasket you will want to use a sealer. I'm not a big fan of spending money at the dealerships, but for certain things I do - one is the Toyota FIP sealer. The black sealer is excellent for engine parts sealing, and in my opinion a helluva lot better than what you can get at an auto parts store....

Using sealer is not a bad thing, just don't go crazy and goop it on - more is not better in this case. I'd put a very thin bead on each side.

Are you sure you didn't get a hold of a bad water pump and it's leaking out of the weep hole on the bottom of it? I'd take a close look at it before putting it all back together. Maybe used a small mirror and flashlight once you get down to the pump and try to see if the water is actually leaking from the pump. I like to investigate and try to determine as good as possible where the problem is occurring before tearing things apart - lesson hard learned :).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts