Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got opinons on these?

I'm thinking of just replacing the filter because I've heard mixed reviews on full intakes and they're obviously more expensive. What does everyone think?

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I have put the air filter on all of my vehicles. Dont expect any gains in hp or mpg. I use them simply because they are cheaper than buying a paper filter every 10k miles. TRD makes a reusable air filter as well.

·
7,925 Posts
The K&N does flow very well but at a cost. It does not filter as well as the stock filter or a wet foam filter. I ran a K&N for 16,000 miles and it came out looking exactly the way it did when it went in - brand new clean. At the same time I began to notice that my oil was the dirtiest I had ever seen. It was so dirty that it looked like it had soot in it and I thought I had blown a ring.

I now run a True Flow foam filter with the True Flow intake kit and love it. Truck runs great, oil is clean, and filter is absolutely filthy (like I mopped a machine shop floor with it) every time I change my oil.

In my opinion it is a matter of choice:

• do you want the possibility of flowing more air (even though you will rarely operate the truck in those RPM ranges) at the price of poorer engine protection, or;
  • do you want good flow with superior engine protection?
Just an added note your truck already has a cold air intake so do not get taken by K&N's "CAI" as theirs actually draws warm engine bay air.

EDIT: Here are some dirty and clean pics at roughly 5,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I completely agree with every word above. I have played with the filter itself and the CAI and I felt best with stock no matter what. That's with stock exhaust, an after market muffler, headers and muffler, whatever. All around, I'd rather have cleaner oil and cool air so stock airbox and paper filter for me. The sound is cool, no way I can deny that.:D

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi there is a thread here. on how to modify your stock box.
look into that.
if you really want 1 try VOLANT cai.
i had: stock w/paper filter,
stock W/ K&N filter
K&N cai,
&
my volant- still installed.
unless you plan on being at top end, you will be wasting your money.
you can spend it in so many other places, where it would make a immediate difference.
also this subjuct has been beaten to death. do a search. you will see so many threads & posts.
everyone has there opinions, & i have mine, & it's already been posted.

if you worry about mpg, be careful what mod's you do, they do in fact effect your mpg.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
141 Posts
highway lizard pretty much nailed it... I ended up doing the same thing, running a k&n cai with a trueflow filter attached to it instead of the k&n.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You've got to be kidding. No, no one has an opinion. You obviously didn't have the courtesy to do a simple...

SEARCH. Use it. It is your friend.
Remmy, you sound like an old man... Yes he should have used the search I agree but lets help him out as so many users have done already... :D

Happy Friday and drink alot, drive fast, pary hard and see you on Monday...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ditto, don't expect the claimed 15hp gain or whatever. the sound is plenty for me haha, you hear the v8 much better. And I follow the recommended cleaning cycle. KN has a filter restore kit that is extremely simple to use. Definately look into the KN filter restore kit or whatever if you get the intake

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you go with the k&n cai, and use the k&n filter (as opposed to tru flow or something else), they sell k&n filter covers to help improve filtration efficiency if you have any worries about that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ya, as far as filtration goes, I'm partially satisfied by how much I have to clean my filter. The filter has done great for me. Same as any other filter, just washable and reusable. I will say that it doesn't pay for itself until you've gone about 100,000 miles with it but its still a nice filter and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Don't waste your money on a drop in K&N filter.

The true flow filter K&N tube is nice and Highwaylizard nailed it.

Volant makes a very good intake but pricy.

I'm running the stock intake and filter. Does a fine job for me. I change the filter about every 12k.

·
7,925 Posts
I now run a True Flow foam filter with the True Flow intake kit and love it.
highway lizard pretty much nailed it... I ended up doing the same thing, running a k&n cai with a trueflow filter attached to it instead of the k&n.
The true flow filter K&N tube is nice and Highwaylizard nailed it.

Hey thanks guys. Just for clarification as I do not want to mislead anyone here - I am running the complete True Flow intake kit. This is the drop in foam filter using the stock air box (slightly modified at this point) with the True Flow Intake tube (not the K&N intake tube).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I like that set up. The actual HP improvement may be small, but the sound would be nice. It only seems to improve the part that needs improving rather than being a cookie cutter tube and cone like K&N. The true flow smoothed the rippled area of the stock tube, see below and compare with Lizards pictures.
this part here could use some help

Note on the K&N how there are so many ways that it draws hot air.

If you REALLY want to breathe though, you have to do something in this area.:D

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Hey thanks guys. Just for clarification as I do not want to mislead anyone here - I am running the complete True Flow intake kit. This is the drop in foam filter using the stock air box (slightly modified at this point) with the True Flow Intake tube (not the K&N intake tube).

Sorry about that highwaylizard. I thought you were running a K&N intake tube with the true flow filter. My bad.

Chris

·
7,925 Posts
I like that set up. The actual HP improvement may be small, but the sound would be nice. It only seems to improve the part that needs improving rather than being a cookie cutter tube and cone like K&N. The true flow smoothed the rippled area of the stock tube, see below and compare with Lizards pictures.
this part here could use some help

Note on the K&N how there are so many ways that it draws hot air.
Hey Tundrunk, really good pics showing the gaps around the K&N "CAI" Thanks for posting those. Yep - lots of work to make that back into a CAI. I too like how the True Flow smoothed out those ribs in the intake tube.
If you REALLY want to breathe though, you have to do something in this area.:D

I am envious of your headers. Someday, someday.

Sorry about that highwaylizard. I thought you were running a K&N intake tube with the true flow filter. My bad.

Chris
Hey No problems Chris - I just did not want anyone to think I was running a K&N tube when my signature states I have the True Flow.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Courtesy?
By "courtesy", do you mean when someone new to a forum spends some time doing an actual search before posting up a question covered as many times as "K&N air intakes/filters", "lifts", "will my tires rub if I run ___ tires", etc??

It's disrespectful, lazy, and polluting to a forum to continue to re-add the same question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts