Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys,

Not too long ago I bought a K&N drop in filter and installed it. Didn't feel much of a difference but did increase MPG by about 1. I started looking at CAIs and noticed that all of them had a straight through design. The stock intake however has the rubber "silencer" so why not get rid of it and make it more CAI like? I bought a silicone hose off ebay 4in by 9in for 15 bucks shipped. You don't need 9 inches but it was sold at that length.
WARNING*CUTTING INVOLVED*
Start modding...
I took apart the stock intake and silencer. With a hack saw I cut the silencer off; on the silencer there was a little notch I made sure to take that off too so the hose could go on.

Look at the right of the pic its the last plastic ring that connects the silencer to also this is how much you should cut off, NO LESS

Be sure to clean inside the intake for plastic shavings, don't want any of that to get in the engine.
Now cut the new intake hose, 5 inches is ok but I do recommend 5 and 1/8 inches.

Old intake hose VS. New intake hose(NO RIBS!)

The 4 inch diameter wasn't exactly snug but with clamps it all fit.

Put the intake back together and done. Easy as that!

First Impressions: WOW
Throttle response is great! Fells like I gained a good 2-3 hp and for sure another 1 MPG. With the K&N drop in before the mod there was a whistle when ever you hit the gas but somehow the new hose reduced the sound by 70%. Engine at cruising and normal driving seems to be more quiet and much much more smoother running, better shifts, smooth idle. Idle sounds GREAT. Sounds like a small diesel very good with windows down. Overall very simple mod and took about an hour. Same result as a intake I bet but for a fraction of the cost.
K&N filter for 50 and the hose for 15. $65 CAI :devil: :first:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nice! I would do this but already bought a K&N intake for cheap. Have you thought about adding another intake hole?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nahhh I think I'll be good for now. I've seen the mod and don't want to cut through the fender!

·
Registered
918 Posts
True flow does something similar but I don't know if they offer it for the GEN2. Aftermarket rectangular filter in stock box with less restrictive tubing.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
First Impressions: WOW
Throttle response is great! Fells like I gained a good 2-3 hp and for sure another 1 MPG. With the K&N drop in before the mod there was a whistle when ever you hit the gas but somehow the new hose reduced the sound by 70%. Engine at cruising and normal driving seems to be more quiet and much much more smoother running, better shifts, smooth idle. Idle sounds GREAT. Sounds like a small diesel very good with windows down.
Overall very simple mod and took about an hour. Same result as a intake I bet but for a fraction of the cost.
K&N filter for 50 and the hose for 15. $65 CAI :devil: :first:
Good for you for personalizing your truck , however I don't believe a single one of your estimates.

Gained 2-3hp? That's less than 1% power increase. You really think you can feel that?

For sure gained 1 MPG? Come on, you don't really think that, do you? Did you do controlled driving simulations before/after?

Quieter engine? Doubtful.

Better shifts? LOL That's just funny.

Smoother idle? My idle was rock solid when my truck was stock (and still is with the supercharger). I don't know how anyone could make it smoother.

Like I said, good for you for personalizing your truck. I think the silicon hose looks better than the OEM ducting. I can see people getting color-matched tubing, etc to add some accents under the hood. But for any of your perceived gains, it's all in your head. Happens to everyone after they do a mod. You're just paying more attention to small things, and re-noticing how great of a job Toyota did when designing our Tundras.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
True flow does something similar but I don't know if they offer it for the GEN2. Aftermarket rectangular filter in stock box with less restrictive tubing.
As far as I know, True Flow went out of business. Airaid has a kit that consists of a drop-in filter and smooth intake tube called the Airaid jr.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good for you for personalizing your truck , however I don't believe a single one of your estimates.

Gained 2-3hp? That's less than 1% power increase. You really think you can feel that? For sure gained 1 MPG? Come on, you don't really think that, do you? Did you do controlled driving simulations before/after? Quieter engine? Doubtful. Better shifts? LOL That's just funny. Smoother idle? My idle was rock solid when my truck was stock (and still is with the supercharger). I don't know how anyone could make it smoother. Like I said, good for you for personalizing your truck. I think the silicon hose looks better than the OEM ducting. I can see people getting color-matched tubing, etc to add some accents under the hood. But for any of your perceived gains, it's all in your head. Happens to everyone after they do a mod. You're just paying more attention to small things, and re-noticing how great of a job Toyota did when designing our Tundras.
Rone, buddy, why do you want to poop on his parade? Just play nice and say "good job man". If you are stuck in crumurgen land I'll say it..."Good Job Man. Looks great - way better than the Paul Bunyun - condom looking thing!" :D

·
Registered
681 Posts

Gained 2-3hp? That's less than 1% power increase. You really think you can feel that?

For sure gained 1 MPG? Come on, you don't really think that, do you? Did you do controlled driving simulations before/after?

Quieter engine? Doubtful.

Better shifts? LOL That's just funny.

Smoother idle? My idle was rock solid when my truck was stock (and still is with the supercharger). I don't know how anyone could make it smoother.

Like I said, good for you for personalizing your truck. I think the silicon hose looks better than the OEM ducting. I can see people getting color-matched tubing, etc to add some accents under the hood. But for any of your perceived gains, it's all in your head. Happens to everyone after they do a mod. You're just paying more attention to small things, and re-noticing how great of a job Toyota did when designing our Tundras.

I agree with RONE...it looks cooler than stock, but there is no way you gained anything performance or MPG wise with this mod. Props for trying something different tho!!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Respects your opinions guys.. No hard feelings :) I like it. It might just all be in my head but sure feels like I got some gains out of this

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The potential for gains is there, but not certain. Bellows cause turbulence, and thus restriction, but are required to protect air flow meters from engine vibration. A bit of volume is added, too. The easiest way to find out what is happening would be to measure the voltage off the AFM before and after the mod.

·
Registered
315 Posts
One of the reasons there is the accordion boot from the factory is to allow the torsional movement of the engine under heavy loads without pulling on the airbox (that is ridged mounted to the body). Because the tube used in your mod can not stretch you run the very likely chance that it will pull the airbox bolts directly out of the fender, causing damage to the airbox or fender without making provisions to allow the airbox to move with the engine.

I do commend you on your project, everything looks nice and there is no question that smooth bores flow better.....just know there is a reason the accordion was utilized.

~JH

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
It probably made the engine more responsive as opposed to gaining hp. The ribs or convolutions in the stock tube slows air flow so at low engine rpm it presents a restriction in the airflow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with RONE...it looks cooler than stock, but there is no way you gained anything performance or MPG wise with this mod. Props for trying something different tho!!
To be fair here, there is no way you can know if there was definantly no gain in performance without a before and after controlled performance analysis. I'd go as far as to say that he has more credibility claiming a slight increase in performance having driven the vehicle before and after the mod.

If there is no problem ocurring from the lack of give in the hose ..I say good job and enjoy your performance gain.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Because the tube used in your mod can not stretch you run the very likely chance that it will pull the airbox bolts directly out of the fender, causing damage to the airbox or fender without making provisions to allow the airbox to move with the engine.
The silicone hose should have more than enough give in it to allow engine movement. It's used in many applications on radiator hoses, air to air tubes, etc. for that very reason.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The silicone hose should have more than enough give in it to allow engine movement. It's used in many applications on radiator hoses, air to air tubes, etc. for that very reason.
Sure they will flex side to side but wont gain in length....period, and torsional movement will pull (*or push depending on engine rotation, however I am almost certain the tundra pulls) on the box.
The amount of movement will be dictated on the compliance of the motor mounts and HP/TQ/load of the vehicle and are why these are made:

Silicones such as these allow for pull/compression.

-Not to sound like an a-hole but trust me when I say I have more experience in this then the average bear. ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rone, buddy, why do you want to poop on his parade? Just play nice and say "good job man". If you are stuck in crumurgen land I'll say it..."Good Job Man. Looks great - way better than the Paul Bunyun - condom looking thing!" :D
He has a supercharger give him a break...he KNOWS TRUE POWER..not this 1 HP stuff...:D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'll send points for the write up! Not one that I'll be doing but I commend your customization and the detailed write up

1 - 20 of 26 Posts