Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding it quite hard to believe that at trade-in value, my 2008 CM Limited Tundra is at $30,400. Mind you, this price was with an additional 5k on my odometer (24500) just to see if down the road I was going to get a camaro..:confused: jw from everyones perspective, is that believable? I mean, i paid 33000 for the truck, with around 6500 more or less on top of that from a trade in, but for the gas guzzler she is, could I see $30k on a trade in?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Run it thru the Edmund's site as well. Also note that any extras you put on AFTER the fact do not really count when you check off the options on these sites. The options generally refer to OEM / dealer options added before you bought it from the dealer. Additionally, these sites can be weeks behind, so you are not truly looking at a contemporaneous (alleged) value. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's hard to tell from your post, but I think you are saying that you are actually surprised that the trade-in value is that high. Correct? You were expecting a lower value.

Some other guy on here just posted that he got $30K in trade for his '08 CM Limited.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sometimes the online calculators are in sync with real world market conditions in your area, sometimes not. When a vehicle is traded, the customer and dealership switch hats for that portion of the deal and the normal rules of used vehicles apply: It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The only real way to get an idea is to shop it to a few different dealerships in your area.

·
Registered
859 Posts
KBB is usually off the mark when it comes to Trade in, especially if you are in an area with high supply. Edmunds is much closer to the mark. Just be honest and only include FACTORY add-ons.

Also, deprecation is about 9k from the figures given. 33k plus the 6500 trade in 'on top of that'. Is that correct, you paid 33k AFTEr deducting for your trade?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sometimes the online calculators are in sync with real world market conditions in your area, sometimes not. When a vehicle is traded, the customer and dealership switch hats for that portion of the deal and the normal rules of used vehicles apply: It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The only real way to get an idea is to shop it to a few different dealerships in your area.
Excellent advice. It's all hypothetical otherwise.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I think you should buy a calculator lol. I figure $9100 depreciation in 2 years. ($6500 more or less for his trade-in +$2600)
I think you should buy hooked on phonics...It worked for me!! LOL!!! If you read the OP...he paid 33k for the truck and he is saying that trade in is $30,400.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
I just shot through the KBB site using your truck and I got the following:

Excellent
$28,475

Good
$27,075

Fair
$24,675

And most places will rate it "Good" or "Fair" at best even though you might have an immaculate truck. Of course I do not know everyone of your options. That was based on 25K miles..With 30K miles I got the following:

Excellent
$27,675

Good
$26,275

Fair
$23,875

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think you should buy hooked on phonics...It worked for me!! LOL!!! If you read the OP...he paid 33k for the truck and he is saying that trade in is $30,400.
Yeah, but he also says that his trade of 6500 was on top of that, which makes 39500.

I'm cheap, so I dont buy at that end of the scale, but would a new CM Limited be 33000 or nearer 39500?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Yeah, but he also says that his trade of 6500 was on top of that, which makes 39500.

I'm cheap, so I dont buy at that end of the scale, but would a new CM Limited be 33000 or nearer 39500?
You can make one 40K if you want.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Idk i think that $6500 shouldn't be counted in as that wasn't the original price for the truck. He signed for that $6500 of upside down so if he get's 30k after 2 years, thats bada$$!!!:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think my reading and comprehension are just fine. He paid $33000 + $6500 trade in (no different than if he sold his trade for $6500 to a private party and paid that w/his $33000). Oh well I gueiss we can't not all be *** eduakated as I are lol. Either way I hope it all wirks out for the op

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Bottom line is if you trade, you LOSE. Dealer wins! They are not in business to not make money. As you might know they just give you less off the vehicle you are buying to make up for the more they give you for your trade.

IMO...That is were the consumer needs to be educated at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just for reference, my trade in according to KBB for my 08 CM Limited was $34k at Good. I took it to CarMax They offered me $30.5k. The dealer ended up giving me $30k but I got a tax credit of $2k for trading it in so I went with the dealer. My sticker for my CM was $46k but I paid like $39k when I got it. It had 18k miles on it. I now have a 2010 CM and am loving it. :)

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
What KBB are you guys using, or how long ago did you run the numbers? LOL I just checked every option possible on the CM limted and the price is for a CM limted 2008 on trade:

Condition Value

Excellent
$31,000

Good
$29,600

Fair
$27,200

4x4 might bring a little more, but I did not use that option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts