Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 sequoia. I have a magnaflow exhaust...when they put it all back together the resonator was back on. I figured keep it so I don't get an extremely obnoxious high school kid civic sound. I am pleased with the sound, but now questioning if it could sound better. I want deep and aftermarket sound. Not stupid loud though. What are everyones thoughts about keeping or trashing resonator after a magnaflow. I have a k&n intake if that matters. Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
it is a sequoia, a family SUV so i say keep it if that what you use it for but than again sum exhaust tones are soothing even with flow-masters or drone master to others . . . . . take it off clap on a delete pipe and see how you like it but hold on to it ,so either way u cant keep it off or runn it . i dont have mine and i know of others who kept theres and theres a difference

good luck , have fun

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have a 14" Magnaflow, P/N 11225. I left the resonator for 6 months to see how loud it would get - not much louder than stock. I had the resonator removed. IMO, it sounds good. It has a deep tone without being overly loud.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i removed mine. only time it is loud inside is when i am at 30 mph and it has not shifted up, at 70 it sounds like i am running at 10mph.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Have the resonator but not sure if I should take it off. It sounds good now so I understand where you are coming from. There should be a good exhaust shop in your area that could probably cut it off for really cheap. Tell them your intentions in case that changes how they will remove it. Hang on to it. If you dont like how it sounds, put it back on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I don't know if the guy I was talking to was just being lazy or what, he said if its cut off and can't be put back on. Reason being there is a turn in the pipe right before the res. If its cut off they have nothing straight to weld it back on to. Should I get another opinion?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just put a flowmaster 50 series delta flow on and cut out the resonator because I didnt think it would of made that big of a difference leaving it on. It sounds just about right now, not highschool kid loud but nice and rumbly....

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I don't know if the guy I was talking to was just being lazy or what, he said if its cut off and can't be put back on. Reason being there is a turn in the pipe right before the res. If its cut off they have nothing straight to weld it back on to. Should I get another opinion?
I know you have a sequioa and I have a tundra but I would think the routing would be the same. The guy I talked to said it would be no problem. Have you actually had a look underneath to confirm for yourself how much distance between the resonator and the Y where the 2 pipes come together?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you have a sequioa and I have a tundra but I would think the routing would be the same. The guy I talked to said it would be no problem. Have you actually had a look underneath to confirm for yourself how much distance between the resonator and the Y where the 2 pipes come together?
Sounds like they are setup different. Been under it a couple time(my friend has a lift in his barn). 2 inlets in muffler, 1 out. The out connection goes over frame then back down to a elbow. Looks like the elbow is finishing into the reonator. I don't know anything about bending this stuff which is why I don't know if he was telling the truth or not.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Not quite sure I understand your layout but just went and looked at mine again to be sure. There is probably a diagram of the exhaust systems somewhere on this site. I only have about 4 or 5 inches from where the 2 pipes meet and then go into the resonator. But there is enough there to cut it off and put it back on again if it is done right. Sounds like maybe you want to check out another shop in your area. The place I went to was referred to me by a friend before I went there, so I already knew they do good work. Hope it works out for you. If you do cut it off, reply here and let me know how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
keep it at highway speed it get really loud inside the cabin of the sequoia. the tundra an sequoia have two different exhaust lay out they are not the same. I kept stock pipes and add a magnaflow muffler and very happy with out come and it is on a 2004 sequoia

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
OK, so I had the resonator cut off last week. Exhaust was leaking so I thought I would lose the resonator while they were welding the exhaust. I am not really happy with it. I have read other posts about this and I think I am the exception here but I just find it loud in the cab. Not really a nice rumble but more of a drone around 2000rpm. I am going to leave it off for the summer and give it time if I get used to it but so far I am disappointed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheap thanks for the feedback. Kind of what I was afraid of. Even if you don't like it, it was worth a try to just see.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I may have to change my mind again. Just yesterday I noticed water pouring out from under my truck. It was at one of the joints in the exhaust where I just had it welded. I crawled underneath and had a look. What a mess. They did a crap job plus welded it at the factory C clamp joint where I told them not to mess with it. I am on day shift for 2 weeks so I wont be able to do anything with it for a while. Once I get it back in the shop and get them to fix their mess I will update here again. I know that when the exhaust is leaking it has a bad drone. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cut off the muffler / resonator on my 04 tundra with a 4.7 and just put in a cheap turbo muffler. At 2,000 rpm I get a bad drone in the cab from about 60 mph to just under 70. I'm planning on putting the resonator back on and seeing if it at least moves the drone to a different rpm. Did pick up a little extra mileage, though. Wasnt really expecting that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts