Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to keep it looking like this. Should I just wipe down with a cloth or is there something you can spray in the business to keep it looking nice?

thanks!

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
That's crazy clean. I'm afraid mine will never look that good for a couple reasons. Currently too dirty and laziness to clean to such detail. I'd love to see it look like that though! :cool:

Does yours look like that now? Or is that a picture you found?

I've seen some members with engine bays like that on TS. They are frequent fliers in the Detailing forum. One is a moderator, I think the detail job was prerequisite. They say you clean it with a pressure washer, dry it thoroughly, use a good glossy cleaner like 303 or something, and wipe it dry (no greasy finish). Probably takes a long time to get the impressive detail like you show in that picture.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I try to keep mine as clean as I can. It's not that hard to do. I usually take it to the car wash and use the degreaser option the rinse it and then spray it with WD-40 or buy some simple green and do the same thing. Looks awesome!!!
This is what mine looks like. I still haven't sprayed the WD-40.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's crazy clean. I'm afraid mine will never look that good for a couple reasons. Currently too dirty and laziness to clean to such detail. I'd love to see it look like that though! :cool:

Does yours look like that now? Or is that a picture you found?

I've seen some members with engine bays like that on TS. They are frequent fliers in the Detailing forum. One is a moderator, I think the detail job was prerequisite. They say you clean it with a pressure washer, dry it thoroughly, use a good glossy cleaner like 303 or something, and wipe it dry (no greasy finish). Probably takes a long time to get the impressive detail like you show in that picture.
thanks for the help.

yeah thats how it looks now. it came like that from the dealership, its an 06 with 27,000 miles on it...i thought it was a scam haha.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Whenever I wash my truck I pop the hood and hose everything off. My Tundra
is an '02 with 101K miles on it and it looks pretty much like yours does now,
without the shine. A good degreaser or Simple Green helps out too.

John

·
Registered
657 Posts

Followed up with a detail spray such as AmorAll or 303.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I try to keep mine as clean as I can. It's not that hard to do. I usually take it to the car wash and use the degreaser option the rinse it and then spray it with WD-40 or buy some simple green and do the same thing. Looks awesome!!!
This is what mine looks like. I still haven't sprayed the WD-40.

dont use wd40, it will dry out your plastic and rubber pieces, its alright for greasing metal but not plastic or rubber, stick to black magic or armor all

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Looks good and detailed for 2006.

If it sees salt from snow, wash more frequently. If no salt, 1x or 2x a year
works well. Use garden hose (prefer to stay away from high pressure) to wash everything
down. Simple Green works well for me. Wipe it all down and some 303 protectant keeps it
looking sharp. A little wax on inner fenders and firewall adds to the look.

Here is mine on 2000 Tundra. (I have added some mod detail to the 4.7)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Looks good and detailed for 2006.

If it sees salt from snow, wash more frequently. If no salt, 1x or 2x a year
works well. Use garden hose (prefer to stay away from high pressure) to wash everything
down. Simple Green works well for me. Wipe it all down and some 303 protectant keeps it
looking sharp. A little wax on inner fenders and firewall adds to the look.

Here is mine on 2000 Tundra. (I have added some mod detail to the 4.7)

SHOW OFF!!!! :p

/Mike

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
If one would just wipe down their engines once a week, you can keep that baby lookin' as good as new for many years! Very nice engine bay JB!
Thanks for the comment. I like to detail and coming from the old school, nice to open
the hood and see the same detail inside. More mod detail plans this Spring and she will look a little different under the hood. Will update when done.

SHOW OFF!!!! :p
/Mike
Thanks. Whether stock or with some mods, a clean engine bay just looks nice.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
jbtoy, how on earth does one clean all the little 1/4" and smaller hose lines, like brake, a/c and ps, that run throughout? I've tried spraying with simple green and then spraying with water, but it still ends up cloudy looking. Of course if I rub the spots, it comes out. Sometimes dried mud doesn't want to leave.

I'm guessing someone will say, "just replace the lines with new ones." Which may be a good option next year when the plat warr ends.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
jbtoy, how on earth does one clean all the little 1/4" and smaller hose lines, like brake, a/c and ps, that run throughout? I've tried spraying with simple green and then spraying with water, but it still ends up cloudy looking. Of course if I rub the spots, it comes out. Sometimes dried mud doesn't want to leave.
I'm guessing someone will say, "just replace the lines with new ones." Which may be a good option next year when the plat warr ends.
I probably have an advantage here. All my hoses were replaced with SVH, which is easier to keep clean. Also, a little 303, normally, also makes it a little easier to wipe and clean.

A little wax on inner fenders, firewall, and some of the metal lines, goes a long way as well. Lastly, I have replaced almost all bolts on fenders/firewall with stainless, which makes it look better and not have 3 different colors from bolts aging, rusting, etc.

From my experience, Simple green works well, but, for cleaning dust, dirt, and hoses, (assumes no oil leaks, etc) prefer to keep it diluted. If too strong, it does leave a cloudy effect on hoses, especially, OEM black. Also better to not let it dry completely without wiping it. Complete engine cleaning, and then start final wipe down. A warm engine, NOT hot, also helps this process. I think letting the water dry in air adds to the residue cloudy effect, IMO. Lastly, maybe a little more work than some want, but, a little extra time with wiping cloths sprayed with 303 or equivalent, completes the job. I prefer this method than direct spray on hoses, because you need to wipe it down anyway. When done, admire and smile :) I like a clean engine bay, as part of detailing,
especially when so much time is spent detailing the outside, might as well do the whole package.

Do it a couple of times, and each time it does get easier and faster. Hope that helps
a little.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i haven't read every post. but don't use oil base products. such as armoral. try to find a water base detailer.
it will shine just as good. i have seen armoral brake down many parts. makes hoses mushie. the worst part is than all dirt dust grease climg's to it. making it alot harder to clean. also to much degreaser, can dry out parts.
i usually spray a degreaser to a rag, every light - 2 spray trigger pumps, and wipe. keep flipping the rag & changing them, once you get it clean, polish/seal & wax everything that can be waxed.
i also have high heat hose cover's. they do dry out after a few years. i went with red & white.

i know many go off roading, thats a whole different story.
prop's to anyone that cleans the engine bay after aweekend off roading adventure.
it's alot of detailed work, to get deep down, under, in tight spaces really clean.

again *** mostsleek*** has the pictures.
***i hope 1 of you know him, & can get him to post the pictures of the 07 south florida TS meet/show***.
by the way, the way jbtoys tundra look's, i just knew his engine bay would be so clean you could eat off it.
prop's bro! and to all of you that keep your tundra clean everywhere. it show's alot about a person.
90% of the time, there home looks the same, & the way they carry themselves.
gorilla

·
Registered
554 Posts
A mild suddzy soap and a soft paint brush works very well to clean up the dirt from all the nooks and crannies. Really doesn't take very long to do ( takes me about 15 minutes). Stay away from harsh cleaners as they will dull the finishes. Rinse very well, and if you are anal and want to avoid water spots, grab your compressor and blow the water off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
All this rinsing under the hood seems a little risky to me. Is it safe to be washing the inside of the engine bay? What about the risk of all the electrical components getting wet?

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA mine is soooo dirty...i sprayed it down once with gunk Engine brite but was too lazy to wipe it down....so i just sprayed it all off and called it a day....lol

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
All this rinsing under the hood seems a little risky to me. Is it safe to be washing the inside of the engine bay? What about the risk of all the electrical components getting wet?
You will not have any problems. A little water is fine. The key, stay away from high pressure. I have used garden hose with fan spray nozzle and never had any issues.
A bath once in awhile is fine for the engine and it will look better too.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts