Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are so many threads on "selling the tundra" I figure I make a thread on "keeping on the tundra".....I like the Tundra just in case you guys didnt know :tu:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Great thread...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Great.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Since there are so many threads on "selling the tundra" I figure I make a thread on "keeping on the tundra".....I like the Tundra just in case you guys didnt know :tu:
:tu: GREAT THREAD! :tu: Not ONLY do I still LOVE my 2008 Tundra, I am in talks with a dealership, right now, to upgrade my situation to a new 2010 Tundra. This time I am getting ALL the bells and whistles. Last time I settled for the 4.7 Grade. This time going ALL THE WAY!

In closing, I would like to wish good luck to all TS members that think the grass is greener on some other manufacturer's parking lot. Hope all works out for you. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
The plan is at least 10 years and 150-200 thousand miles. I love this truck. I also loved the last one before the front end and started to fall apart at under 75000 miles and I needed rotors once per year.

The PLAN is to keep it for at least a decade. But I make big down payments and stay 'right-side-up' on any vehicle I buy. Mine is an 09 Crewmax purchased new and I already owe less than 18K on it. If the time comes to walk away I like to be sure I'll make out OK. You just never know nowadays. The hardest part is making a dealer believe you're not lying when you say you owe nothing on your 5 yr old vehicle. I guess that's just not common anymore.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I plan on keeping mine, until the price of repairs begins to regularly exceed the blue book value. Keeping it through a 2 year period of wheel vibration before I finally got it corrected speaks for itself.

I don't care for the look of the new tundra and I can't stand a vehicle where I can't do most of the maintenace myself (e.g. tranny fluid change on new tundra).

My biggest problem has been most of the exhaust heat shields falling off and having to periodically check for missing exhaust bolts that rotted and fell out. Last month I had to pull over and stop to pick up one of my catalytic converter heat shields covers that fell on the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I was shopping for my used Tundra I found out that the majority of used cars fall in the 2-3 year old range. After 4+ year old it kinda tapers off in the classifieds. Does that mean after 4 years most people tend to hold on to their cars? And does that mean most people have an itch to get a new car every 2-3 years??

·
Registered
918 Posts
When I was shopping for my used Tundra I found out that the majority of used cars fall in the 2-3 year old range. After 4+ year old it kinda tapers off in the classifieds. Does that mean after 4 years most people tend to hold on to their cars? And does that mean most people have an itch to get a new car every 2-3 years??
Id say so. Those who know they wont hold it long like to dump it while it still has some value, ie a trade value in the teens or 20s. I think after that its more to do with an unexpected change in circumstance. Most people are probably also leasing for 48 months or less if they go that route.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, we bought the Tundra not quite 3 years ago (it will be 3 years old near the end of July) and I'm hopeful that this thing will get me through my son's high school graduation (he is 3.5 years old now). I plan on keeping this a long, long time. Hopefully, no big accidents or anything will throw that plan off. As much as it is exciting to own something "new", I'd rather have something useful, fun to drive, and dependable. I'm hoping I won't get the AIP/Valve issue and hope that I can run this thing into the ground and then some before having to replace it. Its great to be able to drive something that works well and is completely paid off!! I'm looking forward to having many, many years of that starting in just a couple of months... :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I ain't going anywhere for a long time - 3 years on my '07 and the only problem was the Carve 20's that came on it pitted out due to camping next to the ocean for months at a time. The dealer replaced them for free just before the warranty expired. Someone asked me yesterday if my truck was new. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The plan is at least 10 years and 150-200 thousand miles. I love this truck. I also loved the last one before the front end and started to fall apart at under 75000 miles and I needed rotors once per year.

The PLAN is to keep it for at least a decade. But I make big down payments and stay 'right-side-up' on any vehicle I buy. Mine is an 09 Crewmax purchased new and I already owe less than 18K on it. If the time comes to walk away I like to be sure I'll make out OK. You just never know nowadays. The hardest part is making a dealer believe you're not lying when you say you owe nothing on your 5 yr old vehicle. I guess that's just not common anymore.
I've had mine going on 9 years now, 160,000+ miles. No problems so far and I've used the crap out of it. Wanting to upgrade to the 5.7 to help with towing our 5er, but will probably keep this one for a few more years.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts