Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the DNX5140 tonight. Easier than I thought... I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge I was able to draw from this forum. Metra Dash kit looks like its straight from the factory! Parking Sensor Mod worked for the 5140 just like it did for the 5120s... I was worried it wouldn't. Didn't have time enough to get the Factory backup camera mounted - still not sure of some of the procedures - so I'll be hitting the forum up for some more info later in the week.

Thanks,

Reggie

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Sounds great, but you cant start an install thread without a few pictures. :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
^^^^^2nd that^^^^^^

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point taken... I wasn't able to get these photos during the day and I used my blackberry, so I apologize. Anyway - I don't have the panache of some of the other installs, but it serves my purpose perfectly...

Installed the Kenwood DNX5140 w/ a JL 12W0v2 sub and JL G1300 amp. I kept the factory speakers for now - ran out of cash. For those that are wondering - the parking brake bypass used for the 5120 works for the 5140 as well. I had the box custom made for the sub by Custom Sounds - had to add fiberglass to fit the depth of the sub. Box looks like its got a nipple - fits nicely under the seat w/out touching so I was happy. Mounted the amp to the back wall using a piece of MDF and silicone glue - OEM black cover keeps it out of sight.

Again I do appreciate all the information I was able to pull from the forum - made the install very easy.

Reggie.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks good dude. :tu: I installed the 5120 in my truck and it looks just like yours...I am probably going to install the 5140 in my wife's 4Runner when I get some money and time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ryanhokie2001, but I should be thanking you. It was a majority of the information from your post that allowed me to get all the information I needed. I'm glad you sought out the information.

Reggie

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very nice. I have never installed a stereo let alone a GPS/DVD stereo, but I have decided to install one of these kenwood's or an AVIC 90bt. What kinds of tools will I need? I dont really have any tools besides a craftman 122 pc mechanics kit.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You really dont need too many tools to take the dash apart. The dash comes apart by hand but you'll need a 10mm socket to remove the factory radio and re-install the new one. You'll also need a soldering iron and some solder, but some butt connectors and a crimping tool will do just fine for making connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts