Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here so first, hello everyone.

I ordered my system from crutchfield on Friday, hoping it arrives before the weekend so I can head home from college and do the install at my parents house cause my dad has all the tools.

Here's what i ordered:
Kenwood 9960 head unit
polk audio db6501 components (front doors)
polk audio db6251 components (rear doors)
jl audio stealthbox for crewmax (13tw5)
jl audio slash 500/1 amp

I am looking forward to getting the install done, I have heard the 9960 is an improvement on the 9140 which was already excellent. We shall see soon enough. I feel pretty comfortable after reading all your posts, but I'm sure i'll have questions for those who have done similar installs once I get started. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sick! It looks to be an awesome HU. From what I've read, most are satisfied. I can't wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome. Let us know how it goes. I've got the 9960 and a couple of 13tw5's on order too.

What are you doing for steering wheel controls? Are you going to be adding any Satellite Radio or HD Radio module? What about the CMOS-300 back-up cam?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sidenote: really like the apple profile pics. You fellas keep it real. P.S. Apple is a solid stock pick right now due to the release of the iPad and new generation of Macbooks.

In other news:
I am not a big fan of steering wheel controls and the truck does not have them currently, so I don't plan to add any.

I really want satellite radio, but I did not order that for now. I may actually order one today.

About the backup cam, I have the factory backup cam with the flipdown screen above the rearview mirror. Question: If I follow the instructions in the forums and tap into the factory camera, will the existing flipdown screen quit working? I can't seem to find a thread that specifically says what happens to the factory screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any insight to which is better: sirius or xm?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone have any insight to which is better: sirius or xm?
I've owned both and prefer XM's music channels. But I prefer Sirius' talk radio. So, I'm going to go with XM with the "Best of Sirius" package. You do know the companies merged, but they still operate as different services?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I gotta say that I'm really bummed about Kenwood only allowing for one external accessory. I want HD Radio AND XM! :( Unfortunately, there's only one input in the back. :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with HD Radio because it will be cheaper and no external antenna required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I got the head unit and speakers installed this weekend! I installed HD Radio, tied into the factory backup camera, ran the ipod cable to the glove box, installed the GPS antenna, and installed the microphone so the bluetooth would work with my phone. Everything on the head unit was easy to set up and works perfectly (running all the wires was not easy though haha). The head unit is excellent; it does not disappoint! It seems to have plenty of power for the polk components in the front and polk coaxials in the back.

I wired my factory backup camera in differently than most. I tied into the reverse sensor wire in the passenger kickpanel and the video signal in the driver's A-pillar. I left the factory flip down screen intact and let it provide the power to the camera instead of the head unit so I did not have to install a voltage regulator to provide 5-7 volts to the camera. This worked great, but as expected, I lost the ability to turn the camera on anytime from the head unit. The truck must be in reverse for the camera to display, but when in reverse, the factory screen and the head unit screen both display the backup camera.

Sub/amp will be done next weekend; I'm still working on a plan for mounting the amp to my satisfaction. I learned/figured out a ton in the process of installing everything so far, and I would be happy to pass on anything I can to help anyone doing a similar install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Update: I got the head unit and speakers installed this weekend! I installed HD Radio, tied into the factory backup camera, ran the ipod cable to the glove box, installed the GPS antenna, and installed the microphone so the bluetooth would work with my phone. Everything on the head unit was easy to set up and works perfectly (running all the wires was not easy though haha). The head unit is excellent; it does not disappoint! It seems to have plenty of power for the polk components in the front and polk coaxials in the back.

I wired my factory backup camera in differently than most. I tied into the reverse sensor wire in the passenger kickpanel and the video signal in the driver's A-pillar. I left the factory flip down screen intact and let it provide the power to the camera instead of the head unit so I did not have to install a voltage regulator to provide 5-7 volts to the camera. This worked great, but as expected, I lost the ability to turn the camera on anytime from the head unit. The truck must be in reverse for the camera to display, but when in reverse, the factory screen and the head unit screen both display the backup camera.

Sub/amp will be done next weekend; I'm still working on a plan for mounting the amp to my satisfaction. I learned/figured out a ton in the process of installing everything so far, and I would be happy to pass on anything I can to help anyone doing a similar install.
Thanks for the write-up sooner_crewmax!

Where did you place the microphone? Have you tried calling anybody yet? If so, was there any echo effect for you or the other person on the call?

I got to play with a DNX9960 after it was installed in another customer's truck at Car Toys, but it seemed REALLY sluggish to me. What I mean is, I wold touch something on the screen and then it was take a couple of seconds for the screen to respond. This made it pretty brutal to accomplish ANYTHING and we were PARKED! :eek: I can only imagine how difficult it would be if I was driving. Is this common in these type of HUs? Is yours slow to respond?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I clipped the microphone at the top of the a-pillar on the driver's side. This allowed me to aim it directly at the driver, which worked perfectly. No echo problems and in a test call, I was told I sounded loud and clear. I did not notice an echo effect at all.

As far as the sluggishness of the head unit, I definitely noticed what you are talking about, but I also noticed that once the head unit stops searching for satellite signal for the GPS, it gets much better. The head unit has a processor, much like a computer and it runs a little better once it is finished booting up. That being said, there is still some lag which is probably due to the slick user interface they are trying to provide on the head unit with the slidable icons, etc. I did not notice it being so slow that I could not navigate through the menus though. I will try to pay better attention the next time I use it and report back as to if this is a real problem or not. Was the head unit locked on a satellite or was it still searching when you were using it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I clipped the microphone at the top of the a-pillar on the driver's side. This allowed me to aim it directly at the driver, which worked perfectly. No echo problems and in a test call, I was told I sounded loud and clear. I did not notice an echo effect at all.

As far as the sluggishness of the head unit, I definitely noticed what you are talking about, but I also noticed that once the head unit stops searching for satellite signal for the GPS, it gets much better. The head unit has a processor, much like a computer and it runs a little better once it is finished booting up. That being said, there is still some lag which is probably due to the slick user interface they are trying to provide on the head unit with the slidable icons, etc. I did not notice it being so slow that I could not navigate through the menus though. I will try to pay better attention the next time I use it and report back as to if this is a real problem or not. Was the head unit locked on a satellite or was it still searching when you were using it?
It was locked on as we went into the nav section and it showed our location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the write up!! I just partially installed my DNX9960 this weekend and love it so far. I do have a couple of questions if you have the time or can direct me to the links you used. Do you have the play DVD all the time hooked up and if so where did you connect that wire to? (the parking SW) wire I believe. Also I would like to tap into the existing backup camera as well so if you could elaborate or PM me how you did it I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the write up!! I just partially installed my DNX9960 this weekend and love it so far. I do have a couple of questions if you have the time or can direct me to the links you used. Do you have the play DVD all the time hooked up and if so where did you connect that wire to? (the parking SW) wire I believe. Also I would like to tap into the existing backup camera as well so if you could elaborate or PM me how you did it I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.
I'd be happy to help. In order to make the DVD player work all the time, all you have to do is ground the parking SW wire. In other words just solder or crimp the parking wire to the black ground wire. You should already have the black ground wire from the head unit connected to the black ground wire the truck provides, so just add the parking wire by crimping all 3 of them into a crimp cap (easier) or soldering all 3 together (more difficult).

You can tap into the existing backup camera a few different ways. I chose the way that I felt would be easiest while maintaining the function of the factory backup camera screen because I did not want to remove it. If you do not keep the factory screen, you have to regulate the voltage provided by the head unit because the head unit outputs ~12v and the camera only wants 5-7v. I used this thread to help, but I'll summarize it for you as best I can since I didn't follow his process completely.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/au...on/1747-pioneer-avic-z2-nav-install-lots.html

Basically, you need to connect the purple reverse sensor wire from the head unit to the blue wire from the lowermost white plug under the passenger kick panel. The above thread shows pictures of this harness. Then, you need to connect to the red and gray wires in the driver's side a-pillar. These two wires are in rearward harness. The red wire needs to provide the center signal in an RCA cable which you will run to the head unit. The gray wire needs to provide the shield in the RCA cable. Just use any RCA cable and cut one end off. Then splice into the gray wire and crimp it to the outside (shield) wire and splice into the red wire and crimp it to the middle (center post) wire of your RCA cable. Then connect the other end of the RCA cable to the yellow Reverse camera RCA connector on the head unit and you are ready to go. Please note you will have to go to camera setup and turn the R-cam interruption setting on in order for the camera to be displayed when you are in reverse.

Please let me know if you have questions or if i can provide more detail about a specific point. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot to mention one point. If you use the factory screen to provide power to the backup camera like I did, you can only use the backup camera when in reverse. You will NOT be able to turn it on with the head unit like you can if you power the camera with the head unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks alot, I really appreciate it. That doesn't sound too bad hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. I thought that was the case with the parking SW wire but wasn't 100% sure. As far as the camera that really helps a lot. I knew you could tap those wires somehow but wasn't sure which ones.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I finally got everything installed. Turns out my head unit has a defective left subwoofer out channel. But the right works fine, so I'm just running it for now. Crutchfield is shipping me another head unit ASAP, so hopefully I will actually get completely finished soon. The JL 13TW5 in the stealthbox is very impressive. It is plenty loud and very precise, even with only one channel hooked up. Overall I'm very happy with everything, except the defective head unit, which will hopefully be fixed very soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts