Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a Kenwood DNX7140 I plan to install in my 07 DC, but have a few questions regarding the OEM backup camera and flip down monitor.

I have searched and found a few threads talking about this. There is one that says there needs to be a voltage regulator to step down the 12 volts to 5~7 volts for th camera.
What is currently stepping the voltage down?
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/802433-post102/

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181212-has-anyone-wired-oem-backup-cam/

Would this have to be done if I am only using the V+ and V- from the camera to input to the DNX7140. I have not actually seen it yet but am guessing the HU does not supply the power to the camera, if so then I could understand the voltage regulator.
I found this thread also and it does not state using a regulator for a DNX8120 and looks fairly simple to do.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/173951-using-dnx-8120-back-up-camera-2/

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do you have the stock Tundra camera?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Do you have the stock Tundra camera?
This would make the difference...
MOST after market cams can deal with 12v fine... Only if you're using the factory cam, would you really need a regulator....

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have my 8120 hooked up without a VR and it works. Only thing is I cant get it to come on automatically when the truck goes in reverse, I have to manually push and hold the nav. button, but I do get picture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I installed the factory camera and flip down monitor a while back. If it is currently running off of 5~7 volts (I have not checked with a meter yet) where is the voltage being regulated at now and why would that change by replacing the non-jbl factory radio with a HU and using just the video feed. I would think the camera power would not change.
Thanks for all the input, I am just trying to get a understanding.

Does the OEM flip down monitor regulate the power to the camera? If so, if I left that in place I would not have to install a regulator. Then just tap into the camera v+ and v- feeds to the 7140 as well as the reverse sensor.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
I did the write up on using the monitor on the 8120 to work along with the factory back up camera (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/173951-using-dnx-8120-back-up-camera/)

I assume this will work exactly the same with your 7140. If so, you DO NOT need anything else to power the camera. Just tap off the video signal from the two wires behind the 'A' pillar and the purple reverse sensor wire in the loom inside the dash.

Re-read my write up, as it took me a loooong time to figure out how to do it. I tried to explain as plainly as I could, so it would be easier for the next person.

Good luck, and if you need clarification, let me know!

Edit:

Mine works opposite to how Jumbo Jet's works. Mine came on as soon as I put the truck in Reverse. Make sure you have the settings set as aesconde says below.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my 8120 hooked up without a VR and it works. Only thing is I cant get it to come on automatically when the truck goes in reverse, I have to manually push and hold the nav. button, but I do get picture.

To fix this go into your A/V settings and change "RCAM Interrupt" to "Yes."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks "alottolearn", I have read your post several times and yours makes the most sense. I got side tracked when I read the others with a VR, they stated it worked at 12 V but the life of the camera may shorten. But after thinking about it, I could not figure out why the camera power would change by tapping into the video signals and the reverse sensor. This should not ahve anything to do with how the camera is powered.Maybe they do not have the flip-down monitor and that is what is regulating the 12 v to 5~7.
Thanks again and I will be using your method and will probably put a meter on the camera just to see what the voltage really is.

I did the write up on using the monitor on the 8120 to work along with the factory back up camera (http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/173951-using-dnx-8120-back-up-camera/)

I assume this will work exactly the same with your 7140. If so, you DO NOT need anything else to power the camera. Just tap off the video signal from the two wires behind the 'A' pillar and the purple reverse sensor wire in the loom inside the dash.

Re-read my write up, as it took me a loooong time to figure out how to do it. I tried to explain as plainly as I could, so it would be easier for the next person.

Good luck, and if you need clarification, let me know!

Edit:

Mine works opposite to how Jumbo Jet's works. Mine came on as soon as I put the truck in Reverse. Make sure you have the settings set as aesconde says below.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
Glad to be of service. It sounds like we had the same OEM flip down monitor (I now have different truck), but like I said, nothing else is necessary. Just splice wires, connect 'em up and that's it.

Points sent your way to welcome you to the forum. Stick around, there's a lot of information to be gleaned from TS!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, there is tons of information on this site. I have already completed adding the 2 wires to make my accessory meter display the MPG information. I am glad it is working but not sure I enjoy watching the low MPG's. I found a DIY to remove the gauge cluster to access the connection and had it done in around 30 mintues.

You had an excellent write up with the camera so that is what I will be using once it arrives and I start installing. Looks like it should be fairly simple using the connection in the Drivers side A pilar, thanks for finding this....

Glad to be of service. It sounds like we had the same OEM flip down monitor (I now have different truck), but like I said, nothing else is necessary. Just splice wires, connect 'em up and that's it.

Points sent your way to welcome you to the forum. Stick around, there's a lot of information to be gleaned from TS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts