·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 DC / NON-JBL System

Parts List:
Kenwood DNX5140 (navigation unit)
Kenwood KCA-BT300 (Bluetooth module)
Kenwood KCA-iP301V (iPhone cable – audio & video)
Boyo VTL-375 (license plate camera) NEW Boyo VTK-100
9-17: I upgraded to the iPhone 4 a couple weeks back and the KCA-BT300 works great
and despite what other online reviews say, the iP301V works and it DOES charge it

I really needed a backup camera and I finally had some free time to install everything. To go w/ the camera I needed an indash navigation unit that had an easy to use navigation, Bluetooth capability, iPhone controls but most importantly a rotary volume knob! :D

For me that pretty much narrowed it down to a Kenwood since Im already familiar with Gamins interface. There were several DNX navigation models that had Bluetooth built in it to the unit itself but for me it was cheaper to buy the DNX5140 and add the Kenwood Bluetooth module.

Overall Im very happy w/ how it turned out. The Kenwood is very easy to use, my speakers sound 100% better than with the stock radio. The Bluetooth works FANTASTIC, no connection issues whatsoever and it connects within 5 secs. or so. And I can finally listen to all my song on my iPhone though the Kenwoods Bluetooth module or the iPhone cable and my 4yr. old daughter can watch here videos too. :beavbutt: Installing everything was very easy. If youve ever hooked up an aftermarket stereo before this is no different. Heres my little DIY. :rolleyes:

-KENWOOD DNX5140 INSTALL-

**Make sure you buy a Metra or Scosche wiring harness adapter so you don’t have to cut the stock Tundra radio plugs**

Step 1: Wiring up the Metra / Scosche wiring harness

• Connect the wiring harness adapter wires to your HU harness wires. Theyre color coded and labeled so you really cant mess it up. You can wire it up in the Tundra or wire it up inside where its nice and cool. ;) You can use any type of crimp on connectors or you can solder the wires. Soldering is better but either way is fine.

Step 2: Remove the Tundra radio bezel

• Push the 2 a/c vents up towards the ceiling and remove the top screw from each vent.
  • Pull the 3 a/c control knobs off and remove each screw from behind the knobs.
  • Carefully pull the bezel off, you can unplug and set it aside of if youre like me in hot azz Houston youll leave it connected so you can run the a/c while you install everything.

Step 3: Remove the stock Tundra radio

• Theres 2 brackets on each side holding the radio in place. Remove the 2 10mm bolts on each of the side brackets and remove / unplug the radio.
  • Remove the 2 brackets from the stock Tundra radio. Youll need to install those on the new HU so you can mount it back in the stock location.

Step 4: Install the your new HU

• First mount the Navigation antenna. Theres a plastic flap in back of the radio where the antenna fits perfectly. Just trim the metal plate to fit the shape of the plastic flap, peel and stick. The antenna has a pretty strong magnet so no worries about it falling off.
  • Install the 2 Tundra radio brackets and the 2 side spacers on the HU. If you bought the Scosche spacers they mount right up. If you bought the Metra like me youll have to trim part of the sides off of the spacers so they can mount w/ the 2 radio brackets. ** I had to cut off some material from 1 of the Tundras radio bracket. It was blocking the cooling fan and I didnt want to risk it overheating **
  • Plug the HU harness into the HU and plug the Metra / Schosche wiring harness into the 2 stock Tundra radio plugs.
  • Turn on your Tundra and if wired correctly the HU should power up. DONE!
  • If not, time to trouble shoot. ;)

-KENWOOD KCA-BT300-

• Follow the instructions and plug everything in where it says. Its so easy a caveman can do it. I mounted the Bluetooth module in back of the a/c where the 3 knobs go. It fits perfectly.
  • Find a spot to mount the Bluetooth microphone. The manual says to mount it on top of the steering wheel column but I want to hide the mic. I choose to mount the mic on top of the overhead console (homelink, compass, map lights). I tested it out and its works just as well as on the steering wheel column. Nobody could even tell I was using a Bluetooth mic to talk.
  • Plug the mics jack into the KCA-BT300. Test it out, DONE!

-KENWOOD KCA-iP301V-

• Follow the instructions and plug everything in where it says. Very simple!
  • I routed the iPhone connector below the ashtray.
  • Re-install the radio bezel.
  • Interior installation is DONE!!
  • Cool thing about this is you can listen to ANY audio coming through your iPhone / iPod. I have ooTunes so I can listen to D.C. radio stations. It works great, so who needs satellite radio. And I tried my Emer. Radio police scanner app and it works too. Technology has come a LONG WAY!

-BOYO VTL375 INSTALL-

• Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the front drivers seat. There 2 bolts in front & 2 bolts in the back. Once you have all the bolts removed lift the seat up and push it towards the back seat floor tilting it up so you can pull back the carpet in step 4 below. Be careful when you move the seat, theres a wiring harness attached underneath it so if you want to remove the seat from the truck unplug that first but theres really no need to remove the seat.
  • Remove the 4 screws holding the door sill, then carefully pop that off.
  • Unscrew the black plastic retaining nut on the drivers side kick panel, then pull the kick panel off.
  • Pull back the carpet where the door sill was and youll see a rubber grommet on the floor board with a thick wire bundle going through it. Look under the truck and youll see the bundle coming through the floor. That’s where youll run the wires from the license plate to the inside of the cabin.
  • You can run the license plate wire through the bundle with the other wires or cut a little slit in the rubber grommet and pass the wire through. Since the license plate wiring was so small I just cut a small slit in the grommet.
  • Pull the license plate wire through but leave some slack so you can connect it to the back of the DDX5140 (yellow video composite plug / power & ground wire) . I ran the license plate wire with the wiring harness loom that was in step 4. The harness goes all the way to the rear of the truck so just follow it and zip tie the license plate wire to the loom.
  • Now that the wirings ran, you need to mount the license plate camera. Its easy, its just 4 small bolts. You need to drill out the bottom holes for the license plate camera to mount since out Tundras only have the top 2 holes drilled out. Once you drilled the holes bolt the license plate camera on. All that’s left is to plug the wire you just ran and plug it into the wire coming off of the license plate camera. Add shrink tube around the connector to keep the 2 connectors connected just in case and also to keep water out.
  • Take the slack in step 6 and route in back of the parking brake / brake / accelerator pedal then up to the back of the radio / monitor and plug the yellow composite into the DDX5140. I choose to tap the license plate camera power and ground wire into the switched radios power and ground so I can turn my camera on whenever I want to.
- The DDX5140 comes with a single wire that you connect to the reverse wire. When I put it in reverse the camera automatically comes on but I can also turn the camera on whenever I want, not just in reverse since I wired it up to the radio power. I used the reverse wire under the drivers side door sill (wire bundle in the rubber grommet) to tap the DDX reverse wire to, youll need to use a t-tap for that. Connect the tap to the reverse wire, crimp a spade connector onto the DDX5140 reverse wire and connect the spade to the tap.

Thanks for letting me share. :beach:

GPS Antenna

GPS Antenna

Metra side spacer kit

Cut bracket to clear the DNX5140s internal cooling fan

Changed the Kenwood splash screen, gotta rep Toyota ;)

Full mode

Zoom mode

EDIT:

Has these installed already but never posted pics. It doesnt rattle blocks away but it thumps nicely inside the cab.

2x-8" Kicker subs w/ JL Audio amp mounted behind the rear window panel

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Nice writeup and detail. All of it looks good:tu:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coming from the owner of 1 of the nicest 1st gens out there, I appreciate the kind words! :tea:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No longer for sale

:abduction:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Excellent Wright Up! Thanks!

I have been looking for a DVD / NAV unit also for my 04 Access Cab.

I know the NAV in the Kenwood uses Garmin which in my opinion is top notch.

I am sort of leaning towards the Pioneer avh-p4200dvd with the NAV though for the full 7" screen.

My only issue is H/Us currently on the market are not Blu-Ray compatible.

I have talked to many sellers and installers all with their own opinion as to when it will be available.

You made no mention of the EBrake Bypass, for me I can't think of anything better then to watch a movie at 80mph!

I know it's illegal but what the heck!!

<TUNDRA>

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Nice write up. I've had my 5120 a while now and still love it. As for the brake bypass, I just grounded the parking brake wire. Unless they've changed, it's probably easier to bypass than to install as intended.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent Wright Up! Thanks!

I have been looking for a DVD / NAV unit also for my 04 Access Cab.

I know the NAV in the Kenwood uses Garmin which in my opinion is top notch.

I am sort of leaning towards the Pioneer avh-p4200dvd with the NAV though for the full 7" screen.

My only issue is H/Us currently on the market are not Blu-Ray compatible.

I have talked to many sellers and installers all with their own opinion as to when it will be available.

You made no mention of the EBrake Bypass, for me I can't think of anything better then to watch a movie at 80mph!

I know it's illegal but what the heck!!

<TUNDRA>

Thanks!

I did alot of research before buying the Kenwood. I bought the 5140 because all the reviews were mostly positive and it had everything I needed, including the rotary volume knob. :D

Garmin works great, I have a portable nav. that uses Garmin too so I was already familiar w/ their functions and layout. I didnt want to go w/ the full screen DNX7140 etc. because I like having a rotary knob. When it has the full screen the control buttons are just too small for me but it is nice to have a full screen if you watch alot of movies in your ride.

About the bypass, I didnt want to put that just in case someone does it and GOD forbid crashes, but its easy to do. I bypassed the ebrake so my little girl can watch movies while Im driving and so I can enter an address into the navigation without having to pull over.

Having used it these past few weeks Im happy with it and my stock speakers along w/ my 2-Kicker 8" subs sound great w/ this HU.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice write up. I've had my 5120 a while now and still love it. As for the brake bypass, I just grounded the parking brake wire. Unless they've changed, it's probably easier to bypass than to install as intended.
You said it....not me. :becky:

On some of the newer Kenwood models that doesnt work, Im glad it does on ours because it doesnt get any easier than that. I feel bad for all the people that wasted their money buying the bypass harness from eBay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldnt judge things when backing into spots with the VTL-375 so I installed the Boyo VTK-100 this afternoon. I had some scrap aluminum and made a "U" to put into the hitch. Its held in by the force of the "U" pushing out but I also drilled out 2 holes so I can secure it in the hitch w/ my hitch lock.

Install was the same as the Boyo plate camera EXCEPT the VTK-100s harness was shorter and it wouldnt reach the hitch. I had to add 3ft. of wire to extend the Boyo VTK-100s harness, not a big deal. It works great and I can finally judge obstacles now so hopefully no more backing into concrete light posts. :)

Gotta love plasti-dip. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This retains the stock speakers correct? In the description online, it says the unit has 2 preamp outputs, did you use these for your subs or did you tap into the speaker wiring?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This retains the stock speakers correct? In the description online, it says the unit has 2 preamp outputs, did you use these for your subs or did you tap into the speaker wiring?

Yes, stock speakers.

I used a LOC before I had the Kenwood but since the Kenwood has preamps I used those since I can tweak the subwoofers settings through the Kenwood.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
rc? besides maybe a supercharger what mod/gadget dont u have on ur truck lol

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hey did you ever have any problems with the GPS ant mounted in the dash like that??

I always thought it should be exposed somewhere on the outside of the truck for these types.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope....never had any problem with signals. Works great and is super quick at calculating and or re-routing.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I might give that a try. I have the Kenwood Double din with the Garman GPS that I have been waiting to install but just haven't found the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great thread, and thanks for the info! was kinda bummed when i bought my tundra, and it didnt have a back-up camera. now it seems like a good enough reason to update my stereo!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rear camera is REALLY handy. Its saved other cars from my bumper more than once since installing it. :) One of the best mods Ive done to date!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts