Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along some information.

I have a Kenwood DPX-6020 in my 2002 Tundra. I wanted to hook up an Ipod to the radio. I started searching around. I checked the Kenwood sight and it says I cannot hook up an Ipod to a DPX-6020. I called Kenwood and ask them to verify this. Still no!

I found an Ipod adapter (Kenwood KCA-iP500) that says it will work with a Kenwood
DPX-6019, but not a 6020. I downloaded the user manual and compared all the specs for the DPX-6019 and 6020. The only difference is a couple of mounting screws are a different size.

The KCA-iP500 is on sale everywhere for about $50 so I thought I would take a chance. I purchased the adapter and installed it. I also bought a Scosche adapter that enables some Ipods to be charged while hooked to the radio.

I found that with my Ipod Nano, everything works fine except I need the Scosche adapter to charge the Ipod. With my old 5th Gen 30G Ipod I do not need the adapter to charge the Ipod.

The Ipods do not have to be turned on when they are connected to the radio. They come on when the radio is turned on, and go off when the radio is turned off.

I do not need to touch the Ipod for anything. Everything is controlled through the CD Changer controls on the DPX-6020.

The DPX-6020 has only one line of text so the information is limited but it works great for $50!

The moral is, don't believe the manuals or the vendor!

Ron

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2002 Sequoia using the same DPX 6020 and came across your post. Have you tried to connect the Sirius tuner to it? I have a KEG and plan to use the KCA-S220 to allow switching between the Ipod and the KEG. Thanks,
Rayland
[email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Additional word on the KCA iP500. Hooked up the KCA iP500 this weekend through the KCA-S220. Now have Kenwood Music Keg as Changer 1, KCA-iP500 as changer 2 and Satellite coming in Aux RCA's. All are now connected to the DPX 6020, Keg and I-Pod controlled by the DPX 6020 but using satellite controller in the Aux. All works as expected except that my son's new I-Pod 160G classic works flawlessly but my older 60G Classic will not control play list selection etc.. My I-Pod (2005) will either play the entire 7000+ song list straight through or I can randomize but unable to choose a specific playlist. I have updated all software without improvement. The 2010 I-Pod classic can select playlist, artist, genre as advertised. So the I-pod that is the same age as the design of the controller doesn't play well but the more modern one does- go figure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts