Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Ok, here is the problem. We have a 1995 4Runner. The car starts up just fine and runs great except one small problem. When you shut the car off to take out the keys, you CANNOT take the keys out. The only way the keys can be removed is by DISCONNECTING the BATTERY.

So I gotta park, open the hood, disconnect one terminal from the battery then take the keys out of the ignition, plug the terminal back into the battery and finally close the hood and lock up.

This has been going on for a month now and to the best of my recollection that was about the same time I removed the stereo headset.

My wife and I are very frustrated about this so we there might be somebody here that can help us with this problem.

I want to thank you all for having a forum like this in order to get answers to some questions that--as some of you know--can be very frustrating.

Hope to get help, thanks!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm thinkin maybe a faulty shift position switch. It is located in the center console shifter, if it's broken, then the truck would think it's still in drive, which would prevent the keys from being taken out.

or maybe it's the ignition switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinkin maybe a faulty shift position switch. It is located in the center console shifter, if it's broken, then the truck would think it's still in drive, which would prevent the keys from being taken out.

or maybe it's the ignition switch?

Hmmm... but why would this occur AFTER removing the stereo?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hmmm... but why would this occur AFTER removing the stereo?
You didn't provide all the information needed to help diagnose your problem. You should identify the engine specification (22re or 3vze) and transmission type (Automatic or Manual).

If Automatic it could be the Park-Neutral-Switch.

You may have disturbed circuit wiring in your stereo install, or it may just be a coincidence that the problem started about the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't provide all the information needed to help diagnose your problem. You should identify the engine specification (22re or 3vze) and transmission type (Automatic or Manual).

If Automatic it could be the Park-Neutral-Switch.

You may have disturbed circuit wiring in your stereo install, or it may just be a coincidence that the problem started about the same time.
It's an automatic but I don't know what type of engine it is. Tell me what to look for and I can get the information I suppose.

Also, I didn't do a stereo install but an UNINSTALL. Took that old standard pos out and am waiting to get something better. Which will happen after this current problem is fixed.

I'm not really a car man so I'm sorry if I don't know enough. But please do keep the answers coming. I have a good feeling that within 48 hours, we'll know the exact problem and can fix it.

Once again... key does NOT come out of the ignition when in park UNLESS you DISCONNECT the BATTERY.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you try moving around the shifter while you turn the key? It has to be the lock solenoid for the shifter causing it to not come out. When you disconnect the battery the solenoid releases and allows the key to come out. I am not too familiar with the old 4 runners ; does it have a floor shifter or one on the column? I have NO idea why it would do it with the radio disconnected but like somone else said that it may just be a wierd coincidence. Did you try just hooking the wiring harness back into the radio to see if the key comes out normally?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Is the key able to be turned to the lock position....or do you have to disconnect the battery to turn it to the lock position. Maybe I'm confused.:confused:

I'm agreeing with those who said it's something in the shift interlock circuit if you can't turn your key to the lock/removal position until the battery is disconnected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts