Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my truck off at the tire shop the other day for rotation and alignment. Left them the Key and took the clicker with me. They called me when they got to it and asked me how to get in the truck. I said "With the key I guess". Well turns out the only way I can get in my truck is my remote. The key turns in the door lock but doesn't lock or unlock the door. I took the door apart and it looks like a shaft coming out of back of the lock cylinder is turning but it isn't hooked up to anthing. I can move the shaft up and down with my fingers. Does anyone have a schematic of the door lock system or has anyone run into this problem?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dropped my truck off at the tire shop the other day for rotation and alignment. Left them the Key and took the clicker with me. They called me when they got to it and asked me how to get in the truck. I said "With the key I guess". Well turns out the only way I can get in my truck is my remote. The key turns in the door lock but doesn't lock or unlock the door. I took the door apart and it looks like a shaft coming out of back of the lock cylinder is turning but it isn't hooked up to anthing. I can move the shaft up and down with my fingers. Does anyone have a schematic of the door lock system or has anyone run into this problem?
I assume you're not the original owner (considering you are just discovering this problem on a 2007 vehicle). My guess is the previous owner damaged/modified the locking mechanism.

Or maybe something just fell off. :p

Since you've already opened the door panel, why not take it to a dealer and see if they can re-connect if for you (or tell you what's wrong). If it's a simple fix, it may not cost anything since you've done all the prep work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm not the original owner, I've had the truck about a month or so. I'm perfectly capable of fixing the lock myself, that's why I asked for a diagram or someone with experience. The only reason I set foot in a dealer is to buy oem parts or have warranty work done and with 51K miles this definately ain't that. Thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mendonsy,
That did actually help. I was able to see what the power lock assembly looked like without pulling it out of the door. I got it fixed. The lock cylinder has a rod with a swivel on it that had fallen out of the little cross looking fitting on the power lock assm. I actually didn't have to pull the panel to fix it come to find out. The easy fix would've been to pull the T30 torx on the edge of the door under the grommet and then using the key turn the lock cylinder to unlock and the cylinder comes right out. I then just had to realign the cross on the rod with the female cross on the power lock assembly. Maybe this will help anyone with this problem.
Happy trucking campers

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I had a similar problem pop up yesterday. When I pressed my FOB to lock the truck, it made the clicking noise, but no beep and the doors didnt lock. Same went for unlocking the truck. They made the noise, but doors stayed locked. Hasnt done it again since, but nice to know theres a PDF floating around. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fordless, thank you for posting the "easy fix". Once I came upon this thread, it took me 3 minutes to fix this problem on my '08. I have no idea how long it's been this way...I found out about it when my fob recently stopped working. Glad it wasn't when attempting to use my spare key under the truck after losing my keys while on a trip or something. I did remove my door panel this summer when I replaced the door lock motor (a big $ saver) so maybe that's when the rod came away from the lock assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fordless, I too owe you a great deal of thanks for posting this fix. As olias stated, I also spent the time replacing the door actuator motors on both front doors of my '09 ($13 cost on parts). I've been using my key fob ever since and had never attempted to manually unlock the door with the key until today. I panicked when the key turned and nothing happened. Thanks to a quick search, I was able to find this thread and followed your directions. Literally took 3 minutes to fix. I was so relieved to not have to remove the door panel again! I really hope others benefit from this as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts