Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,
I was doing a little searching for TRD LSD, and found this killer deal. I went down to Long Beach to kick it with Snoop Dogg:cool: and picked one up for $299 +tax!

Okay, okay, so I wasn't rollin down Long Beach Blvd with big homie Snoop:dry3d:, but the deal is there to be had. I couldn't keep this a secret from all of you so get yours!

clickity click here--> KAZUMA TRD LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the Kazuma LSD and it does help in snow. If you are in a crossed up situation (one wheel in the air the other on the ground) you will want the locker. That said, be warned an LSD or Locker in snow will have you sliding the back in around almost anytime you get on the gas unless in four wheel drive. Even in four wheel drive the back end does not want to stay in line with the front (when in the snow). Even in the rain the LSD can get the back end sideways. The LSD is slient as opposed to the popping you can get from a locker.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
My concern with LSD is that it will nto provide enough traction to other wheel as in the video, otherwise i'd get LSD for $300 vs Eaton or other locker for $500. I have to get up steep driveway everytime and in winter only 4x4 does it. I keep it in 2WD most of the time unless its icy on the road or lots of snow, because in 4x4 these things don't want to turn (binding) and i don't want to brake something. Besides going in/out of 4x4 all the time makes no sense so i figured Locker would be thew right choice

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very interested in this! I hate having an open rear-end but didn't realize I could fix the problem for this cheap. Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Very interested in this! I hate having an open rear-end but didn't realize I could fix the problem for this cheap. Anyone else have experience with this?

Unless you can install yourself or know somebody who can it doesnt turn out cheap by the time you add in the cost for a shop to do the install. And go w/ a reputable shop thats works on LSDs, you dont want them to screw up setting the backlash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unless you can install yourself or know somebody who can it doesnt turn out cheap by the time you add in the cost for a shop to do the install. And go w/ a reputable shop thats works on LSDs, you dont want them to screw up setting the backlash.
I've got a bunch of 4 wheeling friends and should be able to find someone no problem.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Uhhh.. what?
63 Posts
I didn't watch the video, but I've seen lockers in action before so I have an idea of what it was showing.

I'll throw in my $0.02; I've got a regular old stock "weak" LSD in my tundra. I have a sloped driveway as well and in icy/snowy conditions I still have to put in 4x to make it up cuz I just spin both rear tires instead of one. :rolleyes: That's the beauty of a truck, no weight in the rear, it'll spin em both almost as easy as one.

Works well just driving around otherwise, I was out adventuring around in 11-12 inches of fresh snow in 2wd a couple years ago.

And be careful turning with LSD/locker when it's slick or you might end up facing the wrong direction! :eek: (not that I speak from experience or anything...)

My concern with LSD is that it will nto provide enough traction to other wheel as in the video, otherwise i'd get LSD for $300 vs Eaton or other locker for $500. I have to get up steep driveway everytime and in winter only 4x4 does it. I keep it in 2WD most of the time unless its icy on the road or lots of snow, because in 4x4 these things don't want to turn (binding) and i don't want to brake something. Besides going in/out of 4x4 all the time makes no sense so i figured Locker would be thew right choice

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

I've been through it. You don't realize how much help an LSD or Locker is until you have one. I purchased mine when I bought the truck and paid 300 for installation. I used the same rear end shop that the local dealer uses if you buy one from them. Best 600.00 I've spent. (Of course I like all my mods)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'd rather spend a little bit more and get the Detroit TrueTrac LSD
x2, unlike the TRD LSD theres no clutches to burn out on the TrueTrac LSD.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
My truck will never see offroad use, I don't see an advantage in the locker over a LSD..
Agreed... but if your truck will never see any offroad use, why upgrade from your open diff? :confused:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have the stock LSD on my 06... and it works ok but man I was making a left turn on a 4 way and it was so icy on that turn that had to steer to the right all the way and drift it like if i was in an ae86... my treadless bfg R/T didn't help either :devil:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agreed... but if your truck will never see any offroad use, why upgrade from your open diff? :confused:
Because accelerating from a stop around a corner in anything but hot/dry conditions produces a lot of wheel spin. It's extremely frustrating trying to pull out into traffic and having the inside tire light up and the truck not go anywhere..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Because accelerating from a stop around a corner in anything but hot/dry conditions produces a lot of wheel spin. It's extremely frustrating trying to pull out into traffic and having the inside tire light up and the truck not go anywhere..

Itll be worse w/ a LSD having both wheels spin in the rain etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts