Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my buddy has a 2005 Tundra with the 1GR-FE V6 engine. It set a P0333 bank 2 knock sensor code that immediately comes back as soon as I clear it with my scan tool and start the engine. The service manual says you have to remove both cylinder heads to get the the knock sensors. I just can't believe this is true. I took off the upper intake manifold (Toyota calls this something like the air surge tank) and couldn't find the EF2 connector or even find where the harness branch leading to the EF2 connector could be. Much less visualize the knock sensors, which are under the lower intake manifold. I just buttoned it back up.

My questions are - if I remove both the upper intake manifold and the lower intake manifold and fuel rail, will I at least be able to disconnect the bank 2 knock sensor's electrical connector and check continuity between it and the ECM? If it turns out to be a faulty knock sensor, is it absolutely necessary to remove one or both cylinder heads to get to it, meaning I'd have to remove the alternator, radiator, timing chain, etc.? If so, that seems like a 6 or 8 flat-rate hour job, just for a knock sensor. Toyota techs must know a shortcut.

A squirrel built a nest in his air intake upstream of the air filter, and chewed off the TVIP buzzer on the driver's side of the engine bay. Almost like he surgically separated it, then just left it sitting on the fender well. Must have realized he had the wrong model year. Left about 50 acorns rattling around in the air intake and removed a piece of windshield washer fluid tubing. So I was hoping to find a chewed wire, but I found no evidence of wire harness damage anywhere else in the parts of the harness that were visible with the upper intake manifold off. I can't see how a squirrel could get under the lower intake manifold, so I'm thinking the knock sensor code is unrelated to the squirrel. Squirrely situation.

Yes this fellow does live out in the country and he drives like an 80 year old man. Animals could live in his air intake and only notice a slight breeze and their eardrums popping when he drive the truck.

Appreciate any help from you folks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know it's under the intake manifold, the question is whether removing the intake manifold is sufficient to access the EF2 connector and the knock sensor itself, or do I have to remove one or both cylinder heads like the service manual says?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is really old but wanted to provide my answer here for those who WILL run into the same problem themselves. For some reason, rats seem to be almost sexually attracted to this specific, extremely difficult to access set of wires. EVERYONE with P0333 has chewed wires and not a problem w/ the knock sensor. It's crazy.

YES - If you remove the fuel rail you 100% will be able to access the knock sensors and harness. My mechanic did this just today after I pointed him to some tacomaworld.com posts of people who did the same instead of doing the crazy 20+ hour listed head removal procedure. Said removing the pipes gave him access to everything he needed.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I know this is really old but wanted to provide my answer here for those who WILL run into the same problem themselves. For some reason, rats seem to be almost sexually attracted to this specific, extremely difficult to access set of wires. EVERYONE with P0333 has chewed wires and not a problem w/ the knock sensor. It's crazy.

YES - If you remove the fuel rail you 100% will be able to access the knock sensors and harness. My mechanic did this just today after I pointed him to some tacomaworld.com posts of people who did the same instead of doing the crazy 20+ hour listed head removal procedure. Said removing the pipes gave him access to everything he needed.
I just yesterday replaced my valve cover gaskets on my 2000 V-6 and guess what was below the intake plenum? A rat's nest along with two cigarette butts, guess he was a smoker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts