Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before....I searched and read alot about piston slap but dont think thats my problem.
2005 Tundra 115K 4.7 2wd.
Ocasionally after I start the truck, and ONLY when its put in gear does it knock. Mornings have been @ 80 degrees. Starts great, runs great, but like I said, putting in R or D it makes this steady knocking sound. The last time it did this it knocked for almost 2 miles, you could hear the knock rate going faster as the engine went through its RPM range..
Any ideas??? Knocking scares the heck out of me!!!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Need some help here guys, my knowledge limited.

You could try resetting the ecu.

What's the possibility of the timing belt jumping a few teeth?
Defective tensioner?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
What's the possibility of the timing belt jumping a few teeth?
Defective tensioner?
we got interference engine - it would be gone if it jumped even one rib on the belt. Maybe not gone from one rib, but wouldnt run at all or run like shyt. Its something else - do you have those steel cojones hanging on the hitch receiver and those are banging into the frame? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No nut sack on my Tundra....:)

You start the truck, foot on the brake, shift into R or D and its starts knocking, the truck hasnt moved a inch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You could start the truck, put it on a level surface, put it in gear, whatever gear it makes the most knock in, put E-brake on and get a long phillips screwdriver and put the tip on both of your valve covers, and the block( watch the fan! ), and put your ear right up to the handle. You should be able to hear in the top of your motor. Not real loud, but you can hear.

I just did this on my buddys powerstroke the other day. He had a sound that sounded like a knock of some sort. So I got a long screw driver and started putting it on everything I could get the tip to touch. Got a pretty bad noise, and the most noise, on the serp. tensioner braket. And go to find out thats what it was. The bearings had gone bad in the pulley.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Did you recenlty fuel up somewhere you usually don't go or maybe use a low
grade fuel? Another possibility is you have a bad fuel injector(s).

Try running some fuel injection/system cleaner through it and see what happens.

John

·
Registered
606 Posts
Since it happens only when you put it in gear, I think something might be getting worn out on your drive shaft (propeller shaft)...U-joint maybe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you recenlty fuel up somewhere you usually don't go or maybe use a low
grade fuel? Another possibility is you have a bad fuel injector(s).

Try running some fuel injection/system cleaner through it and see what happens.

John
I always get non ethanol fuel at the same station, its right by the house.
I had the fuel injector service done when I had the 100K mile service done, but I will add some injector cleaner today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since it happens only when you put it in gear, I think something might be getting worn out on your drive shaft (propeller shaft)...U-joint maybe?
The knock happens when the drive shaft isnt turning, so I wouldnt think it would be that.....but who knows.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said it knocked for almost two miles and increasing with RPM's. I didn't realize that the drive shaft wasn't turning while you drove two miles. I have no idea what's wrong then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My thoughts are its not the engine. Dropping to D/R and it starting. If the engine it would do it at idle in park IMO. By guess would be cold idle and something is else is knocking, exhaust, heat shield etc. Bad engine mount, trans mount?

·
Registered
202 Posts
block all wheels & put aon e-brake then shift into any gear that created knocking while is knocking, see if tranny shaking if it is retorque those bolts. long time ago some of our ts members had same problem as your. try that.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Sounds like a cracked header to me - especially since it is more pronounced under load.

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted before....I searched and read alot about piston slap but dont think thats my problem.
2005 Tundra 115K 4.7 2wd.
Ocasionally after I start the truck, and ONLY when its put in gear does it knock. Mornings have been @ 80 degrees. Starts great, runs great, but like I said, putting in R or D it makes this steady knocking sound. The last time it did this it knocked for almost 2 miles, you could hear the knock rate going faster as the engine went through its RPM range..
Any ideas??? Knocking scares the heck out of me!!!
Thanks in advance.
Sounds like its time for some headers.

And pull the ECU fuse in the engine bay (indicated on the top cover) to reset the internal long term/short term fuel trims, ignition timing, etc.

Or maybe the wrong spark plugs (gapping) are in the vehicle. Could be hundreds or things. Overall, these are the reasons I work on my vehicles. So I know whats going into/out of it. And...So you can inspect the previous older worn parts, each individual condition(s). Then inspecting the overall conditions/quality of the new parts you're putting back in. Takes all the guess work out when a problem arises so you can narrow it down instead of hunting down possible options that take forever when a check engine code isn't thrown. Yet there is an obvious problem.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts