Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know an alignment shop in the Austin area they've had good experience with and can recommend?

The dealer screwed up the alignment on my '03 4x4 Tundra when they did the ball joint recall last year. Drove in tracking straight as an arrow, drove out pulling to the right, and of course, they said they aligned it right and blamed it on the tires. Amazing how my tires suddenly cratered sitting in the dealer for a few hours, isn't it? :mad: Now my front right tire is worn bald on the outer edge and have no choice but to get new rubber, but need to get the alignment right before shelling out the big $$ for tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know a good one here in Austin, but I know a good one down in San Marcos called Nichols Tire. They came recommended from a good mechanic friend down there.

My '06 Double Cab truck was pulling off the lot, and the dealership couldn't get it to drive straight. I took it to them one Saturday morning to set it to "DJ's Specs". I handed them the copy of the post from this board, asked them to match it, and they set it exact, and gave me the printout from the Hunter machine as proof. On the drive back to Austin, the tracking difference was night and day.

I believe the price was $55 or $60. If you want, their number is 512-396-6066. You can drop it off, and then walk across the street to Gil's Broiler and get a burger and a Manske Roll. :)

Edit: Which dealership was this if you don't mind me asking? I would like to make sure I avoid them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey CM-
Thanks for the info. I'm up near Round Rock, but will pretty much drive where ever it takes to get it done right and will be taking DJ's specs with me. Besides, I haven't had a Manske roll since I was getting schooled at SWT in the '70's!

My dealer, or should I say my former dealer, was Charles Maund on Research. It's been a really great truck, but the dealer experience has been lame since the day I took delivery late on a Friday and the make ready crew was in such a hurry to go get their 12-packs that they barely even cleaned the truck AND scratched the ever living hell out of my new windshield and passenger side glass with razor blades getting the sticker and window paint off. I battle with the service advisor over it and he acts like he doesn't see the scratches. Right. You'd have to be blind. Had to raise hell w/my salesman and the service manager and they finally agreed to replace the glass. What a freaking hassle and great way to treat a new customer. My engine light went on at about 18K miles (i.e., in warranty), and they won't diagnose it unless I sign a document saying I'll pay them $90 if they don't find anything. Say what? Luckily, as I'm steaming in the waiting room, the power suddenly went out at the dealership and all over north Austin after they'd reset the engine light but hadn't put it on the diagnostic machine, so I told them to forget it. Even though it was still in warranty I took it to my mechanic, he diagnosed it for free, and it was just a nick in the gas cap gasket!! Replaced the gas cap and it's been fine since. So, after the ball joint deal, we're done. Finished. Never ceases to amaze me how dealer's service departments treat people and lose customers.

While we're at it - I won't set foot at Classic Toyota, either. They're even worse. Bought my last Toyota (95 V6 4x4 ext cab) there, and suffice it to say that the multiple nightmare service stories from that experience are too long to address on this forum, but there service guys are downright liars.

Sorry, but I needed to vent. Thanks again for the info!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Jerry Stevens Firestone; Waco, TX. Tech's name is Stephen. I drive 350 miles to them for alignments...couldn't find a shop in Lubbock who could (or would) align to DJ's specs. Steve hit them exactly! I've been using 'Stephen at Stevens' for several years now. I am very hard to please, and every alignment he's done for me has been excellent.:tu:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts