Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stop over at my buddies house Saturday afternoon for a cool one and to shoot the breeze. He is a loyal GM guy, if it does not have a bow-tie on the grille, he will typically not own it. He is also a professional paint and body dude so I always valued his opinion on cars and trucks.

Anyway, he is checking out the Tundra. I am telling him about the tow capacity and the HP and torque from the 5.7.

His first comment, "Man, I wish the General could build them like this.......".

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm a Chevy man at heart but I just couldn't look past the advantages of the Tundra; my buddies are still in denial but facts are facts. My wife's '06 4Runner has been trouble free since we've owned it so I felt pretty confident with Toyota. I suppose I'm not a true traitor since I still own my trusty '88 K5 Blazer! :)

-Wes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, look at my garage and signature, I too have a certain affection for the General.

However, I started out with Silverados in the 70's, switched to Rams in the 90's and finally in 2003 got my first Toyota truck (used Tacoma). I really loved the '06 TACO I had but the poor gal just could not handle the car and trailer, when I switched from an open to enclosed trailer. The Tundra is just in a league of its own when comparing against the big three.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my parents like GM and i typically dont mind GM as well....my dads family even owned a chevy dealership and his dad worked at another one....so they were pure GM through and through.... but the past several years have had me disliking GM and especially now that its Goverment Motors....nope.

my silverado i only had for 8 months but it had two dash rattles and teh seat squeaked and popped all the time. my parents have an 06 silverado also they bought a few weeks prior to me getting mine and their seat pops non stop, been fixed 3 times, had exhaust rattle, their 06 HHR had massive water leak, sunroof rattles, and several other things...not to mention overall cheap feel....i had a 96 F body and it was a huge rattle trap...and got rid of it at 36k miles...plastic and cheap and the seats, again, popped and rattled....even my vette's seats were flimsy and flopped back and forth....thats pretty much what got me away from them...no mechanical issues stranding me etc just quality and overall feel.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
With the exception of real "die hards", I'd say that most GM owners (myself included) recognize the positive attributes that the new Tundra brings. The design isn't for everybody, and many that are "brand neutral" choose a GM truck rather than the Tundra. I certainly didn't do it because I felt the 5.3/4-spd was "better" than the 5.7/6-spd (it's not). I went with GM for other reasons.

That said, experiences with older GM trucks (06 and earlier) shouldn't be applied to the new trucks. I've been very impressed with the build quality on my 08 Sierra. Our 05 Sienna has been plagued with door problems since we bought it, so at this point, the Sierra has the better quality (by a fair margin). What really irritates me is that Toyota knows they had a flawed door design, yet they refuse to acknowledge it. $1500 to repair a power door because their cable system comes apart? It irritates me just to write those words.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Power door problem? A cable came loose....and this was on a 2nd gen Tundra? Man I've heard of a lot of complaints on tailgate, interior, paint, and a few others things, but a tundra door problem? Are you sure you are not getting another truck confussed with a Tundra....I mean now days Ford does look a lot like a Tundra at a glance.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Power door problem? A cable came loose....and this was on a 2nd gen Tundra? Man I've heard of a lot of complaints on tailgate, interior, paint, and a few others things, but a tundra door problem? Are you sure you are not getting another truck confussed with a Tundra....I mean now days Ford does look a lot like a Tundra at a glance.
hey goofball...:) read his post...hes talking about a SIENNA, aka a soccer mom minvan not a cool tundra......

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been a GM guy since I was 16. Last year I bought the Tundra because its bad azz and I wanted to try something different. 52K miles later in 11 months and not one rattle or defect. I still love driving the thing everyday and am totally sold on this truck. I ussually trade every 2 years but might keep this one longer. Even with newer Dodge and Ford out I would still buy the Tundra again next year.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Next time I'm in the market for a used minivan I'll be sure to stay clear of the '05 Siennas.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm a GM fan too but not as much as Toyotas- especially the Gen2 Tundra w/5.7L engine just kicks ***!!almost makes me feel like the old days driving my Supra..:sad: My dads been a Chevy fan since '85 until last year or 2 he test drove my DC and picked himself a new CM beginning this year..hehehe:D...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
hey goofball...:) read his post...hes talking about a SIENNA, aka a soccer mom minvan not a cool tundra......
Caught that but was politely trying to point out the point THIS IS A TUNDRA site NOT a SIENNA site, but maybe I need to get in the gutter and get into the name calling business and just say what the h*** does that have to do with a Tundra!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
please no minivans allowed on Tundra site!:D Sequoia yes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was also a loyal GM truck fan. Had a 2003 Duramax Crewcab 4X4. Loved the truck but only towed occasionally and it was too big for the garage. Waited for the new body style Chevy/GMC hoping they would have a 6 speed and rear disc brakes in the reg cab 6.5 ft bed. One look and shaw they still had 1990 technology in a new skin and that was it. The Tundra came out and it had everything I wanted. Love the Tundra RCSB 4X4. Nice tow vehicle and runs like a raped ape. Like all new vehicles has a couple things I'm not fond of but mostly it's great.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was also a loyal GM truck fan. Had a 2003 Duramax Crewcab 4X4. Loved the truck but only towed occasionally and it was too big for the garage. Waited for the new body style Chevy/GMC hoping they would have a 6 speed and rear disc brakes in the reg cab 6.5 ft bed. One look and shaw they still had 1990 technology in a new skin and that was it. The Tundra came out and it had everything I wanted. Love the Tundra RCSB 4X4. Nice tow vehicle and runs like a raped ape. Like all new vehicles has a couple things I'm not fond of but mostly it's great.
GM finally has the 6-speed auto with the 5.3 for the '09 model year but it really irritates me to see that rear disc brakes only come with an optional package! I believe that rear discs were standard on the last generation Silverado ('99-'06) so I'm not sure what gives there. Some have made the comment that the drums are more durable in certain situations and they offer better static load holding capability. Thats another thing that really irks me about the Tacoma. It shares the same platform as the 4Runner yet it seems to have small front discs with drum brakes in the rear. The wife's '06 4Runner Sport brakes look beefy with discs all around and the Tacoma's brakes look wussy in comparison. I was really close to buying a new Tacoma before I decided on the Tundra and that was one of my turn-offs.

Edit: Just did some digging around and it appears that the '09 Tacoma is equipped with 10.83" front rotors and 10" rear drums while the '06 4Runner has 13.3" front rotors and 12.3" solid rear rotors. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me! Although.....both of them are wussy in comparison to our Tundra's 13.9" front and 13.6" vented rears!!

-Wes

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm a GM fan too but not as much as Toyotas- especially the Gen2 Tundra w/5.7L engine just kicks ***!!almost makes me feel like the old days driving my Supra..:sad: My dads been a Chevy fan since '85 until last year or 2 he test drove my DC and picked himself a new CM beginning this year..hehehe:D...
Emphasis mine. It's really sad that the most exciting vehicle sold under the Toyota marque is a full sized truck. They went from having the awesome MR2, Supra and girl-car Celica, to having... nothing. If you want a performance car from Toyota, you've got to go Lexus.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The rear drum vs disc topic has been kicked around quite a bit on the GM truck forums. I've had both on GM trucks, and can't tell any difference when braking. The main benefit I've noticed with the rear drums is that the emergency brake holds a stout load on an incline, whereas the discs (that I had at least) tended to slip when hooked to a heavy load. These aren't the same drum brakes of yesteryear... they perform very well. I'm guessing that the Tundra rear disc emergency brake doesn't slip, and neither do the discs on the GM "NHT max tow" pkg trucks from what I've read... but I don't really know. I think everyone agrees that discs are better for performance stopping, but also have their drawbacks (e.g., warp under stress). I personally wouldn't consider the type of rear brake when looking at trucks... just their performance.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
The Tundra doesn't use the disc brake for the e-brake, it has its own little drum brake inside the rotor setup, if yours is slipping it just needs adjustment.

:fish2:

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Tundra doesn't use the disc brake for the e-brake, it has its own little drum brake inside the rotor setup, if yours is slipping it just needs adjustment.
That's the same then. The (GM) rear discs that I had operated the same way (mini-drums), but they didn't have the grip that the (new) full-sized drums have when engaged. I'm curious about how the Tundra holds when hooked to your trailer on a hill. I'm guessing it holds well... but wouldn't mind hearing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts