1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
LED lighting is legitimate and does represent the future of lighting, but in terms of forward lighting (headlights) the technology has not yet become mainstream, and as such you will pay a substantial premium. I would wait a few years until they come down in price....and they will. 1440 lumens is nothing special for the money they are asking. This is only about the same as a run-of-the-mill single bulb incandescent light, which would cost you a tenth as much.

·
Registered
916 Posts
By no means am I an expert, buy I have some hands on knowledge of LED lights. First of all, 8 LED modules at 3 watts will draw more than 2 amps and will create a LOT of heat. Secondly, a main drawback to LED's is dispersion of light. There are essentially 2 types of optics currently for LED's. The first kind is a TIR (total internal reflector) optic which creates a very bright narrow beam. the second is a linear optic, which spreads light across a wide spectrum, but not very far in the distance. I am 99% certain that the picture they show that claims to be headlights and the LED lights is fake. I would tell you to save your $550, or invest in a HID conversion kit if you need to spend the money upgrading your lights.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
By no means am I an expert, buy I have some hands on knowledge of LED lights. First of all, 8 LED modules at 3 watts will draw more than 2 amps and will create a LOT of heat. Secondly, a main drawback to LED's is dispersion of light. There are essentially 2 types of optics currently for LED's. The first kind is a TIR (total internal reflector) optic which creates a very bright narrow beam. the second is a linear optic, which spreads light across a wide spectrum, but not very far in the distance. I am 99% certain that the picture they show that claims to be headlights and the LED lights is fake. I would tell you to save your $550, or invest in a HID conversion kit if you need to spend the money upgrading your lights.
I thought one of the pluses of LEDs is no/minimal heat - you think it would produce more heat than a couple 55w bulbs?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
No/minimal heat would be the little guys that tell you your DVD player is turned on. The higher powered ones generate heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone used, seen or heard of Magna Lights (LED Light Emitter - 24 watts - 8 LEDs - 325' L x 80' W Beam - 9-32VDC - Extreme Environment - www.MagnaLight.com Spotlights and Flashlights). The pics on their website look bogus and are overselling their product, but if the specs are accurate I was thinking they would be nice to mount behind the grill for extra light and one under the rear bumper for a lot of extra light:devil:.

Thanks
I have several pairs of these types of lights. I mounted the 12 LED pair under my bumper and i have the round black 6x10 watt pair mounted in my truck. Great lights. little costly but great lights

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
No, probably not. It depends on the heat sink design, but overall it should be less than the incandescent bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
WOW !!! Im impressed!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts