Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another site

Toyota is just revealing a new diesel V8 with compacted graphite iron ( CGI ) that will serve in the new LandCruiser 70-series now from April in Australia. It´s replacing all former engines and delivering modest 150 kW and 430 Nm of torque with SINGLE turbo. The engine can run 21,3 miles/gallon and the cars weight is 7275 pounds.

The same CGI-block ( first in series from Toyota) will also be seen in the LandCruiser 200-Series in November. Then the engine will feature a DOUBLE turbo and some twisting 200 kW ( 268 hp) and 650 Nm ( 480 lb.f/ft)

The Toyota Tundra is also a hot candidate for the diesel. Wait and see.
This is the diesel the person is referring to

70seriesfulldetails

·
Registered
330 Posts
I doubt it. I could type for days as to why I think this but I just don't think it will happen, at least not anytime soon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still fail to understand why not one single manufacturer has a half-ton with a diesel engine?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have heard rumors that Caterpillar will be making the diesel engines for Toyota. We will see.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have heard rumors that Caterpillar will be making the diesel engines for Toyota. We will see.
You better hope not. Cat is having some trouble with emissions and their ACERT or whatever it is. Cat has a good image, but if I had the pick of the litter in diesel engines, Cat wouldn't be the one I'd want in my truck.

I think that rumor gets floated a lot. GM was suppose to have gotten a Cat as well.

All I can say with respect as to why there are no half ton diesels....The DANM EPA!:mad: Once people started to catch on to the benefits of diesels, the EPA choked them up with emission controls to reduce MPG and they mandated the fuel blends and made it more expensive produce and thus buy.

There's not real benefit to owning a diesel these days outside of a large work truck and that's the way the EPA and our govt want it. Rid ourselves of anything that is cheap to operate and gets good mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Yeah, everyone has heard rumors about Cat, Hino, Izusu, John Deere, etc making a diesel for the new tundra. I have my theory that "toyota" is still generally thought of amongst the truck buyers that would need a diesel as a japanese truck. So I think that toyota will use either a cat or deere as their new diesel to appeal to the "red-blooded" american market. The ones that buy Dodges/chevys/fords b/c they dont want a japanese truck.

I would be willing to place a bet that Cat or Deere (or some other american diesel) will be in the new tundra.

Ford is developing their own 4.4L twin-turbo diesel to put into the F-150 (after breaking up with navistar the origional maker of the powerstroke).

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
, Cat wouldn't be the one I'd want in my truck.

You would be one of the few. I think most people would be more excited to crank up a Caterpillar (or deere) in their truck as opposed to a cummins or Detroit.

Cat is the largest manufacturer of diesels in the world, I think they can figure this out.;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Toyota should engineer with diesel with Izuzu and Hino and then simply market it as a CAT (under agreement with CAT). That would be the best of both worlds - engineering + marketing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You would be one of the few. I think most people would be more excited to crank up a Caterpillar (or deere) in their truck as opposed to a cummins or Detroit.

Cat is the largest manufacturer of diesels in the world, I think they can figure this out.;)

They have yet to do it whereas Cummins has been doing it for nearly 2 decades. Do some research on their new engines and some of the problems they are having. Like I said, Cat has a good image to those who don't know much.

Could they build one that would work? Sure. Is that their area of expertise? Not by a long shot.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ford is developing their own 4.4L twin-turbo diesel to put into the F-150 (after breaking up with navistar the origional maker of the powerstroke).

Where did you get this info from?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you get this info from?
"After recent disagreements with engine supplier Navistar, as well as dealing with Super Dutys that perform roman candle impressions, Ford is accelerating development of a new diesel engine for its burliest of pickups. Ford and Navistar played chicken earlier this year over warranty costs for the older 6-liter Powerstroke V8. That engine had a high number of issues that led to Ford covering repair costs. Ford in turn sued Navistar, the engine supplier, and held back payments for the new 6.4-liter Powerstroke in an effort to recoup some of their expense. Navistar decided they'd have none of it, and shut down engine production, slowing Super Duty production until a court order got the engines flowing again.

This acrimony has spurred Ford to come up with an alternative to Navistar engines in one of its most pivotal vehicles. The diesel and its muscle-bound tow rating attract plenty of buyers, and the Super Duty is at the top of the Ford Truck food chain, so problems here look bad. If your work truck doesn't work, you're in trouble. Ford can't afford to lose the profits from the Super Duty, nor can it accept tarnishing the image of the iconic F-Series trucks, so the Dearborn team is on it in the interest of exorcising Navistar powerplants from the engine bay and keeping that customer cash flowing. "

Ford developing new diesel engine, quickly - Autoblog

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'll believe when I see it, I don't think there is near as much excitement for 1/2 ton diesels anymore. They all missed the boat by a few years. The upfront cost of a diesel engine, the outrageous price of diesel now a days, more stringent emissions coming, higher maintenance costs just to name a few things going against diesel now.

Unless you tow constantly I don't see an advantage anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Toyota owns a minority stake in Isuzu, and recently signed a diesel engineering agreement with them.

In order for the Tundra to compete in the 3/4t+ market, they need to tap into the lucrative diesel option, and they know this. 7000lb trucks running gasoline are best described as behemoths, without the diesel they are super thirty commercial only trucks.

Or at least I heard...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll believe when I see it, I don't think there is near as much excitement for 1/2 ton diesels anymore. They all missed the boat by a few years. The upfront cost of a diesel engine, the outrageous price of diesel now a days, more stringent emissions coming, higher maintenance costs just to name a few things going against diesel now.

Unless you tow constantly I don't see an advantage anymore.
The biggest reason for diesels now is power. Unlike diesels of yesterday, the new Common Rail designs have huge amounts of power on tap. Common Rail means that the injection is controlled 100% digitally. Fuel pressure is up to 26,000PSI now for excellent atomization, and they can shoot in several shots of fuel each combustion cycle.

Now for lunatic fringe, you can turn these Common Rail engines up to insane levels very easy. When Toyota offers a Common Rail pickup, I'm certainly going to be playing with them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My vote would be for an Isuzu first, above all others. This would be followed by Cummins in second spot, Hino in third and CAT fourth. All being of the classic 6-cylinder design (phooey on V-8 diesels).

Isuzu has the reputation of being one of the best diesel engine techology companies in the world. We have a 1986 Isuzu NPR-type cabover diesel truck we use for a service rig and it is down-right indestructible (over 300,000 miles with oil changes and belts with very hard duty). It is simply a fantastic feat of diesel engineering. GM used to own something to the effect of 40% of Isuzu (hence the Duramax engine development). Unfortunately for GM they sold all their Isuzu interest back in 2005 when they were trying to make investors happy (around the same time they were giving away new vehicles at employee pricing). Toyota has meanwhile moved in on Isuzu.

I dearly love the venerable Cummins 6-cylinder engine. Unfortunately the only way to get one is to have it shipped to you in a flimsy $38,000 "metal shipping crate".;)

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
They have yet to do it whereas Cummins has been doing it for nearly 2 decades. Do some research on their new engines and some of the problems they are having. Like I said, Cat has a good image to those who don't know much.

Could they build one that would work? Sure. Is that their area of expertise? Not by a long shot.

Well thanks for calling me stupid.:confused: I have been an avid fan and my family has been owner to several diesels, to which we have had 2 cats, a cummins, a deere, and the rest being International Harvesters. I think I know just a little about the motors. Cat has a great image, so does cummins, so does detroit. I think their area of expertise would be diesels, seeing that they are *still* the largest maker of diesels in the world. Bar-none.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If they're going to be putting a diesel into the Tundra, my money would be on something from Isuzu. They've been in the diesel/truck buisness for a looooooooooooooooong time. When all the "other" diesels were going clickity clack, the Isuzu were quite a bit quieter. Wasn't until GM decided to put the Isuzu Duramax into their trucks did the rest of them start quieting theirs down too. And seeing as how Toyota bought part of Isuzu and is talking with them, I'm betting anything in the form of diesel will be from Isuzu. :tu:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I still fail to understand why not one single manufacturer has a half-ton with a diesel engine?
The whole drivetrain has to be much heavier, hence it is almost a given that it becomes a 3/4 ton. My sister just bought a motorhome with the 455 GM gas engine. It was $18,000. more for a diesel and the frame, rear end, and springs were all upgraded compared to the gas model.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I think it was mentioned here before by another poster that Toyota is using the Cat's signature yellow in their spots for the Tundra. Not sure if that is just purely coincidence or if they are indeed showing that they will use them for a future diesel 3/4 and 1 ton truck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts