Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search the thread.....didn't really feel I found the answer. So here we go with a new thread.

I've put Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my 2010 DC that are 285/60/R20. It came with 275/55/R20 on the truck OEM. My overall tire diameter is now 1.6" larger and the install place said they wouldn't normally put these on as it may void my Toyota warranty. Does anyone know if this is actual? I still have the stock ones from the dealer and could put them back on before servicing, but would REALLY prefer not to have to do that each time..... Of course, I don't really think I should walk into the dealer and ask either. Heck even calling and they'll know it's me! (small town, Canada)

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
The only way it would hurt is if they could prove that the larger tires caused a problem. No worries man, it doesn't void anything.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
1000% depends on the dealer.

While it's true a dealer would have to prove the "mod" caused the failure, unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

For instance, let's say a wheel bearing fails and the dealer says it's because of a slightly different offset or the weight of the larger tire combo.......it's up to YOU to prove that wasn't the cause.

Never forget on how on an Xbrand truck I needed u joints during the warranty period.

First they said due to the lift, the pinion angle caused the failure.

When I explained the front spindles were changed and the rear was still stock, they blamed on a small mark on the driveshaft.

All this over a $15 part that a tech probably was going to get screwed on regarding flagged hours......hence, no one wanted to do it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So really it's a crap shoot and I need to be able to defend that tires are not the culprit. (if anything ever goes wrong with this awesome truck!)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
So really it's a crap shoot and I need to be able to defend that tires are not the culprit. (if anything ever goes wrong with this awesome truck!)

Correct.

OBVIOUS stuff, like an AC failure; power windows; electronics etc......it would be impossible to blame on a tire swap.

But I have seen lazy dealers looking for any excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Shameless plug for Findley Toyota and Vic......they/he are NOT one of those dealers (I know that doesn't help you much...LOL!!!)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wonder if you were close to your warranty being up mileage wise, if they might try to say you were over your mileage allowance because your tires were causing the speedometer to read a lower amount due to the larger circumference.

Some dealers sell new Tundras with lifts/tires...of course they would cover that under warranty since they bought and installed the parts....but like everyone else is saying, it depends what they feel like justifying and how much they value you as a return customer.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the dealer install my ProComp lift/leveling kit just to make sure there were no fall-backs on account of that. I'd like to think my dealer is reasonable, but it all comes down to $$ and it's not like the dealers are making as much these days. I'm going to hope for the best, and leave them on when it goes it for servicing. I don't have an extra set of rims, so it's not exactly simple to swap back and forth. IF I wind up with unrelated 4WD issues someday, I'll likely mount the old tires before I go in.......eliminate the chance. Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Read the Magnuson-Moss Act:

http://autos.aol.com/article/warranty-and-aftermarket-parts/

This means that, under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

I think that was already stated (without the source you provided)

But the fact remains:

Dealer says no.

You quote the MM act.

Dealer laughs.

Now what????

Some of us do not have the means or the time to FORCE a dealer to fix something........additionally, do you really want a dealer to work on it after they were forced to???

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think that was already stated (without the source you provided)

But the fact remains:

Dealer says no.

You quote the MM act.

Dealer laughs.

Now what????

Some of us do not have the means or the time to FORCE a dealer to fix something........additionally, do you really want a dealer to work on it after they were forced to???
The dealer has to prove it caused damage, the consumer does not have to prove it didn't. I know what happens in the real world, but there are remedies. As indicated in the article you can file a complaint with the FTC, or Toyota corporate. My best advice is to establish a good relationship with the dealer. I've got a lift, over-sized tires and more. The dealer works on my truck occasionally, and has never once complained.In fact, just the opposite, they tell me how much they like what I've done to my truck. They also balanced my oversize tires and custom wheels for me.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The dealer has to prove it caused damage, the consumer does not have to prove it didn't. I know what happens in the real world, but there are remedies. As indicated in the article you can file a complaint with the FTC, or Toyota corporate. My best advice is to establish a good relationship with the dealer. I've got a lift, over-sized tires and more. The dealer works on my truck occasionally, and has never once complained.In fact, just the opposite, they tell me how much they like what I've done to my truck. They also balanced my oversize tires and custom wheels for me.

We're saying the same thing.......

But the fact remains: if you get a jerkwad dealership, how long do those remedies take to PROVE that they have to fix your vehicle??

And how do you prove that oversized wheels/tires didn't cause that driveline failure??

And again, do you really want them working on the vehicle after they were overruled??

The sad part is dealers make less money on a warranty repair than on a customer pay......which is the reason SOME (not all) dealers fight to not do warranty work.

Congrats on your relationship with your dealer....I feel lucky in that I have a great dealership also.

But I stand by my very 1st statement made in this thread in the 4th post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts