Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Chevy Silverado was rated above the Tundra. The trucks were close, what gave the Silverado the edge was it was a much better value due to it being less expensive. The Tundra won straight line speed easily, Chevy handled and drove better, they even said fit / finish went to chevy. Braking was a tie. The Chevy was an 5.3 access cab ltz, the Tundra was a 5.7 dc ltd. The Tundra certainly wins when you look at the specs and do the paper battle, but the Chevy seems to be racking up a lot of wins. When the Chevy gets the 6 speed tranny next year the performance of the 2 trucks should be very close. I will definately have to check out the Chevy before i buy anything.

·
Banned
888 Posts
LMAO !!!
Stickers add HP TOO !!
Just give that bowtie about 5-8K of road miles and see how well the fit and finish stats total up :td:
I just dumped a 5 month old Silverado to get in the new Tundra.
If I wined and dined a Mag Editor he would speak well of my product also.
:rolleyes:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
LMAO !!!
I agree as I explained in a previous thread. This, combined with paid advertising in the Mag, truely is all it takes!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LMAO !!!
Stickers add HP TOO !!
Just give that bowtie about 5-8K of road miles and see how well the fit and finish stats total up :td:
you bring up a great point. I wish someone would get 3 3-4 year old trucks from each mfgr and re-test them. My 2000 Tundra is still tight after 7 years and 90k miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree as I explained in a previous thread. This, combined with paid advertising in the Mag, truely is all it takes!!!
from what i have seen, The Tundra had more advertising in that issue than did Chevrolet did for the silverado. Also, every time i turn on the TV i see a Tundra commercial. Not sure i buy into the theory that all the magazines have an agenda to somehow not let the Tundra win all these comparisons. At this point it would involve how many magazines? Could it be that Chevrolet has really come out with a good product, that will be much better next year if they in fact add the 6 speed auto? The Tundra did win acceleration and gas mileage, so its not like its some lopsided victory. The way i read it, the comparison was close, with the Chevy coming out on top because of the equal level of fit / finish, and the much more competitive price.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The Chevy was an 5.3 access cab ltz, the Tundra was a 5.7 dc ltd.
The way i read it, the comparison was close, with the Chevy coming out on top because of the equal level of fit / finish, and the much more competitive price.
So supposedly the major factor was the price.Now what would the price difference have been if they tested the Chevy with the extra cost 6 litre engine,and disc brakes?Did the Chevy even have the optional extra cost active handling?Did it have the navigation system and 20" wheels?When I priced out the GMC truck with all the options required to make it as comparable as possible to my 5.7 double cab limited,the extended cab GMC was more expensive.This was done on both companies Canadian websites as I live in Canada.

The Tundra did win acceleration and gas mileage,
Are you saying that the tundra with the 5.7 got better fuel mileage than the 5.3 Chevy?That would certainly cast doubt about GMs so called "fuel management system" actually providing better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So supposedly the major factor was the price.Now what would the price difference have been if they tested the Chevy with the extra cost 6 litre engine,and disc brakes?Did the Chevy even have the optional extra cost active handling?Did it have the navigation system and 20" wheels?When I priced out the GMC truck with all the options required to make it as comparable as possible to my 5.7 double cab limited,the extended cab GMC was more expensive.This was done on both companies Canadian websites as I live in Canada.

Are you saying that the tundra with the 5.7 got better fuel mileage than the 5.3 Chevy?That would certainly cast doubt about GMs so called "fuel management system" actually providing better fuel mileage.
the chevy had active handling, and the 20 inch rims, don't think either truck had nav. The Tundra got better mileage if i remember correctly, looks like that active fuel management is a joke.

·
Banned
888 Posts
I dont think some of you actually understand what "Fit and Finish means" ??
If i had you in front ,in or around a New GM product I would show you things most people never notice when looking at a vehicle.

·
Life with the awesome Tundra
106 Posts
The Chevy Silverado was rated above the Tundra. The trucks were close, what gave the Silverado the edge was it was a much better value due to it being less expensive. The Tundra won straight line speed easily, Chevy handled and drove better, they even said fit / finish went to chevy. Braking was a tie. The Chevy was an 5.3 access cab ltz, the Tundra was a 5.7 dc ltd. The Tundra certainly wins when you look at the specs and do the paper battle, but the Chevy seems to be racking up a lot of wins. When the Chevy gets the 6 speed tranny next year the performance of the 2 trucks should be very close. I will definately have to check out the Chevy before i buy anything.
Like I have mentioned this before in the other threads the 2007 tundra is not the best truck for your money at all. The only thing Toyota has is the the BIG engine and its reliability in the previous generation truck to lure in people to spend the BIG bucks. :rolleyes: Not taking my money until they come out with a winner truck like the previous generation truck. In fact Chevy has really put out a great product. :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
A couple notes on that article, which I have sitting right here in front of me:

First off, they give Chevy the edge because its a better value, but the as-tested price for the Tundra reads exactly like this: $42,500 (est). Yes, they estimated the as-tested price. The difference in the base prices are $3700 in favor of the chevy, but the as-tested prices widens to nearly $4600 :confused: The Tundra does have navigation, the Chevy doesn't.

Secondly, the handling advantage will more than be made up for if the Tundra was wearing the 20" wheels with the lower profile, stickier road tires. Also, like everyone has said, the 5.7 in the Tundy just DESTROYS the Silverado in performance test. Not surprisingly, I just wanted to throw that out there though. And the 0-60 for the tundra was clocked in 6 seconds flat!! They had to do the run in 4WD to keep the traction control and auto LSD from interfering.

Motor Trend also list the payload of the Tundra at 1155 lbs while the chevy is rated at 1635 lbs? Toyota's website lists the Tundra's payload at 1560 lbs. ?? They made a point in the article discerning these differences.

The curb weight is listed in the M/T article as 5845 lbs. Toyota's website lists it as 5520 lbs. Another point was also made in the article that Toyota's max towing of 10,300 couldn't be reached with much more than a driver in the truck due to the rated GVWR. If you do the math using the correct GVWR and weight that's a 425 lb driver; Whoa there big boy, good thing you bought a new Tundra...Well done Motor Trend.

Last but not least...There is a 4 page fold out Saturn "special advertising section" with special thicker glossed pages toward the front of the magazine. Wonder how much that cost, GM? The Tundra has a normal two-page spread. Don't feel like counting how many more GM ads were in there. It was a close comparison, the Motor Trend - GM partnership gives the Chevy the edge and Toyota gets screwed again. Makes me wonder how much GM stock the editor-in-chief of M/T owns...

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Like I have mentioned this before in the other threads the 2007 tundra is not the best truck for your money at all. The only thing Toyota has is the the BIG engine and its reliability in the previous generation truck to lure in people to spend the BIG bucks. :rolleyes: Not taking my money until they come out with a winner truck like the previous generation truck. In fact Chevy had really put out a great product. :tu: :tu: :tu:
Whatever trollbag...

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Afm isn't a joke imo. My 03 silverado ss 4.10s 6.0 got approx 13-14mpg. My 07 sierra with 6.0 and 4.10's anywhere from 14-18mpg 14 around town 16-17 interstate at 75-80mph 17-18 highway at 55-65mph. Afm might not work during the testing becuse the pedal is in the floor the whole time. The biggest thing that's holding gm's mpg is the 4sp auto. Which i personally can't complain about too much, never had one miss a beat other than mpg wise. My dad's got a 07 denali with the 6.2 and 6sp and it gets 17-18mpg interstate driving easily. Once gm gets the 6sp in the silverado's the gas comparison will be over. :tu: Still surprised Motortrend gave decision to Chevy. You guys are right in saying that a comparitive priced chevy will cost equal to a tundra.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The difference in the base prices are $3700 in favor of the chevy, but the as-tested prices widens to nearly $4600 :confused: The Tundra does have navigation, the Chevy doesn't.
So when you add in the cost of navigation system and the 6 litre engine the cost difference disappears.So much for the Chevy offering better value for the money.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hmph, they shoulda really tested the 4.7 liter to make it a more fair comp. Those two motors are fairly comparable imo. The 5.3 w/ 6 spd auto and DoD would definately beat out the 4.7 for MPG. But IMO, the whole mpg debate in full size trucks is pretty stupid. In realistic, all around city driving, ALL trucks, whether V8 or V6, tend to get fairly similar gas mileage. V8s especially. When using a truck for its proper use, IE hauling things, towing, off roading, MPG will really go down to similar numbers. In this segment of 8 cylinder, 5000 lb, flat-front beasts, I really don't think MPG in these things is THAT big a deal, unless you are constantly driving around hauling practically nothing on the highway. If that is what you are doing, then why even buy a truck?

Little things like adding a gear or two to your transmission or shutting down a few cylinders probably doesn't do THAT much better in realistic driving than the standard engine/tranny. Something more revolutionary, like a hybrid-diesel half ton with 8 speeds AND DoD, however, might really get substantially better mpg. But don't hold your breath on that.

Whatever the case, GM does seem to have the upper hand in both gas mileage and, for once, interior quality, though some say it will look dated soon. With a few GM updates/upgrades, Tundra might have little to brag about in the near future, especially if a 6.2 liter V8 finds its way into the Silverado with higher tow ratings. Also, Ford's upcoming Diesel F150 will also draw more attention to the already top selling truck. And Cummins is at work on a 4.3 liter I6 diesel for Chrysler trucks and SUVs. Tundra is definately a revolutionary product for Toyota - it has a fantastic engine, transmission, towing ability, and previous Tundra reliability/quality record, but that is about it imo. Alot of promising domestic products are on the horizon. Let's hope Toyota can quickly adapt to market changes/new product introductions before it quickly loses fire. I wonder if Toyota will in fact sell 200k this year?

Toyota - fix the interior, give us 1/2 and 3/4 ton diesels, and a larger Crewmax bed. This will end probably 90% of the squabbling on this forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
LMAO !!!
Stickers add HP TOO !!
you have no idea what you're talking about, these chevys are the not the chevys of 10 years ago, go drive one and you will see, and stop believing consumer reports, they suck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
GM does seem to have the upper hand in both gas mileage
Only as far as mileage ratings are concerned.According to both Car and driver and Edmunds,the 5.7 tundra has the upper hand mileage wise in actual driving.Ratings are meaningless if the vehicle does not actually achieve them.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Only as far as mileage ratings are concerned.According to both Car and driver and Edmunds,the 5.7 tundra has the upper hand mileage wise in actual driving.Ratings are meaningless if the vehicle does not actually achieve them.
Indeed, that's what most of my argument was about. In real life most trucks will all be similar. "Seem", as in what customers are most frequently exposed to. Most consumer will simply pay attention to the EPA ratings - the ones they see first on almost all spec sheets, the window sticker, commercials, magazines, propaganda, etc, as they are pretty much what you see first. The average customer will not hear about actual observed MPG first when they see a commercial, look quickly at things online, go to the dealer, of course. Now GM can brag up and down they have the most fuel efficient truck with that EPA rating, regardless of what it will actually achieve in real driving.

In reality all trucks, especially V8s, will suck gas like no other. I do believe, though, that the GM 5.3 liter with 6 speeds and DoD would beat the 4.7 liter, and the 6 liter should be able to edge out the 5.7 liter once it gets 6 gears. But again, MPG in a full size truck, imo, is irrelevent, with the currently technology available in the segment. If people wanna argue about MPG maybe they should worry about buying a smaller truck. The GM full size hybrid with 2 mode CVT is on the horizon as well. That may prove to be a somewhat significant improvement in MPG, but time shall tell.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts