Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I love how teachers don't check their e-mail on weekends and when you ask why it took so long to respond they say 'I have the weekends off so i like to spend my weekends relaxing away from school'..... Oh okay then why in the world would you give me hw for the weekend? If you don't want to think of school on weekends what makes you think I want to? If you can give me hw to do over a weekend you can check your e-mail!" My little brother, who's in community college, and getting the full "community college experience" i.e. lazy professors who give lots of homework.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a professor at decent state-sponsored 4-year university (not Harvard but not a community college either). I work every day during the semester including weekends, doing many many things (writing lectures, working on research, writing letters of recommendations for students, doing University committee work.) But I usually don't answer students' questions about assignments via email. Yes, my job is to help students, but I am allowed to help them in a way that is efficient for me. That means answering questions in front of the whole class (if most of the class will have similar questions) or, for more specific issues, meeting during office hours. (For most of the semester I meet with 5-20 students per week during office hours.) Writing students a comprehensive and accurate email can take 20 minutes and usually won't be nearly as helpful as meeting in person and chatting for 3-5 minutes. As you might guess, the emails asking for help are usually coming the day before the assignment is due and the student asking usually has missed the class when the assignment was explained or hasn't actually read the assignment sheet I posted on Blackboard.
So that's one professor's point of view.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"I love how teachers don't check their e-mail on weekends and when you ask why it took so long to respond they say 'I have the weekends off so i like to spend my weekends relaxing away from school'..... Oh okay then why in the world would you give me hw for the weekend? If you don't want to think of school on weekends what makes you think I want to? If you can give me hw to do over a weekend you can check your e-mail!" My little brother, who's in community college, and getting the full "community college experience" i.e. lazy professors who give lots of homework.

Thoughts?
I think that if the professor doesn't do what he supposed to do, students can pay him with the same coin. If I was in this situation, I would just give the lazy professor a fake essay or research paper. And I know where to find it, LOL. There is a special research paper writing service. They also write essays. Seriously, if the professor doesn't take care, you have a moral right to do the same stuff, I think. He saves time by not checking his email - save some time for yourself too, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts