Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got out of my truck, walked around the back and was pretty darn sure the rear end was sitting a bit lower on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. I took it to a buddy's shop and sure enough, sitting about 1 inch lower on the driver's side. The mechanic said he could not see anything broken, so without racking it he said it was pretty safe to assume that the leaf spring had "worn out" I guess.
I checked into getting them re-arched, but it was over 400.00!! My feeling was if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I might as well use it as an excuse to upgrade the performance, ride, and even lift. I found a Deaver 3 pack which is pretty similar to OEM, however lifts the rear end 1.5 inches. If I purchased these I could eliminate the 1 inch block I currently have. I also considered the Deaver racing pack which I believe has 10 leafs and is supposed to significantly increase ride quality and flex, but decreases payload capacity.
These are my two primary options right now, but thought I would ask the experts for other ideas.

Please let me know what you think.... :ts:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Are yous sure you just didn't have a full tank of gas? Some Tundra's get what is known in the Tacoma world as "TACO LEAN" when the springs start to wear out. The idea is in Japan the drive sits on the other side, and the weight of the tank balances the driver's weight. Since we sit on the left side, we only tip the scale in that direction.
Either way, I haven't tried either leaf set up you mentioned, but have heard good things about both. If payload really matters to you, you may want to get the 3pack. I'd personally take that over blocks any day, had bad experiences with blocks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are yous sure you just didn't have a full tank of gas? Some Tundra's get what is known in the Tacoma world as "TACO LEAN" when the springs start to wear out. The idea is in Japan the drive sits on the other side, and the weight of the tank balances the driver's weight. Since we sit on the left side, we only tip the scale in that direction.
Either way, I haven't tried either leaf set up you mentioned, but have heard good things about both. If payload really matters to you, you may want to get the 3pack. I'd personally take that over blocks any day, had bad experiences with blocks.
The mechanic actually asked me that question today, I did put gas in it before I got home, but only filled it halfway. I have never noticed this in the past, but I guess thats a possibility. You mentioned it happens with the springs start to wear out, so either new leaf pack should correct it right?
I hear ya regarding the leafs vs. blocks, kinda pumped about that actually. I don't actually haul a lot, mostly bikes and camping gear. The Deaver racing 10 pack is quite a bit more expensive, so that is a factor also.

Thanks for the response Tundrunk!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
From personal experience the Deaver 10 pack is smooth! Probly the best piece I have bought for my truck, but I had to sell it do to lack of payload. Payload for me is firewood, and alot of it, and the Deaver's are not made for it. If you haul just random stuff like you said that does not tip the scales you should be fine. Two dirt bikes worked for me without a problem, which had to be around 500lbs+ including gas, and gear. Yes they are pricey, but well worth it.

One thing that comes to mind with the 3 pack is that it just replaces the overload spring, so won't it still be leaning if the whole leaf pack is worn out? I have the same problem and figured after ten years thats to be expected. You could look on craigslist or the junk yard for salvaged Tundra's with low miles and take the leaf packs out of them. Or have a block machined an inch higher for the driver side. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the 10 pack and I think it's great...with that one exception of hauling. I haul to or three dirt bikes at a time, weekly, with gear and two other people the truck has no problem. However, this last weekend I bought a yard of dirt and the springs were maxed out. I'm thinking of purchasing some of the Hellwig helper springs to put on when I know I'm going to be hauling that much stuff.
On the road and off road the springs do great, a lot better than stock and stock with an AAL; they soak up the bumps a lot better.

FYI, I also have the Hellwig rear sway bar, camburg UCA's and the actual Bilstein coilovers for my complete suspension setup.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Those 3 leaf and 10 leaf packs are not meant for any kind of load at all, I wouldnt even bother with them.

Your trucks getting older, its time you had the leafs rearched. If you want they can add a leaf for you, I just had it done on my T100 at a reputable shop by me and it cost 600 out the door. They take off your springs, rearch (and in my case I asked for an extra leaf to be added), replace the bushings and shackles if need be and coat them with a HD powedercoat.

It was worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
This may be out of the question but, have you thought of going with a custom set-up?

Have you heard of the 63" chevy swap? It's pretty much taking the leaf springs from a chevy 4x4 and fabbing mounts to make them fit. It requires welding leaf springs mounts to the frame. I've been very satisfied with the set-up. It allows for better payload than the stock tundra leafs and does well off road.

This may be more than what you were looking for but, it's a suggestion. Other suggestion, contact Deaver or Alcan and tell them what you want and they should be able to put together a spring pack specific to your needs.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone...... tough decision, if money was no object I'd probably have them make a custom leaf pack for me, but Deaver told me today it would be around 750..... not cheap. And of course that is not including install.

I think the Chevy swap is probably a bit more than I'm willing to take on at this point. But definitely a nice mod dyogim!

The re-arching seems to be the most cost effective at this point while maintaining a decent ride and decent payload......... but not the most fun, hmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there. My truck had the famous lean as well. It wasn't my rear leaf springs. It was my front drivers side shock absorber bushing. It was worn metal to metal. The rubber bushing had given up completely. This is probably not your problem. Just something to check.. I through in some 5100's and the lean was gone. I did not check my rear springs (except for cracked leafs etc), but the truck leveled out like normal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the Deaver 10-pack with Bilstein 5100's in the rear and they're amazing! I've hauled a bike that was a little over 500lbs and my rear end was squatting pretty bad, but they still performed extremely well. If you don't haul much and you want a really smooth ride on and off-road, I'd say go ahead and get the Deaver 10-pack.

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
so 10-pack dudes... i have debated going with this set up in the past because i really want that super great road ride on the rear to match what i am getting with my icons up front. but i use my truck like a truck-to haul stuff from time to time. knowing that the 10-pack is going to flatten out sooner than the stock leafs will, by adding something like the hellwig helpers or some timbren bumpstops to help with bigger loads, even though these will do their job, how much wear does driving around with a flattened out 10 pack cause to the 10-pack leafs? i ask because i have seen where people have posted up that you need to get some kind of "assistance" type backup system along with a 10 pack if you are going to haul stuff, but i have never seen or heard of anyone that ever did it. what up?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Deaver 10-pack with Bilstein 5100's in the rear and they're amazing! I've hauled a bike that was a little over 500lbs and my rear end was squatting pretty bad, but they still performed extremely well. If you don't haul much and you want a really smooth ride on and off-road, I'd say go ahead and get the Deaver 10-pack.
Only 500 pounds and the rear was squatting??? Wow..... thats a bit discouraging. I like the sound of how they ride, but thats a lot more significant then I thought. I have a shell that obviously weighs quite a bit, then if it's loaded up for a long trip I'm sure I'd be in that range which would be a problem.

I think I need to call Deaver and see about a custom leaf pack, seems it may be the best long term option even though it's going to be the most costly ........ I am concerned about re-arching the current leafs cause that is just re-stressing already fatigued metal, I can't imagine that they will be solid for a long time.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You could also look into air bags for the rear if you get the Deaver 10-pack. You should be fine with any load with that setup.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry Derek24 Lol...
...If you haul heavy (500lbs+) stuff all the time, you might want to look into some type of helper system and contact Deaver about it. If you're just hauling heavy stuff every once in a while or dirt bikes on the weekend though, you should probably be fine.
WhiteLiteNin, as far as wear goes on these springs from driving around with a load, I'm yet to notice any wear or have any type of problem.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After talking with the guys at Deaver, I think I'm going to go with a custom leaf pack. This seems like the best play in order to not suffer the loss of payload, but gain the benefit of increased ride and flex off road. Should be ready to order in a month or so, and they said it will take 2 - 3 week's to fabricate and ship....... should be fun!

thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts