Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my truck ('04 Tundra) today for the first time to change the oil, and noticed a leak where the drive shaft meets the tranny. I've heard this is a common problem with the Tundras, and I'm hoping its covered under warranty. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You probably ought to take a look at TC007-06 TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK THROUGH DRIVESHAFT SLIP YOKE

8/1/2006 - 2004 model year Sequoia and Tundra vehicles equipped with 2WD transmission.

Some 2004 model year 2WD Sequoia and Tundra vehicles may display a small transmission fluid leak through the driveshaft (propeller shaft) slip yoke spline hole plug in the center of the yoke. An improved yoke assembly is available to correct the condition.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't open the link because I'm not a paid subscriber. My truck is still under warranty (38k miles) so I plan on dropping it off at the dealer this week.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yes my truck was serviced for that problem a few weeks ago. I wasn't happy when I discovered it especially with the low mileage I have on it. I found that along with a leak on my steering column where the shaft enters the rack and pinion.

·
Registered
369 Posts
There's a different TSB for '05 - '06 models with similar leak problems. As described in each TSB, the cause and fix is a little different for the related model years.

Interestingly, I found this evidence of a leak while doing the first oil change. (The truck had been sitting for about 3 hours since last driven.)

Amazingly, a few hundred miles later, while at the dealer for Lower Ball Joint Recall work, the leak couldn't be found. Even though I left the truck there overnight, the streaks and drops shown in the picture simply did not return. I'll be taking another look under there in the next few days, just to double check.

Maybe I should start a new thread to see if anyone else has a Tundra that can fix itself :eek: :confused: :tu:.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my truck into the dealer for this TSB (leaking slip yoke), but they only replaced the seal, not the entire assembly as the TSB states. Should I take it back to have the entire assembly replaced? Can someone send me the .pdf for this TSB?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
On the 06 the NHTSA has this bulletin:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary​
Make: TOYOTA Model: TUNDRA Year: 2006 Service Bulletin Number: 00106 NHTSA Item Number: 10019330 Summary Description: TRANSMISSION EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL LEAK (2WD ONLY). A750E TRANSMISSION MAY DISPLAY EVIDENCE OF A TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK FROM THE TRANSMISSION EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL (TAILSHAFT SEAL ASSEMBLY). *TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem with mine but never bothered to take it in since its not leaking much, but took it in this monday since the underbody was getting filthy with tranny oil I am still under the 60k/ 60month powertrain warranty. THe guys at Toyota of Glendora Inspected my truck and replaced the Slip yoke, Seems thay had alot of problems with the Yokes made during that time. The seal and bushing were fine. Good and fast service at Toyota of Glendora, CA.

2004 Toyota Tundra DC

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lipton Toyota replaced the entire drive shaft on my truck - no questions asked. It wasn't a bad leak as I never had to add any fluid, but I wanted it taken care of before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has a 2007 Tundra and when she had it in for regular service she was told that the driveshaft transmission seal was leaking and they replaced the complete drive shaft $1,700 which included regular service. Why replace the complete drive shaft? Why not just the yoke and seal? This seems like a profitable service department. Thanks for some answers and explanations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts