Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original factory battery in my 2007 Tundra was an Exide "unsealed" unit that, as others have mentioned here, tends to leak. I got tired of cleaning up the mess collecting on the battery and in the engine bay, where the acid started eating away at my truck, so I investigated a replacement.

To help other prospective Tundra owners, I wanted to express the good experience I've had with the Optima RedTop sealed battery, part 35 (8020-164). Since replacing the unit, I've had no leaks and the battery has not let me down, even in sub-freezing temperatures here in Colorado.

My Toyota dealer mistakenly installed a different Optima first, that was too large and had its terminals located on the wrong side, so make sure you get the right one.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Optima and have no stock in the company. :happy3d:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Funnyt hing is, my truck wouldn't start this morning. I listened to the radio for about 30 minutes last night and forgot to crank it up before I went back inside (or during). Came out today, it clicked and I had a whole ordeal of lights on the dash. It had enough power to play the radio, roll down windows adn do everything BUT start the truck.

HD battery my @$$. But, it's 50K miles and only let me down a few times. (none resulted in being stranded)

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I've been driving a little more than half a century, and I've owned many vehicles and I've replaced numerous batteries. I always replaced OEM batteries with Optimas. I've never had to replace an Optima.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
odyssey...they ain't cheap but they don't leak like the crappy stock one....I think the platinum die hards are a cheaper version...but they are not available in western canada....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been driving a little more than half a century, and I've owned many vehicles and I've replaced numerous batteries. I always replaced OEM batteries with Optimas. I've never had to replace an Optima.
They look pretty cool too.:cool:

It's too bad the stock Exide battery is so poor - but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funnyt hing is, my truck wouldn't start this morning. I listened to the radio for about 30 minutes last night and forgot to crank it up before I went back inside (or during). Came out today, it clicked and I had a whole ordeal of lights on the dash. It had enough power to play the radio, roll down windows adn do everything BUT start the truck.

HD battery my @$$. But, it's 50K miles and only let me down a few times. (none resulted in being stranded)

-rockstate
Sorry to hear that. Batteries don't like overnight energy drains from stereos but if you still have lights and other accessories it may not be your battery that's dead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you can afford it go with the Odyssey. This is one extreme battery! Optima seemed pretty good also. If you have a difficult time choosing between Odyssey and Optima do an internet search and ADD "failures" as a second keyword. My results showed significantly higher than average reliability for both brands compared to say an Exide. Between Odyssey and Optima my research had somewhat better reliability results for the Odyssey. Good luck in your selection!

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts

-rockstate
Mine is at 50k also and I have not had a problem YET. This will be the 4th winter so I suppose it is about due to fail.:cool:
I don't question that Optima and Odyssey are better batteries, but to me it is not worth the extra cost. I will probably only replace it once during the life of the truck so I will just get another OEM quality battery.;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same here Mendosy. Mine is at 80k with no problems so far in the 3+ years of ownership. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Batteries don't like overnight energy drains from stereos but if you still have lights and other accessories it may not be your battery that's dead.
I see...

My guess is that it just didn't have enough juice to get 'er going. No problems since that episode yesterday.

I'll take it for a grain of salt and see what happens later on.

-rockstate

·
Registered
598 Posts
Changing the oil in my tundra yesterday. And notice this on my Battery. The bar going across has acid and the battery is losing its shape. The kicker is my warranty was up last month. Contacted the dealership and they said to bring it in and they'll see what they can do. Don't feel like taking the day off from work to go. Might just go ahead and get a new one.

Is this what you guys are talking about?

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anyone have the part number for the correct optima? never trust the books in the auto stores. thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have the part number for the correct optima? never trust the books in the auto stores. thanks.
The optima website is correct, it should be: Optima RedTop sealed battery, part 35 (8020-164). Other optimas are too big or have the terminals on the wrong side.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Changing the oil in my tundra yesterday. And notice this on my Battery. The bar going across has acid and the battery is losing its shape. The kicker is my warranty was up last month. Contacted the dealership and they said to bring it in and they'll see what they can do. Don't feel like taking the day off from work to go. Might just go ahead and get a new one.

Is this what you guys are talking about?
Looks very similar to my Exide battery before I replaced it. The dealer said this leaking was "normal" for these OEM batteries. I was concerned it was leaking into the engine bay and eating away at the truck itself.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The optima website is correct, it should be: Optima RedTop sealed battery, part 35 (8020-164). Other optimas are too big or have the terminals on the wrong side.
Looks very similar to my Exide battery before I replaced it. The dealer said this leaking was "normal" for these OEM batteries. I was concerned it was leaking into the engine bay and eating away at the truck itself.
Thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts