Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to order new truck.:) Trouble deciding on material, Have 3 dog's who travel with us. I do a lot of fishing and am in and out with wet waders etc. In the past have alway's had fabric and used seat covers. Was wondering how the leather holds up? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMO leather is better (I did have 4 cars previously with fabric so I am speaking from some experience). I had an '01 Tundra LTD with leather that I just sold, and the leather was still intact after 105k miles. Leather cleans up better and doesn't start falling apart like fabric does. I have an Accord with leather and now an '07 Tundra in Red Rock (never had anything like Red Rock--got tired of tan and gray leather all the time--it's really a unique color). Also, leather seats seem firmer to me. I think it's worth the extra $$.
Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't like leather. I slide around on it when taking corners and it's cold and clammy, just like the vinyl seats of yesteryear. Give me cloth any day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Leather is easier to maintain and cheaper to fix than cloth just ask your local fabrication dealers it's an easy fix so I would say it's up to the individual on this option you chooose

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ive had both and its a toss up really. I guess that doesnt really help. I like the look/feel of the leather but it gets hot as hell in the summer even w/ tint and you do slide around alot on it. Cloth is nice, but naturally cheaper looking that leather and I have issues w/ shocking myself when I slide outta a cloth seat.:D

If I were forced to choose one to have, itd be cloth.:tu:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Oh God, PLEASE tell me that it's the cloth seats that causes my truck to shock the **** out of me every time I come home and touch a door knob. If so, that would seal the deal - leather only for me. I hate that. It's ridiculous.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I have always owned cloth seats and disliked leather in other vehicles. I swore I would never get leather. I assumed it would stain easier, be more expensive / difficult to repair, wear out faster, crack and split, be hotter in summer and colder in winter, etc. Then I got the Tundra DC Limited with heated leather seats. They are awesome. Much more comfortable and after a lot of research on the web I found out that all the above myths are untrue. I am now converted and don't plan to ever go back to cloth again. Leather rules.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have always owned cloth seats and disliked leather in other vehicles. I swore I would never get leather. I assumed it would stain easier, be more expensive / difficult to repair, wear out faster, crack and split, be hotter in summer and colder in winter, etc. Then I got the Tundra DC Limited with heated leather seats. They are awesome. Much more comfortable and after a lot of research on the web I found out that all the above myths are untrue. I am now converted and don't plan to ever go back to cloth again. Leather rules.
I agree, whenever it was in the budget, I have always opted for leather. I drove both and the leather is more comfortble and look better for me.

Side note, they are leather "faced" seats, meaning backs and sides are symthetic material.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree, whenever it was in the budget, I have always opted for leather. I drove both and the leather is more comfortble and look better for me.

Side note, they are leather "faced" seats, meaning backs and sides are synthetic material.

·
Registered
187 Posts
...and I have issues w/ shocking myself when I slide outta a cloth seat.:D
My wife's car used to shock me pretty hard when I would exit. Then I found out that if you grab hold of the metal frame on the door and hold it there while you put your foot on the ground, you won't get shocked. This grounds you to the car frame so the static electricity can't arc to you, which is what causes the shock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To answer the question, get the leather for no other reason that to be able to clean up the hair. The cloth that they used in the 07 Tundra is the biggest static magnet I have ever seen. It also traps lint and fibers. I have black cloth and I ned a roll of masking tape to keep it looking halfway decent. THe cloth used in the Toyota matrix was far better to work with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Personally, I hate leather and will always have cloth. But my wife is the exact opposite and loves her heated leather seats. Just a personal preference I guess. Regardless of what you get, I would still recomend covering your seats. Espescially when getting in with wet waders, as you say. You've probably seen them, but in case you haven't, The Wet Okole seat covers are awesome at providing a waterproof barrier. As far as the dog goes, my lab scratched the hell out of my wife's leather seats in her accord. Definitely cover the seats with a blanket or something.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have cloth in my current truck and it was my single largest regret. Everything seems to stain the cloth. My wife has leather in her car - its great. Spills wipe right off and never show. The Tundra is ordered with leather it wasn't even a consideration this time.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My wife's car used to shock me pretty hard when I would exit. Then I found out that if you grab hold of the metal frame on the door and hold it there while you put your foot on the ground, you won't get shocked. This grounds you to the car frame so the static electricity can't arc to you, which is what causes the shock.
Wow, good tip, thanks. Never even thought of doing that before.

·
Registered
764 Posts
With vinyl, cloth or leather I always immediately put Neoprene seat covers in my trucks. Vinyl is the most durable but the most unpleasant. Fleet vehicles usually have this and you'll get sweaty bus-driver butt pretty quick. Leather is superior to vinyl and actually breathes a little and cleans okay. Leather is the easiest to slide on when of getting in and out (great for shorter folks). Jumping into a leather seat with a screwdirver in your back pocket will have you crying pronto. Fabric breathes the best and for me has a better comfort feel to leather and is the most economical compromise between comfort and pratical use. Especially because when it come to my trucks I put on seat covers almost immediately.

My truck is worked daily and get's lots of wear, especially on the driver's side. I have tried seat covers made from cordura, microfiber, leatherette, saddle blanket, velour and about anything available and Neoprene seems to be the best in comfort and performance (albeit a bit pricey). I have to protect the OEM interior from abuse while giving my "como se llama" a comfortable ride. Same goes for floormats ... Husky Liner is the only way to go for me (and I've tried all heavy-duty floor systems always come back to Husky). All this applies when it come to my truck....

On our Sequoia we left the seats stock as it is used as a passenger car and 6 years of use still has the fabric in great conditon. Once again Husky Liners all the way around including cargo area for plants, pets and the occasional bag of topsoil or potting mix. Leather would be an acceptable alternative to cloth seats in our Sequoia.

I guess I'm mission specific in my vehicle usage and my Tundra won't be used for a night out on town, just a hard day's work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you ever go off road, hunting or fishing............Take your hand and smack the flat part of your seat. Get out of the plume of dust....Story over for me........no fabric.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the look, feel and smell of leather. Having said that, I have cloth in my SR5 double cab and wouldn't have it any other way. On long trips riding on leather seats I have to stop every 2 hours or so to get the soreness out of my back and a**, and when I do get out of the vechicle I have trouble walking for a few minutes. Conversey with cloth seats I can ride indefinitely without any discomfort. I'm an older guy now, but I've always had this problem with leather seats. I've also noticed that the older the seats are the worse the problem becomes even when I use leather conditioners frequently. Might just be my unique physical circumstances, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem I have with leather isn't actually with the leather. It's the fact that you have to get the limited to get the leather. Leather is nicer, but not 7 thousand dollars nicer (the price difference between the SR5 and Limited). Please correct me if I'm wrong, cuz if you can get leather in the SR5, point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Cloth seats provide a lot more friction between it and your clothes. I think that tends to support your lower back better rather than letting your low back slide down. That's the only thing I worry about with leather because I don't have much experience with it on long trips.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts