Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have 04 tundra ,it is cheaper and easyer to have dealer do my oil changes,or so i thought ,took front skid plate off to change front diff. oil ,dealers mech stripped threads off the threads on the frame and stripped two screws ,have only one in back and one in front holding it on .thought about telling dealer or just take skid plate off . any problems with water getting on things or stuff getting broke ?had 79 ford it had no skid plate and no problems(the skid plate is the factory one that slopes down from the bumper and catches the oil from the filter when changing it . i think of it more as a splash gaurd

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, your alternator is down there.
i wouldn't want alot of water getting into it.
plus, it protects everything.
the bad, if you drop a wrench, socket, skrew, nut, etc.
you have 2 options: leave it, or drop the pan.
sadly i leave it.
i would rather have that protection.
i heard of a guy who went off-roading, & mud killed his alternator.
your ride, your choise,
gorilla

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it normal day to day driving. I would keep it on if you were doing any off-roading or plowing through deep snow...Do you guys get that much there??

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had one screw get stripped on front, I just use a little bit smaller bolt with a nut on the other end. If you don't go off road or palnnin to run thru trees, then you shoul dbe ok. personaly I like it, it will protect my engine from road debris.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
hi, your alternator is down there.
i wouldn't want alot of water getting into it.
plus, it protects everything.
gorilla
What I was thinking. It may be 1 in a thousand, but, sometimes street driving can be more hazardous than off road. Think bottles, cans, 2x4's, and finally animals. I guess it depends on the neighborhood if the protection is worth it.

As far as oil changes, it is a PITA, to drop the skid plate to get at the oil filter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
one of the fukin bolts on mine *front and center* is STRIPPED so i have to take all the others off and BEND the damn thing down to change the oil. how awesome is that?

BTW, a 2.5 gallon water jug with the top cut out is a PERFECT way to catch oil from the oil filter area. just a BTW

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took my skid plate off many months and many miles ago. No problems whatsoever (knock on wood).

I do remember reading a thread a while back about a member hitting a plastic bucket at highway speeds and the impact causing the radiator to deform leading to a leak. But then again that could have happened to any car he was driving.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I would be more worried about the oil filter and the bottom of the radiator getting a rock through them...
I agree, there are a few things down there that I would personally rather have protected. At freeway speeds, it wouldn't take much debris getting kicked up at your radiator or filter to leave you spilling vital fluids all over the road and waiting for a tow. I have run without mine on for a few days before, I felt nervous.

If the nuts the bolts lock into are stripped, you can use a tap to rethread them to a size up, then just pick up new bolts. Wouldn't be too hard, just a bad spot to work on as far as comfort goes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
3 years and 50k road miles without my skid plate and no problems.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I read on this forum where a owner used a zip lock bag to capture the oil filter and oil during removal from the top. This negates the need to remove the skid plate every time the oil is changed.

I tried that and it works great. I have to use a stool to help me get at the filter. I loosen it a bit and then completely cover it with a ziplock bag. One hand hold the bag in place, the other unscrews the filter. When I am done, I drain the oil in the bag into the catch pan.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
... i think of it more as a splash gaurd
Funny, that's what it's called in the parts manual too: "Splash Shield".

Both of my bolts in the back were bent last time I removed the skid plate and consequently the welded nuts on the inside of the frame were broken free. Figures they'd break free inside the boxed portion of the frame... No problem, I just did as DevinSixtySeven would have done, used the trusty sawzall to cut the bolts in half. The final problem was remedied by two wide-flanged knurled 8x1.25mm Nutserts and some JB Weld. While I was under there I ran a 8x1.25mm tap through the front weldnuts. Also replaced all the bolts with SS and now everything goes together smoothly once again. :happy3d:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That is certainly a good solution :D.

Usually, those nuts just end up carrying a lot of corrosion, as opposed to the threads themselves being damaged. Run the tap through, and put a thin film of grease on the (new) bolts. Toyota doesn't grease anything from the factory, at least as far as I can tell, so if you want to get it apart again, use a little grease. If your bolts aren't already damaged, it'll keep them from being destroyed...and make sure the grease monkeys aren't using a zip gun on those bolts unless they are using a torque stick with a very low setting AND the bolts have been hand-threaded in place FIRST. To be quite honest, I have never used an impact gun on my truck. I own one, but it's for pulling the valve nut off rebuildable coilovers.

FWIW, I also use loctite on the skid plate bolts. It's worked well so far.

If you'd like a good alternative to the splash guard...Skid Row makes a nice skid plate (ie not just a splash guard), with a hole in the bottom for access to the drain plug. You can do the same thing on your stock skid plate, using a hole saw...just remember to use cutting fluid, and turn it slow.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I am amazed at the amount of people that actually take the time to remove the 'splash shield' when doing an oil change. I have a 2005 Limited DC that looks like brand new, inside and out. If you look under the hood, my engine looks showroom fresh. I have never removed the plate, and do all my own oil changes. I remove the filter from the top, and let any oil that spills just run down onto the plate. I then install the new filter (from the top), fill with oil, and use some Simple Green and the garden hose to wash off the plate (from the top as well). Everything looks like new, I have no stripped bolts, or have to take the time to deal with the plate.

I know there are many methods for accomplishing any given task, this is mine, and to me it seems to be the easiest.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Knowingly letting your oil spill out of your block and filter as you change it and then simply washing it away is a little environmentally irresponsible, don't you think? I realize it is on a much larger scale, but imagine if BP in the Gulf had that same outlook... It's only oil, whats the big deal?
I am not a tree hugger or anything like that but I think we all need to do our little part to make things a little better for our kids when possible.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If your doing off roading, I'd put it back on or find a way to mount it. Mines currently dented and busted up. All the screws broke off. Ah well. Bent up is going to get my money next.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts