Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think this has to do with Murphy's Law. Something about don't mess with something if it's not broke. As soon as you do you'll have problems. Well.....

I jumped on the LED bandwagon and started installing LED's into my 2005 Tundra, but I've had nothing but problems. The funny thing, is that it seems to be only those in the tail light assembly; both left and right brake. Ones inside the rig have been bulletproof.

So you know, I'm still using the stock tail light assembly and I'm using plug and play LED bulbs from VLEDs. I had swapped out the red 48 SMT's brake lights bulbs, which were failing on both the left and right side, for the red 7w LED bulbs. The 7w worked fine for a while, but then a 7w brake light LED failed (right side of truck only). Turn signal LEDs still working. Anyway, it's only when you step on the brake and the right side LED flickers. When the 7w are illuminated via the parking lights, they are fine. So, 7w was replaced and a week later, same thing is happening again. The longer you keep 'em in the worse the LED gets and then they begin to fail and don't light at all or the individual LEDs become really dim.

Now I understand voltage and heat are some of the problem that cause bulbs to fail, or so I'm told, but I've had major issues with the tail light bulbs over the last year. Most I've talked to have just installed the plug and play bulbs and they've had no issues. Fortunately VLEDs has been very accommodating and has provided a replacement, but I'm getting tired of replacing LED bulbs that should last much longer. But I'm thinking I may have a bigger issue, like an electrical problem, specifically on the right side of the vehicle. There's no way I can have that much bad luck with a car bulb.

What's your experience been? Similar problems?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Have you looked inside the sockets? There may be a voltage fluctuation due to a build up of some sort or crud on the contacts in there. If you have a meter, have someone push the pedal and see what your voltage is. Prob not your issue but worth a shot.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have noticed marginal soldering on a couple of the bulbs I got from them, especially where circuit boards meet each other at right angles. I was able to reflow the joints and get them working again. If you have access to a soldering iron you might be able to do the same. It should be noted VLEDs may not appreciate the repair attempt though, should you still need to return them.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
try superlumination.com and order from them. I've ordered from them several times. Customer service is very good. If the leds burn out from them then you must have an electrical problem like you said. Or worse case scenario go back to the stock incandescent bulbs. Don't have LED taillight bulbs but I was thinking about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts