Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Limited Access Cab...

TundraExterior.jpg

...that I installed some Philips LED Daytime Running Lights on. I figured it would be a stylish way to make an older truck look new(er) and add some safety factor in terms of visibility. (See here for product info: Amazon.com: Philips 12824WLEDX1 DayLight 8 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light: Automotive )

TundraLEDDRL.jpg

The quick and the dirty is the lights have two brightness levels. Full blast (daytime) mode and a dimmer (nighttime) mode. There is a control box that splices into your headlight to toggle the brightness level depending on if your headlights are on. (On=dim / Off=bright)

My problem is no matter which wire I splice into from the main headlight harness (3 wires into the connector / only 2 provide for a positive connection) the lights remain in the dimmed mode continuously, unless you have the high-beams on...then the DRLs will be bright as well.

My truck had the stock headlight DRL function which I disabled by unplugging the resistor harness right next to the battery. The power is hooked in through the fuse box, although it performed the same...and actually stalled under deceleration...when it was plugged straight into the battery.

Does anyone know why the lights aren't toggling brightness correctly? I have to think it's because I'm spliced into the wrong wire. Would splicing into the parking light on the corner be more appropriate for this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
187 Posts
With out seeing a print I am gust guessing.
It may be possible that you need power to BOTH wires to the led lights to give you the bright side.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got the four led version and the control box has an led on the back that's suppose to light up when you connect to the lead to the proper headlight wire. Do you have that option?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I couldn't get mine to work properly either until I tossed the instructions.. I ran the power lead into the headlight side of the disconnected DRL resistor using a small spade terminal and zip tied the other 'signal' wire out of the way. This way, it only has power when the headlights are off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts