Toyota Tundra Forums banner

LED DRL Switchback LED bulbs issues

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  stkabc 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP !!!!

Vehicle: 2015 Toyo Sequoia limited. Same on 2015 Tundra

Three wires into the wedge DRL/Turn signal socket- Pink-turn signal , Purple- DRL , and White with black line (negative)

I have tried 5 different DRL switchback bulbs and had to return all of them. Amazon listings all said it would be simple plug and play, and work correctly. Later I saw numerous posts with issues, some said it was not for some Toyota vehicles, and others said it worked for them?

They did not function correctly, never giving me a WHITE light for DRL, only amber/yellow.

All when inserted, have the amber light up when the veh is started, and when the headlights are turned on they turn white.

In other words when the DRL are on, they are yellow only. Then when you turn on the headlights, they turn white. Turn signal are still amber.

Someone said to cut and cross the two of the three wires (not the ground blk/wht) and that gave me the white DRL, but then no turn signals.

Somewhere I read (but didnt do it) that I need to run another positive wire ( powered only when veh. is on) from elsewhere into the socket wiring on the purple wire so they turn on when the veh. is on. This would ensure that it is powered when the veh. is on. Sounds possible but ????

Does anyone know the answer before amazon bans me for the many returns ? Im about to give up and would appreciate any insight, I did search through the threads/posts but could not find the solution.

Thanks.

Len.

See less See more
#3 ·
The problem with Switchbacks in the Sequoia is that the DRL/turn-signal/parking bulb illuminates differently based on the different lamp settings.

The 3157/4157 bulb has dual filaments: a HIGH; and a LOW.

Here is how the bulb is illuminated for different lamp settings:

DRL: HIGH - Turn-signal: HIGH/OFF
Parking lights: HIGH - Turn-signal: HIGH/LOW
Headlamps: LOW - Turn-signal: HIGH/LOW

For Switchback bulbs, LOW=white and HIGH=amber. So really the only mode in which a Switchback bulb would work "correctly" would be when the headlamps are on.

I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.