Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LED in the Door Handle - "BMW Style" with a Twist

So after many requests I have made a DIY of the for the LED in the door handle that I did for my truck. Hope this helps everyone with there questions. This is kinda of a continuance of jeepnuts311 post of the BMW lights thread(Here). Got the idea from him and added my own twist to it(thx jeepnuts311!:)). I am assuming you have already ran the wire to the door handle that jeepnuts311 explained.

Step1:
Remove the 2 half's of the door handle with the screw. I was not able to get it off with a screw driver or a regular drill. I had to use a impact drill and one person to hold the handle and the other unscrew it. Takes a lot of pressure on the impact drill to remove the screw.

Step2:
Drill one hole for the LED in the middle of the back side of the handle. Then test fit the LED so the top part of the LED is in the hole. Then drill a hole for the wire to go through on the other side.

Step3:
Hold the LED in place and glue it down. Also glued part of the wire down so it doesnt move around and on the part where the wire goes out side of the handle.

Step4:
Test it and make sure it works;)

Step5:
Place the two half's back together and screw it back. Make sure you move the wire to the side so it doesnt get in the way of the screw.

Step6:
Place the wire through the opening of the hole towards the right side. Then place the handle back on and then end cap back on.

Now that your are all done, stand back and admire the work.:D

Now lets see someone do it for a crewmax please

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
This is awesome! Your truck looks great with these. Where is the switch or how do they turn off? I have a crewmax, but there is no way I am attempting this. I would definitely pay someone to do it though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm definitely going to do this one instead of jeepnuts. No offense jeepnuts, this BMW light mod is an awesome mod and right now I have them set up like jeep's, but after seeing this I might have to change :)

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
I'm definitely going to do this one instead of jeepnuts. No offense jeepnuts, this BMW light mod is an awesome mod and right now I have them set up like jeep's, but after seeing this I might have to change :)
Do'em both!!! That is what I am thinkin' of doing. What about a DIY for the rears please? :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nice. I set mine up this way because I wanted some light on the ground, but this really adds a great accent to the truck.

Why did it take an impact? Was it on there that tight, or was the inner nut spinning?

-Tim

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I set mine up this way because I wanted some light on the ground, but this really adds a great accent to the truck.

Why did it take an impact? Was it on there that tight, or was the inner nut spinning?

-Tim
It was on that tight.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
how did u mount the rears.....MM and i wanna know...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
VooDooDan, I have found a pack of small LED sealed amber, about a 1' long in a small tube all most flat. If i mount this on the underside of my mirror shouldn't i be able to tap wire and push wire through and down in to the door to under the dash. I would like to tie it to the appropriate blinker for that door. If concept works I would have amber led under my mirror working in conjunction with my flashers when operating. The small led is about a inch long, maybe 1/2" wide and 3/8ths" tall. I was looking at putting one under each mirror to sync with the flashers. Any idea if it sounds worth it. I think my hardest part will be to find the proper wire tie into for right and left...
zeeya

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
VooDooDan, I have found a pack of small LED sealed amber, about a 1' long in a small tube all most flat. If i mount this on the underside of my mirror shouldn't i be able to tap wire and push wire through and down in to the door to under the dash. I would like to tie it to the appropriate blinker for that door. If concept works I would have amber led under my mirror working in conjunction with my flashers when operating. The small led is about a inch long, maybe 1/2" wide and 3/8ths" tall. I was looking at putting one under each mirror to sync with the flashers. Any idea if it sounds worth it. I think my hardest part will be to find the proper wire tie into for right and left...
zeeya
Check out this turn signal mod.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zeeya
I dont think it would be a problem to do, but I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. Looks like you have a SR5 tundra and I think most of them are already wired for turn signals already. I think the only way you wouldnt have it is if you had the SAP package.

Also the LED's might be to big if they are a inch long. I would look for a orange weather proof LED strip that can be cut to size.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how did u mount the rears.....MM and i wanna know...
If you look inside the door handle you will see a small flat part that will be pointing right at you if you look inside the handle when you open it. I drilled one small hole for it.

When I did the back doors I didnt have my camera at the time so I dont have any photos.

·
Registered
167 Posts
x2.. how'd you do the rears? it looks sweet.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
If you look inside the door handle you will see a small flat part that will be pointing right at you if you look inside the handle when you open it. I drilled one small hole for it.

When I did the back doors I didnt have my camera at the time so I dont have any photos.
Thanks for that info..I'ma do LED's both below the door handle and behind the door handles.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts