Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Do you feel a raise/knob in the middle of the handle since there is an led there??
No. The LED doesnt go all the way to the outside of the handle and I put a dab of hot glue on the out side to make the hole level with the plastic. If i was looking for it by touch I can only feel a difference in texture from the glue and plastic.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Awesome. I'm planning to do this as my next project :)
can I use the regular 5mm led? Will it be bright enough?
thinking of going with blue LEDs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks great. I just got a Tundra and Im starting to make it my own. What size/kind or LED did you use? And just to be clear, you ran the wire all the way from the door to under the dash? Thank you for the post

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
74 Posts
ok i did the front right door and taped in to the light under the dash

I copied these directions:

You want to use this light under the dash to tap into for power because it is the only light that fades in and out, and it works with the key fob...totally sweet
. This gives you light before you open the door handle when you click unlock walking to the truck.
(The blue wire is + and the orange is -)

I grounded the led's to the door, the leds turn on but stay on they don't turn off when the lights turn under the dash turn off, when i set the alarm there still on, what did i do wrong????

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ok i did the front right door and taped in to the light under the dash

I copied these directions:

You want to use this light under the dash to tap into for power because it is the only light that fades in and out, and it works with the key fob...totally sweet
. This gives you light before you open the door handle when you click unlock walking to the truck.
(The blue wire is + and the orange is -)

I grounded the led's to the door, the leds turn on but stay on they don't turn off when the lights turn under the dash turn off, when i set the alarm there still on, what did i do wrong????

I ran a wire back to the light for the ground. I dont think you can just ground it to the door. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I ran a wire back to the light for the ground. I dont think you can just ground it to the door. Hope that helps.
This is correct. can't ground to metal, ground from the light.

-Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok, so am I the only one having problems removing the two parts of the handles off of the door itself? I removed the screw on the inside of the door, I noticed a clip on the outside of the door where the lock was but it's still stuck in there... if there is more clips where are they to break the two apart? Or what's the trick?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: LED in the Door Handle - "BMW Style" with a Twist

Love this mod! I prefer your version for two reasons. First, it requires no cutting of the lock cylinder and second, it lights the recess behind the handle rather than down toward the ground. Just traded in my '10 for a '12 and when I have a free weekend I'm going to do this mod.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Two questions - how are you getting from the drivers side light that fades across to the passenger door?

Also, any routing tips for doing the rear doors on a Crew Max?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is an update with photos of the LED's in the DCAB rear handles.

Remove the 2 rubber caps from the door to get access to the 2 nuts that hold the handles on. Put some masking tape on the end of the socket so the nuts dont fall inside the door. Then you have to unclip a metal bar for(like what the tail gate handle uses) handles to be removed from the door. Wasnt able to get any other photos in side the door. Not enough light to focus on anything.

Drill a hole inside the handles to place the led in.

Back side view. Didnt turn on so good on showing the led inside the handle.

With the led on

Then place the handle back in the door and wire it up.

Did you install them from the front and sink in or did insert them from the back? How did you get around the rubber part to get epoxy in there? What size drill bit did you use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going do this mod tomorrow and was wondering if you could upload the pics on how to do the rears again. I'm not worried about the front as it seems pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure where to drill the hole in the rear handles so the pics would be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: LED in the Door Handle - "BMW Style" with a Twist

So after many requests I have made a DIY of the for the LED in the door handle that I did for my truck. Hope this helps everyone with there questions. This is kinda of a continuance of jeepnuts311 post of the BMW lights thread(Here). Got the idea from him and added my own twist to it(thx jeepnuts311!:)). I am assuming you have already ran the wire to the door handle that jeepnuts311 explained.

Step1:
Remove the 2 half's of the door handle with the screw. I was not able to get it off with a screw driver or a regular drill. I had to use a impact drill and one person to hold the handle and the other unscrew it. Takes a lot of pressure on the impact drill to remove the screw.

Step2:
Drill one hole for the LED in the middle of the back side of the handle. Then test fit the LED so the top part of the LED is in the hole. Then drill a hole for the wire to go through on the other side.

Step3:
Hold the LED in place and glue it down. Also glued part of the wire down so it doesnt move around and on the part where the wire goes out side of the handle.

Step4:
Test it and make sure it works;)

Step5:
Place the two half's back together and screw it back. Make sure you move the wire to the side so it doesnt get in the way of the screw.

Step6:
Place the wire through the opening of the hole towards the right side. Then place the handle back on and then end cap back on.

Now that your are all done, stand back and admire the work.:D

Now lets see someone do it for a crewmax please
Do you have any photos???

41 - 55 of 55 Posts