Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 4dr and want to buy newer housings for it. I also want to have either LED or HID. Opinions and help is wanted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like LED's (Light Emitting Diode) over HID's (High Intensity Diode). With HID headlights the light takes a while to "warm up", so even though your headlights are on it could take up to two minutes before the light is at full intensity. Also the lifespan of HID's is shorter then LED's. A HID headlight will experience "lumen depreciation" after about 3,000 - 5,000 hours. So if you drive with your headlights on for 3 hours every day it would take under 4 1/2 years for the HIDs to loose some of their brightness.
Now, with LEDs you experience none of these problems. When you turn your headlights, the LED is instantly as bright as it can possibly be. Now a Led will experience lumen depreciation as well, however it will take much longer for this to happen. Many LED bulbs can be run for 50,000 hours and still hold up to 70% of their original brightness. Go back to our "3 hours a day" model. It would take 45 years for the light to dim.
Ultimately it is up to you whether you choose HID or LED, but I highly recommend LED headlights. I am running Race Sport Gen 2 LED headlights, and Rigid Industries DOT/SAE fog lights.
IMG_0023.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm running some cheaper led headlights, they were 100 dollars and they definitely throw light a lot more but because mine are cheap they interfere with the radio stations when there on since they are not shielded correctly. But I still like them better than HID

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would like to convert to LED headlights too. Anyone have suggestions of a kit that won't interfere with radio stations and is a good price? Anyone try the one yota master asked about? Also, there is quite a variation in wattages. Even the 25W ones are significantly brighter than OEM. Is it worthwhile to get the 35W? Any more than 35W seems like it would blind people on the road.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I would like to convert to LED headlights too. Anyone have suggestions of a kit that won't interfere with radio stations and is a good price? Anyone try the one yota master asked about? Also, there is quite a variation in wattages. Even the 25W ones are significantly brighter than OEM. Is it worthwhile to get the 35W? Any more than 35W seems like it would blind people on the road.
The only way to tell if they will interfere is you'll have to read the reviews on the kits. Usually the higher dollar ones will have a better chance of being shielded correctly.

I have 36 watt LEDs in my headlights and they seem to be about right. There bright enough for me and they won't bother people usually

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ordered ones from yota master's link above from LEDheadlightspro.com. I installed them and the low-beam will not work but high beams will. Did it on both lights. I emailed the company 4 days ago and got no response. I tried to call a bunch of times and it goes to voicemail. I emailed again today and they got right back to me and told me "There is probably something wrong with the connections. You might want to have a local garage look at it, so he can see what was wrongly connected." Well, there is only one way they can connect and I am confident I did it correctly. It's kind of foolproof. I emailed back asking to return them. We'll see. Think I'm going with some 5K "HID Look" halogens unless someone has a kit they've used and recommend. There aren't that many kits out there. Anyone else have any experience (good or bad) with this stuff?

·
Registered
174 Posts
took it to mechanic. Ground actually switches from one pin to a different pin when switching from high beam to low beam. They won't work. Had to ship them back (international shipping to Canada). Was a PITA and cost $26. Mine is an '05 withOUT daytime running lights. I really want to go HID or LED, but need a kit that can compensate for that. Looked into 5000K halogens. They only have lifespans of 110-150 hours. Not going to spend that type of money to have them burn out after a year or so or take the chance of being pulled over because it burned out. What HID kits have worked for people. I really want to convert but am having trouble finding a solution. I know others have done this. What specific kits will work (and not cause radio interference)?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ordered Morimoto HIDs. They are a little of a pain to install but they are awesome. I got the 35W (5000K). No need for anything brighter. I highly recommend although they are a little more expensive than some other kits and I wonder if they were worth the extra. The GENSSI look like they may be comparable and are less expensive. I wanted reliability on my headlights so paid extra for the Morimoto since everyone seems to think they are the best (don't want to get stopped for headlight out). Went less expensive with DDM Tuning LEDs for the fogs and for all 3 bulbs on my wife's Highlander. They haven't arrived yet. I can post a comparison between my HID's and her LED's once I get them installed and try them out. I think they'll be pretty similar.
Avoid LEDHeadlightsPro.com at all costs. I sent back the LED's that their website said were compatible with my truck after taking them to a mechanic (at the vendor's request) to determine that they won't work. Then I paid international return shipping. So, that's around $55 I spent above the cost of the lights. They received the return 2 weeks ago and still have not credited my card after 2 emails asking about it. I filed a credit card dispute to get my money back.

·
Registered
415 Posts
how are the morimotos?

·
Registered
174 Posts
They're awesome. They are super bright, look great and seem to be great quality. I was worried they were too bright or unfocused, but have only been flashed by oncoming cars one time and I've used them several times at night so think they are ok in that regard. I like them so much, I bought the same ones for the projector low beams on my wife's '13 Highlander and bought Morimoto LEDs for the high beam/DRL's. I tried LED's from DDM Tuning on the Highlander first. They were horrible. Not nearly bright enough, not focused, and way too blue colored. Avoid the DDM Tuning LED's unless you don't need bright and don't mind the blue, almost purple hue. Also, LEDheadlightspro.com never did contact me or voluntarily refund my money. I got my money back from the credit card company. Avoid them at all costs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
thanks for the update...I'll most likely end up with morimotos from TRS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed some 36W LED headlight bulbs into my 2006 Access Cab Tundra.

Amazon.com: Car Rover 36W Cree Chips LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - High Low H4/ 9003/ HB2: Automotive

Both the high beams and low beams work very well and provide a noticeable increase in lighting. During the installation, I also installed LED bulbs into the marker lights, also increasing the light quality to a whiter, brighter white. (6000K vs 2700K)

The downside of the conversion is the loss of the fog light function. When turning the fog lights on with the switch on the stalk, the high beams are turned on, not the fogs. The high beam switch also activates the high beams.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or are another brand of lights needed?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like LED's (Light Emitting Diode) over HID's (High Intensity Diode). With HID headlights the light takes a while to "warm up", so even though your headlights are on it could take up to two minutes before the light is at full intensity. Also the lifespan of HID's is shorter then LED's. A HID headlight will experience "lumen depreciation" after about 3,000 - 5,000 hours. So if you drive with your headlights on for 3 hours every day it would take under 4 1/2 years for the HIDs to loose some of their brightness.
Now, with LEDs you experience none of these problems. When you turn your headlights, the LED is instantly as bright as it can possibly be. Now a Led will experience lumen depreciation as well, however it will take much longer for this to happen. Many LED bulbs can be run for 50,000 hours and still hold up to 70% of their original brightness. Go back to our "3 hours a day" model. It would take 45 years for the light to dim.
Ultimately it is up to you whether you choose HID or LED, but I highly recommend LED headlights. I am running Race Sport Gen 2 LED headlights, and Rigid Industries DOT/SAE fog lights.
View attachment 67505
Where did you buy the headlights from?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts