Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought me some LED bulbs to replace my driving lights/front turn signals. They keep immediately blowing fuses, both the marker lights fuse and the hazard lights fuse. I've tried flipping the bulbs around in case the polarity was reversed, no luck.

Any suggestions? Besides throwing the bulbs in the trash.... thats plan B

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
LEDs are a diode so connected the right way they work and the wrong way nothing happens. Something else is blowing the fuse but it's hard to tell what.
Check the bulb bases to be sure that they EXACTLY match what you took out. They could be shorting out the socket if they're not right.
If you have a voltmeter check continuity from the housing to the center pin. They should read a fairly low resistance (depends on the bulb) one direction and open the other direction.
To be more specific they should read continuity when the plus lead is on the center pin and the minus lead is on the case.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You might want to check the bulbs to make sure the contacts are not shorting out the circuit and blowing a fuse.

Without resistors installed in the circuit, you'll get hyperflashing when you try the blinker, once you get the parking light part of it working. If you have the resistors already in each side of the circuit, you'll want to make sure you have the right size and those installed correctly. I put my resistors in the rear of the vehicle when I installed the LEDs in the front markers/parking lights.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Another thing to watch for is duty cycle. Be sure the bulbs can specifically tolerate a full time on condition, as opposed to a temporary on (flash). Many of the latest high powered LED bulbs make a fair bit of heat and cannot tolerate the former.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts