Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ok. so i checked it out. want my opinion?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, I checked it out too. Are you going to tell us what is involved?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning!

Here are a few steps to install the LED lights strips:

1. Order 2-48 flexible LED strips (i cut 6 LED lights out a strips, that means i have 42 LED lights strips. I just want to make it fits around the head lights better because 48 LED lights is a little too long)

2. Buy 2-18ga black and red wires use to connect from the LED strips to side parking lights. I connect left LED strip to the left parking light and right LED strip to the right parking lights. You can connect in whatever way that you like. You have to pull your paking lights out in order to make the connection. Please the owner manual for how to pull out these parking lights. It's pain in the butt to pull them out. LED strips come with about 10 to 12-in of pre-wired (wire to small) therefore i cut it short and connect to 18ga wire.

3. I used silicon to glue the LED strips to the headlights and don't forget to use painter tap to hold the LED strips to the headlights for at least 2 hrs until the silicon is dry out. Before glue the LED strips to the headlights house, you make sure to position the strips so that it is not too far inside when you close the hood and you don't it to be outside the hood because it is not very nice to see the LED strips hang on the top of the headlights housing. The point is to hide the LED lights under the hood so nobody can see but it still can be seen when turn on the lights. Choose to install the LED strips so that pre-wired end is near your power source just to save some wires and time to run the wires. Don't forget to use wire protector because you don't want your electrical wire rough against the metal.

4. Now, let's turn it on and enjoy your work.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can you get a night view of the front with both lights in the picture. Hard to tell with a small zoomed in pic. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a pix that i took at night but it does not look too good. At night, the LED lights are very bright but it does not look good when capture by a cheap camera. I will try it again. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kind of an old post, but I just looked at these again. I 'think' I like the LED strip on the bottom. I also like that he wired them up to the lights so when the lights turn on, so do the LEDs. I am thinking about doing this, but I will probably wire a switch to the inside of the car between the lights and LEDs. If for whatever reason I don't like them or something calls for them not needing to be on I can shut them off. I have read the direction a couple times, but having a hard time figuring it out. How do you actually get the leds inside the plastic housing? Does it pop off?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Kind of an old post, but I just looked at these again. I 'think' I like the LED strip on the bottom. I also like that he wired them up to the lights so when the lights turn on, so do the LEDs. I am thinking about doing this, but I will probably wire a switch to the inside of the car between the lights and LEDs. If for whatever reason I don't like them or something calls for them not needing to be on I can shut them off. I have read the direction a couple times, but having a hard time figuring it out. How do you actually get the leds inside the plastic housing? Does it pop off?
its just a LED strip that is stuck to the outside edge...doesnt need to go inside. its just glued on to the edge.

and i agree with salsa max. looks very DIY...kinda like LED strips glued to a headlight....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do does Do It Yourself mean guess at what to do??? Does anyone know how to get the housing open? I would like to put it inside the actual light. I think it looks a little tacky having something like that just stuck on the outside.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i thought i read somewhere before when people were doing DIY blackout of the headlights you put the light housing in the oven to heat the glue and then peel it apart (lens from the housing). not saying it works but you might want to try searching for the headlight blackout... i think it was under the Tundra threads

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to put it inside the actual light. I think it looks a little tacky having something like that just stuck on the outside.
Yes, some people refer to install the led inside the headlight housing. Just the turn on your oven 350 degree and bake the headlight for a few minutes so that the sealant used to seal the headlight assembly melt then pull the headlight a part. Everyone wants to try this must be very careful not to melt your headlights. The Led lights are not really last as long as they said so it will be easier to replace the Led outside the headlights assembly than inside. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
The downside with baking the headlights is trying to reseal them. While it seems simple, I'd say 90% of people I have seen suffer from condensation issues from an inadequate seal when putting them back together

Jonny

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hmmmm I wonder if this would look well with the hid fogs? I have a spare led strip lying around the house, I'll have to test it out. If it does match, it'd be a pretty sick look with the hid fogs on and these led strips.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmmmm I wonder if this would look well with the hid fogs? I have a spare led strip lying around the house, I'll have to test it out. If it does match, it'd be a pretty sick look with the hid fogs on and these led strips.
If you do it, pics would be great.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you do it, pics would be great.
Def will take pics if I do this, might have to just test it out and see what it looks like before a permanent setup.

But I can't do that till I get the hids and well you know DDM...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts