Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started wanting some cause my boat trailers LED lights made my trucks rear lights look weak. Tried a cheap set of AutoZone white LED bulbs in my truck and they were dimmer than the stock bulbs. Been seeing ads for superbrightleds.com in some offshore racing magazines and gave them a call. Tech service was awesome. Guy explained that LEDs only emit one color of light and regular bulbs emit several different colors of light. Said that taillight lenses are actually filters that allow only one kind of light through them and thats why the other LED bulbs looked worse cause the white light was getting much past the red filters in the lenses. Told the tech I wanted the brightest ones that they offered for my tundra and he said the Red #3157-R18-T were the ones i wanted. Drove to St. Louis (30 minute drive) the next day and picked them up. All I can say is holy sh*t they are bright!!! Makes a new cadillac's LED taillights look weak. Next up, I'm gonna replace all my courtesy and navigation lights on my Baja Outlaw with their stuff. My taillights are now just as bright as the ones on the boat's Heritage trailer. Very impressed and they stand behind their product too :tu:

18 High Power SMD LED 3156/3157 Tower Bulb Specifications

·
Registered
916 Posts
What kind of warranty do they offer? He is very correct, you want colored LED's behind colored lenses. Halogen bulbs send light in a 360 degree sphere, which hits the reflectors and gives a wide band of light. Cheap LED bulbs that only fire out the top don't use the reflector at all and appear very weak and ineffectual.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your unhappy with them you can send them back for your money back I believe. Check their website to be totally certain. Yup, the autozone ones were white and only shined straight out. That's why he recommended the tower style for the tundra.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
How is the flash rate with the LED's installed? Is faster, slower or same?

I know some vehicles require a resistor load simulator installed to control the flash rate.

Thanks for any info,

Hootbro

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't taken pics but will try to remember to do it tonight. I just replaced the brake light bulbs and not the turn signal bulbs. Response time is immediate. They definitely turn on and off quicker and are immediately at full brightness.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Haven't taken pics but will try to remember to do it tonight. I just replaced the brake light bulbs and not the turn signal bulbs. Response time is immediate. They definitely turn on and off quicker and are immediately at full brightness.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts