Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get in my truck this morning and the left blinker rapid fires (six or eight blinks a second or so) with the switch in the off position. If i trigger the switch in the left turn position, it blinks as it should at normal intervals but rapid fires in between the normal flashes.
My first thought was bad bulb, but not with the switch in the off position I would'nt think?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
756 Posts
pinched wire in the steering colum maybe? Blinker relay or bulb is all it can be. maybe a wet socket but it would be broken and I hope you would have seen that.lol...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if it is the relay or bulb, it would flash even with the switch in the off position?

·
Registered
756 Posts
maybe if it was getting wet. My first thought would be a wire grounding in the colum. that would make it possesed! that's where I would start.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Rapid blinking is caused by a blown bulb. Best to trouble shoot a leaky faucet by changing the washers before digging up the street.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Rapid blinking is caused by a blown bulb. Best to trouble shoot a leaky faucet by changing the washers before digging up the street.
This is true...when the switch is on. The OP's is doing it with the switch off. Are the turn signals actually flashing when it does this, or just the indicator in the dash? Do the headlights, horn, wipers, etc. that are wired in the steering column work correctly? If everything else is working properly, I would swap out the turn signal relay and go from there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What if there is a frayed wire or two at trailer hitch or somewhere else. Some headlights are set to come on automatically when ignition is turned on. This hot circuit could cause the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the horn and cruse don't work and the drivers side air bag light is on. I have a feeling my "Spiral Cable" has failed but it has been like that for a few weeks now. At least that's what my searches have pointed to? The blinker just started going goofy yesterday (Sun.). The blinker works fine when the key is in the ACC position, but when the engine is running is when it flashes fast....I suppose it could be the Spiral Cable furthur deteriorating.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it is the "Spiral Cable", I still have to replace it though. I went into the SM, page BE-29, got out my meter and checked pin 1 to ground (ignition switch LOCK or ACC) and no voltage, pin 1 to ground (ignition switch ON) and battery positive voltage, pin 2 to ground and continuity, etc. for all eight pins and all is as should be. I pulled the flasher out (part# 81980-02030) and took the cover off of it. There is a small circuit print board and what I am going to assume are the left and right relays that have the contacts for the lights in them. I'm going to guess the relays are spring loaded and normally open contacts, until a lower current is triggered (indicator switch on steering) pulling in the contacts and lighting the interior and exterior signal lights.

Am I somewhat on the right track as to how this works, and if so, could this be the spring starting to fatigue in the contact that controls the left signal? I would just go ahead and replace it but I cant find it at any of the local parts houses and the dealer want's over $60.00 for it. On top of that, they would not let me just plug it in to see if it was my issue or not. I found it on EBay but wanted a little more input before ordering.

Thanks for the input so far!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do your headlights come on automatically when the ignition key is turned? If so that circuit could be feeding the blinker circuit.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No they do not, totally manual. Does anyone know how to test the flasher itself, I tested the switch and harness and all is fine. I'm baffled, from what I have read, the flasher does not fail very often but it's the only thing I can think of. I just don't want to get one at $60.00 and it not be the problem!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you have a friend or neighbor with a Tundra that will lend you their flasher... or parts store that will let you return the flasher if its not needed? What about a junk yard?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts