Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So as I was working on my truck today I had the radio on, and since I didnt want to hear that annoying beep when the door is open, I left the igniton turned to the "On" position instead of the accesory (ACC) position. After about 2 hours of listening to the radio, I went to start the truck and...nothing....weird thing is that all lights/gauges are working and the radio works, power windows work. Basically everything electrical works except the ignition. I had my Dad try to jump start me, but that didnt work either, so its not the battery (at least I dont think so). Any idea what could be wrong? I was thinking maybe the starter but I really have no idea. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Get a multimeter and check battery for 12V, less than 12.5V its dead dude.

In reality its probably a dead battery, try another vehicle to jump it from-if you were using a smaller vehicle it woulda take alot of time to charge up the batt enough to crank over.

Could also swap a battery in for the heck of it, all else fails could disconnect battery and reconnect to reset the computer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
my truck does the same as well. I think in On there are more things running than just the radio and gauges.... i think the ABS turns on, etc....

My battery isn't to good anymore anyways... It causes a lot of corrosion on my connectors.:sad3d:

·
Registered
55 Posts
this happened to me on the first night i had my truck...after trying to restart for 15 mins or so i gave up and went to bed....figured i get a knew one next day ..funny thing was i left home the next day i tryed and i turned on like nothing happened...so give it some time and then try again

·
Registered
609 Posts
Put a charger on it or hook it up to another car and let it charge for 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
My truck did a similar thing the other day, it was weird because it was only sitting for 20 minutes. Headlights off, radio on but super low volume, sub woofer off. Next thing you know it wouldn't start, all the lights on the dash were freaking out. I had to call my buddy to the rescue and hear his taunts about how his Chevy starts every time! What are friends for? Funny part is, this week his Chevy has had electrical gremlins!
I took it my truck to his shop to check the battery and alternator and everything was fine. Strange. My battery was lasting +3 hours at the drive in, with the stereo cranking, that 20 minute thing last week made me wonder.

Try a charger if you have access to one, if not it could be a sign your battery is on it's way out. A few months back my mom was calling me every day or so to jump her accord, after about 4 days it no longer would jump. One thing nobody asked you, what part of your truck were you working on? If it had anything to do with your MAF sensor you may need to fiddle with that to start up. When I went from CAI back to stock my truck wouldn't start up right away, I had to play with the sensor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, this morning the truck wouldnt start so I hooked it up to a charger and let that run for about an hour. Now everthing is fine, guess the battery was just low on juice. Wheww :biggrin1:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Good to hear. When mine acted funny I was:confuseda: I just keep cables in my truck now.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Sometimes if the battery is really dead even a boost wont do the trick if you put the cables to the battery. Next time bypass the negative on the battery so the juice goes to the starter first and not the dead battery. Learned that trick years ago due to similar situation.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
You may still have battery trouble down the road. This could just be a temp solution.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You may still have battery trouble down the road. This could just be a temp solution.
Wont really know unless you have someone do a load test on the battery and even then it might still be bad.

Let it sit over the weekend if you can, if it wont start monday morning then its done for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts