Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my ball joint recall service on my Tundra earlier this week. The truck was re-aligned. However, I had noticeable vibration through the steering wheel that was unacceptable. The truck was pretty smooth before the ball joint recall was performed. Minor vibration. I called Toyota and they pretty much gave me the run around saying the ball joints will not effect the way the tire wears on the road. I laughed at them and asked how they expect to sell cars and trucks saying crap like that. It was obvious that my tires were wearing differently on the road due to the ball joint change. Anyway, I could stand the vibration any longer. It wasn't a bad vibration but it still vibrated at speeds exceeding 60 mph. I called some local tire shops to see if anybody could "shaved" my tires which means true the tire to wheel for better wearing. I found a place in Pearland - Strouhaul Tire on 288. The tires were scalped pretty bad. I even did the 5,000 mile rotation. Kinda of surprised me. The tire guy asked me if I checked the tires before I bought them to make sure they were true. Good question. Never considered that. I was always under the impression you bought new tires they supposed to be true anyway. Otherwise they were considered BLIMS. They shaved about 2/32's off the passenger tire and 3/32 off the driver's side. I still have plenty of tread left on the tire. So, boys and girls, today lesson is make sure ask to see if your new tires are true before you purchased them. If they say yes automatically. Ask them you would like some documentation/proof this is so. I spoke with several people who have multiple years of experience with tires and it turns out that alot of people do not know this before purchasing tires. It is a big manufacturing issue with the tires and it is not uncommon to have a set that is not true before putting miles on them. Each tire on my truck had three low spots in the middle of the crown profile of the tire. Anyway, I thought this was good knowledge to pass on.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Good advice. You should be able to tell if a tire was not brand new before getting installed though. The bead on the tire should give a good indication of previous use or not.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I called Toyota and they pretty much gave me the run around saying the ball joints will not effect the way the tire wears on the road. I laughed at them and asked how they expect to sell cars and trucks saying crap like that. It was obvious that my tires were wearing differently on the road due to the ball joint change.
The part I bolded is true, ie the dealership was correct. I recently read through another thread where everyone claimed how much better, smoother, etc. their truck felt after the ball joint swap...few if any seemed to realize that the difference in ride/handling was because the swap also includes an alignment. Sounds like they did a poor job aligning the truck afterward, and it also sounds like either your wheels weren't properly balanced to begin with, or either poor alignment or a worn shock absorber or both led to the cupping/scalloping on at least one corner, then when they were rotated all tires were affected--I'm taking a guess there since you said all four tires were similarly affected.

How's your alignment and shocks, and are all four wheels properly balanced? Otherwise in all likelihood the problem will return. The only tires I've heard of which are consistently labeled as problematic are either poor quality or very large with a great deal of tread depth...some tires should always be checked and trued if necessary, particularly large, heavy tires, or tires you got at a great deal but have never heard of the manufacturer...but it seems like small tires from major manufacturers tend to be true (or "true enough") from the factory. I'd carefully check your wheel weights, alignment, and shocks before getting the tires shaved...unless they're already scalloped like yours, then I'd check everything.

-Sean

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Truing a tire before buying? now that one has me wanting to get a newspaper and some T/P and have a serious moment !! I know TMI!! This seems strange to me but guess i need to find the tire shaver at the tire store?? i can imagine the looks i would get if i asked for a rubber clip job with my new tires and if i would like to pay for it seperatly or would i like the price to be included with the warranty?? Seems the manufacturer would have this issue done during manufacture of tire but i guess it could happen but would think it would be on the cheaper tires? what tire were you buying?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
a good tire shop should have a tire balancer with road force. it measures road for of a tire/wheel setup. if road force is excessive, it will measure the tire and wheel to see if it is thie wheel or tire. most of the time, with good brand name tire, the road force will be low. but once you start buying lower end tire, the road force will be higher. also, on L/T tire, the road force can be higher. but for passenger tires, road force is lower of course.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My dealearship told me that the road force balance was not worth the money and time spent? I was told they had the road force balancer machine but got rid of it? sounds like fish to me but could be it caused them too much work?? he of course would not fess that info up, just said not worth their money!!

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I would guess if they had a Road Force balance and got rid of it, it was because no one wanted to take the time to use it properly. It did cause them more work because many time you must remove the wheel and reposition the tire. This is how it get the tire is trued to the rim.
I have never had tires shaved but I think this is old technology, I've seen the Road Force balances take out vibration that you just couldn't get out any other way.
Tie-Yota, did you get the wheel alignment print out from the dealer? You said the tires where "scalped" do you mean feathered? This would meant the toe is out badly and it will happen again if not adjusted properly.
Mike

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
i was told if ya true just one tire ya void warranty on that tire and leaves ya with one tire in round with new tire tread depth and one with less than new depth? how will these tires wear?? not good anyway ya look at it to me!! buy a good tire and ya should get a good tire!! do not accept some outta round oblong reject tire!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of Road Force Balancing and whether a new tire should be "round" or "true".

I bought a brand new 4-runner last month, I noticed a vibration/shimmy off the lot. Took it back in after about 150 miles because I had other accessories to put on as part of the deal and asked them to check the balance. They did and said 3 of the 4 needed to be rebalanced.

Drove it off the lot, still shook. I didn't have the time to take it in until this past week. I made sure they had a hunter machine, and asked if they were going to do a road force balance....they said yes.

Turns out - I had 2 bad OEM Dunlop tires....I asked what they meant by "bad" - they said the tires had high road force measurements. They replaced them under warranty and it rides nice now. If I have any problems with these I'll ask for Michelins in their place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts