Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that we have several options for powered running boards and I need some opinions on their serviceability and reliability. Before I plunk down over $1000 I want to make sure that I’m getting the best available product.

I see we have several versions available that I have identified thus far, we have the:
  • AMP Research Power Step (LINK)
  • Bestop PowerBoard Running Boards (LINK)
I would appreciate any opinions and experiences associated with these products to help me make my decision. Thanks ahead of time for responding to this thread!

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had Amp steps put on my 2020 Tundra Limited TRD Package. The fit and work well. A few observations:
  • Due to the fact that the front doors arc down about 6 inches before the hinge point you need to mount the boards back a little bit. This doesn't mess with geometry or usability at all.
  • I found that aligning the seam on the cap of the back of the steps with the rear door seam worked/looked great
  • The AMP setup is physically -very- stout. I'm impressed (and see why some manufacturers use AMP for OEM)
  • They are a tiny loud (clunk) when they go down and (clunk) when they go up. You get used to it. To me it's a sign of a good solid connection. Some people have complained but... seriously... it's not a big deal and sounds good to me.
  • You really do need to wash out the folding mechanism on -all- powered boards somewhat regularly as they collect road dust and grime (just a natural fact due to their placement). Just use the "keep down" procedure (step on them before they go up and they stay down until you cycle the door again) and hit them at the car wash once in a while.
  • Instead of drilling through the folded sheet metal seam ( 4 times) to put the lights that they come with on i'd consider putting a single strip of or a warmer color temperature LED tape that is meant for undercarriage lighting. Its 12 v at the AMP controllers (I was told by the installer) so that should be super easy.

Otherwise i'm super happy with mine and I don't have to worry about the step-up bars bottoming out driving through my field anymore (the stock "predator" style toyota ones stick down pretty far).

Just my 2 cents. G'luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put the AMPs on my 2007 Tundra. Did it myself and all went well, but there is a YouTube video out there that came in handy detailing the wire hook-ups. The instructions with the boards were OK but the video made sure I did it right. I installed them in early 2013 and have had no issues at all. Real happy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys! I have a set of AMP Research Power Steps and the bypass switch on the way!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me know how you like them. I seriously thinking about getting the AMP's. Just dropped $2K on mods for my truck to get all of the chrome off the truck to make it an all black and white truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I upgraded to the AMPs in addition to the Morimoto Head/Fog lights, black door handles and mirror Covers. The truck is just the way I want it for now! I used Peter at Tonneaucovered.com for the best price I could locate. Check out the Per & Post Pics!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Real Nice truck. Those side steps change the look completely. Last year's goal was to lift the truck, suspension, alignment, etc. etc. About $3K worth of add ons. This year's goal is remove all of the chrome off the truck. The crappy part right now is for $1,800.00 I can get all of the chrome off the truck parts wise but everything is delayed in shipping or back ordered. It's killing me man. Truck is soon to be all black and white.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Running boards have to be in the top-10 "dumbest shit you can get" on a truck along with a bed length less than 6.5'.

The markets have been pushing women to buy pickups for years and it's sad. Can hardly find a real truck anymore; Regular cab, 8' bed. Glorified SUVs are taking over. Air conditioned seats, 4' beds, power running boards... free pedicure with purchase!

·
Registered
13 Posts
LMAO! That's awesome and sadly you speak the truth. Two things I do not like about my Tundra: 1) The gas mileage 2) The bed length. The thing I thought Toyota would have done by now is put the Crew Max cad on the 8 ft chassis offered on the Tundra Double Cab. That way people will have a longer bed, a true crew cab and could better utilize their truck. It seems like a no brainer but your right, all of that extra shit is more stuff that will break.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Running boards have to be in the top-10 "dumbest shit you can get" on a truck along with a bed length less than 6.5'.
I'm 5'8" not overly tall, and have a bit of a bad knee from an accident years ago. What your saying is I should slide my ass across the seat every time I get in and out of my truck and ruin the side of my seat?
When my youngest was about 3, he did a face plant onto the asphalt and smashed his face getting out of the truck, I guess he was dumb because I had just bought the truck and didnt have running boards at the time.
My mom, who just turned 80, is probably about 4'11", and can barely get in now with running boards, she must also be dumb.
Or how about in the winter time when I stand on the running boards to scrape the frost, also dumb. What I should do is get out my ladder and lean it across the fender to scrape the glass, that would be way smarter.
Yeah, running boards are sooooo dumb. :sneaky:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like you should buy a Camry and stop driving a big pickup around, honestly. If you are driving your 80 year old grandmother around in a big behemoth pickup truck you should reconsider your priorities as far as vehicles.

I've had two knee surgeries, may or may not be comparable to yours, but lifting my ass up into my old F250 without running boards actually helped it heal. It was a nice stretch a couple times per day. Id rent a car for a day before picking up my Grandmother in mine, but I already have a little sedan for things like that. My truck gets used as a TRUCK, as needed. Am I the weird one?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If you dont like them thats fine, thats your opinion, I just dont understand why someone would comment in the first place on a subject they dont even like.
And telling me I should buy a Camry because my mom is old or only real men use their trucks for real manly shit sounds pretty lame. So are you weird? I dont know about that but did you joint this forum just to try and piss people off? If you have something of value to add great, thats what places like this are for, just maybe drop the sand box mentality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This thread is about discussing power running boards! Nowhere in this did we ask for opinions associated with the need for running boards! Newbie boy find someplace else to build post counts!

Running boards are for geriatrics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In full relevance to your discussion topic, I’d like to reiterate that running boards, powered or not, are for people who probably shouldn’t own trucks in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts