Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that we have several options for powered running boards and I need some opinions on their serviceability and reliability. Before I plunk down over $1000 I want to make sure that I’m getting the best available product.

I see we have several versions available that I have identified thus far, we have the:
  • AMP Research Power Step (LINK)
  • Bestop PowerBoard Running Boards (LINK)
I would appreciate any opinions and experiences associated with these products to help me make my decision. Thanks ahead of time for responding to this thread!

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had Amp steps put on my 2020 Tundra Limited TRD Package. The fit and work well. A few observations:
  • Due to the fact that the front doors arc down about 6 inches before the hinge point you need to mount the boards back a little bit. This doesn't mess with geometry or usability at all.
  • I found that aligning the seam on the cap of the back of the steps with the rear door seam worked/looked great
  • The AMP setup is physically -very- stout. I'm impressed (and see why some manufacturers use AMP for OEM)
  • They are a tiny loud (clunk) when they go down and (clunk) when they go up. You get used to it. To me it's a sign of a good solid connection. Some people have complained but... seriously... it's not a big deal and sounds good to me.
  • You really do need to wash out the folding mechanism on -all- powered boards somewhat regularly as they collect road dust and grime (just a natural fact due to their placement). Just use the "keep down" procedure (step on them before they go up and they stay down until you cycle the door again) and hit them at the car wash once in a while.
  • Instead of drilling through the folded sheet metal seam ( 4 times) to put the lights that they come with on i'd consider putting a single strip of or a warmer color temperature LED tape that is meant for undercarriage lighting. Its 12 v at the AMP controllers (I was told by the installer) so that should be super easy.
Otherwise i'm super happy with mine and I don't have to worry about the step-up bars bottoming out driving through my field anymore (the stock "predator" style toyota ones stick down pretty far).

Just my 2 cents. G'luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put the AMPs on my 2007 Tundra. Did it myself and all went well, but there is a YouTube video out there that came in handy detailing the wire hook-ups. The instructions with the boards were OK but the video made sure I did it right. I installed them in early 2013 and have had no issues at all. Real happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts