Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sequoia
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running larger tires is a plus for snow and off road terrain, but the amount of power we lose by increasing tire diameter is quite the downer for those of us who also use our Sequoias to tow stuff.

I've been searching and can't find a damned thing regarding gear ratios on 1st gen Sequoias. What ratio do our diffs run? Are our diffs interchangeable with Tundras?

Is anybody even running different gearing? If so, did you change just the rear diff or the transfer case/front diff also? Was it a complete swap or did you swap out just the gears?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would agree with you whole-heartedly! The last time I looked, I believe it was a gear ratio of 3.91. I'm not sure, but I'll double check. It is the same gear set as for the Tundra, so you should be able to find a few different manufacturers. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of variety, but I'm looking at 4.88 or maybe a 4:56. I'm thinking a 4.56 on a 285 tire would be good okay with some JBA's and a Uni-chip. I've done gears in my other trucks, and it's expensive but the difference in drivability was well worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2001 4x4 Sequoia, Limited has an axle gear ratio of 4.10 to 1.
Not sure what's out there, but if you change the rear differential you HAVE to change the front to the exact same ratio. If you don't, your 4wheel drive won't work and you'll wear cv axles, drive shafts, tires, horribly! That's for 4x4 of course.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
My 2001 4WD Limited has 4.10 ring & pinion. I run 33" tires and notice a little by running slightly lower on the power curve but it's not enough for me to jump to lower gearing. To run 33" tires on the front I had to do sheet metal mods. lift and change the offset in the wheels and they still rub the fram a little on full steering. How big of tires are you running? I believe stock tires are about 31" so running 33" tires gives a 3.85 effective ratio. 4.36 ratio would return to stock power curve but that ratio is not available for Sequoia diffs. 4.56 is available but that would put it on the lo side and RPMs would be greater than stock gearing. I found it not to be worth changing gearing to the lo side to burn more gas to go 70 mph. I drive smart in hilly areas and use the OD lock out to prevent bumping in and out in hilly terrain.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah, I checked and mine is a 4.10 gear ratio. Just to clarify RogueRider, can you explain what size of tire you are running: is it a 285, 305, 315? Because a 285 (33") fits with a leveling kit or coil-over and no cutting. And yes, I do agree that changing to a 4.56 gear takes you beyond returning to a stock power curve....and that's pretty much the point. The Sequoia is way underpowered and needs the extra little boost in my mind. It doesn't burn up anymore gas, and probably might help get the inertia going and use less gas in town. At least that was my experience with other toyota's I've re-geared after going to a larger tire.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I ran SSR 33x12.5x16 which are slightly over 33". I had to trim the fenders and adjust the firewall with a hammer. Width and weight increases were factors as well. Now I'm running Toyo MTs 305 70 R16. I call them both 33" tires. I guess mountain dwellers are more sensitive to gearing. I mostly travel Texas and thru the desert southwest so the slight loss in power is not as noticeable. The CIA, headers and magnaflow Muffler help me enough. I think if my RPMs where 150-200 greater doing 70 mph on a flat highway I'd burn more gas.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I'm not against regearing to 4.56. I thought hard on it myself. For my situation it wasn't worth the extra $$$. Also the pinion size changes. Lower gearing makes the parts inherently weaker thus more prone to breakage.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I agree, it's pricey! Out the door, it'd be about $1700 for the front and rear installed. Yeah, you'd probably want them cryo'd for strength..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, I checked and mine is a 4.10 gear ratio. Just to clarify RogueRider, can you explain what size of tire you are running: is it a 285, 305, 315?
To clarify, the tire size (285, 305, 315) is actually the width of the tire in mm. The height of the tire's sidewall is determined by the aspect ratio. Example:

285/70 R18 - sidewall height 285 x aspect ratio 70% = 199.5mm (7.85")
285/50 R18 - sidewall height 285 x aspect ratio 50% = 142.5mm (5.61")

Since the sidewall height figures twice in the calculation of tire diameter, you're looking at an overall difference of more than four inches between the two examples.

- - -

Our 2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4 has a 4.10:1 axle ratio. We tow 5800 lbs of trailer and find that the combination works just fine.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We are aware of the aspect ratio, but thank you for sharing for those who don't know. Both RogueRider and I are both running a 16" tire, but mine are a 265/75. The point is that when going to a 285, it does change the shift points, and re-gearing can help get that back. Bye-the-way JDandBeastlet, you're motor has the VVTi engine with more power (240hp vs. 282hp) and you also have a 5speed tranny whereas we have a 4speed. The difference in towing is huge, and not apples to apples. I had a 2005 running a 285 with plenty of power, but in my 02' Sequoia it's a whole different story.

·
Registered
02 Sequoia
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little more searching came up with this:
Toyota Gear Ration and Tire chart - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

It seems with the 4.56 gears mentioned in this thread, we would need approximately a 34'' tire to keep gear ratios close to stock.

I'm still having trouble finding gear upgrades for the Tundra and still have not verified if the Tundra and Sequoia share the same front and rear differentials.

·
Registered
02 Sequoia
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And to add a little more:
Justdifferentials and JawsGear.com carry gears and it seems the Tundra and Sequoia do use the same diff (8.4'').

·
Registered
543 Posts
We are aware of the aspect ratio, but thank you for sharing for those who don't know.
My pleasure. :)

Bye-the-way JDandBeastlet, you're motor has the VVTi engine with more power (240hp vs. 282hp) and you also have a 5speed tranny whereas we have a 4speed. The difference in towing is huge, and not apples to apples. I had a 2005 running a 285 with plenty of power, but in my 02' Sequoia it's a whole different story.
Good point; I hadn't considered that. On the other hand, I often camp with a guy who has a 2001 Sequoia; he pulls a 5500-lb thirty-footer and has been across Canada and the states with it... still on the stock 4.10:1 gears. Far as I know it works fine for him... but YMMV, of course. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts